PDA

View Full Version : Dual Entry Intercooler

bradc
18-12-2005, 03:40 AM
I saw a dual entry intercooler on this skyline where the compressed air from each turbo goes straight into the intercooler, there are no joins in the system like what our cars have. That particular skyline is running over 700hp.

I was doing some research today into trying to find an off the shelf intercooler like this, but I couldn't find any at all, apart from those that APS use in their 350Z and Monaro Twin Turbo kits

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/intercooler/intercooler.htm
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/ls1/intercooler/intercooler.htm

Both of these intercoolers should be able to fit into the front of my car, with it's aftermarket front bumper, I was thinking that the air from the front turbo could go around to the right entrance to the intercooler, and the back turbo pipe could run in the same place it usually does down to the left entrance.

But the important question is will the outlet of the intercooler be in a suitable position to run back up to the throttle body? It would need to turn around a bit past 90 degrees to go back into the engine bay.

Another advantage with these intercoolers is that the hole in my front bumper is about 180mm x 630mm which is perfect for these intercoolers, I don't see a need to go to a 300mm tall intercooler when the hole is only 180mm high.

I've emailed APS to ask if they would be able to get one of those intercoolers across to one of their NZ dealers to see if it can be fitted to my car, and hopefully they'll be able to give me a good price.

The 350Z core is 635mm x 229mm x 89mm, while the LS1 core is 540mm x 250mm x 150mm, I think the 350Z is a better option because it will provide as much frontal area as possible, and it won't go back into the front bumper as far as the LS1 model will, I intend to mount auto transmission coolers and oil coolers in that space, and a 150mm deep intercooler may make that a little difficult.

Thoughts? And most importantly would it actually be possible to route the pipe from the front turbo to the right hand side of the car, and would the exit of the intercooler be in a viable place?