PDA

View Full Version : Major V6 gearbox problems

Slimshady
14-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Ok the score so far ------- suspected clutch problems so I arranged for the car to be taken to Mr Clutch in Norwich.

After 2 weeks they finally tell me the problem is the gearbox and I need to spend £1600 for a new Gearbox, Clutch and flywheel

(Forget the flywheel for now not sure what planet these guys are from)

MO AKA Zedy1 has helped me out no end, he has offered the earth to get me & my car back on the road.

Original plan to swap my car with one of his spare cars (& cash)

Next option was to sell me the gearbox from one of his cars until he can replace it (now this is the man that will go the extra mile and carry on until he has run out of fuel then crawl the further mile on his hands and knees just to help) ------ (Mo da man)

After telling the garage to shove it & put all the parts in a box so I can do a deal with MO and give Zantec my old box they came back with a final cost of £1100

Mmmmmmmm typical garage answer when they have lost a deal

I then told them to pack it and ship it – the sooner the better

After 4 days (yes 4 days) the manager phoned me back giving me sales s^*£ telling me they have never been beaten on cost and will match any price.

Much to my surprise they want to charge me £340 just to look at the box (work so far) now they are willing to do the lot for £950

I am now over the barrel – I have to spend £340 + approx 300 for a recon gearbox + 50 del + 340 for clutch + 200 for labour this = £1230

WTF do you do – Phoned Mo earlier and he is ok with the situation – although we checked the Mitsubishi recommended service times and in theory you can remove – recondition & replace a gearbox in 13 hours (@£40ph = £520) not sure what the rest of the time is for – lots of tea’s etc????

Anyway – I have been forced into the option of going with the deal and getting the car back on the road

A slight outburst from me but feels good to get it off my chest – any comments welcome

P.S.
Zantec – Mo might be able to sort you out
MO – you really are da man

Kieran
14-12-2005, 01:04 AM
Mmmmm..... Alarm bells are ringing - something tells me that the garage in question might resent having to do the work so cheap- and it'll be a sloppy job done...

Or am I just being a paranoid Cynic? :embarasse

Slimshady
14-12-2005, 01:10 AM
A very far point – but the garage is very respected throughout Norfolk

zentac
14-12-2005, 12:13 PM
glad your finally going to get the car back on the road, dont worry about me Ive just ordered a box from Kempy`s in NZ... where I originally got my engine from.

psbarham
14-12-2005, 12:18 PM
just been reading the owners manual ( bored while doing the school run :embarasse ) and the 2.0 and V6 gear ratios are exacally the same which suprised me a bit , probably explains why the 2.0 is a tad thirsty

zentac
14-12-2005, 03:26 PM
hmmm, when I checked CAPS they wern`t the same parts, so the same ratio`s must be mad up from completly different input and output gears. I will check again tonight.