PDA

View Full Version : Which manual boost controller

caishanvr4
18-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Hi guys

Im gonna purchase one of these manual boost controllers pretty soon of ebay and they range from £18.99 up to £50 quid, i aint sure of the quality of any of them as they all claim to do the same thing but i no a few of you have them fitted with great power gains and just want an opinion of what does the job. I personally like the idea of the gauge and boost controller in one:happy:
What do you guys think?

Wodjno
18-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi guys

Im gonna purchase one of these manual boost controllers pretty soon of ebay and they range from £18.99 up to £50 quid, i aint sure of the quality of any of them as they all claim to do the same thing but i no a few of you have them fitted with great power gains and just want an opinion of what does the job. I personally like the idea of the gauge and boost controller in one:happy:
What do you guys think?

I can only vouch for the Turbo XS Manual Boost Controller which i have been running on my car for around 2 yrs.. And before that it was installed on my 620ti for another 2yrs plus..Not a lot that can go wrong with it really.. Well nothing at all.. 4 years on and it still does the same thing that it did 4 years ago..
/yes

caishanvr4
18-12-2005, 08:11 PM
/pan/pan/pan/pan/pan/panwrong button again, it would help if i put the pics up /duh, i aint even had a drink.
please take a look at these tasty morsels

Kieran
18-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Personally I would get an electronic one.... :embarasse

Sorry, I know that doesn't help but I prefer their 'in-car' adjustability and the fact that they self-govern and can compensate for tired actuators and such... With a manual one I think I would spend a lot of time worrying about what kind of boost it was chucking out!

If I were to choose one, I'd probably go Turbosmart too, on the basis that it's a known quantity - just make sure you have a good boost gauge too!

TTV6VR4
18-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I would only use electronic ones. But if I was going to use a manual one I would use the Turbosmart manual boost controllers, no others. Go for the Turbosmart Dual stage boost controller! You get dual stage boost at a flick of a switch.

Wodjno
18-12-2005, 09:47 PM
I would only use electronic ones. But if I was going to use a manual one I would use the Turbosmart manual boost controllers, no others. Go for the Turbosmart Dual stage boost controller! You get dual stage boost at a flick of a switch.

Its each to there own with these things.. Some prefer the Electronic and some prefer the Manual ones.. Some have the money to spend and some don't..
/Hmmm
I initially didn't have the money and also didn't know enough about them to warrant spending £300-£400 on 1.. :inquisiti Once i learnt about what they can and can't do, i intended on purchasing an electronic controller and have thought long and hard.. /yes But at the end of the day haven't seen any hard evidence that an elecronic Boost controller is worth the extra layout. /Hmmm As the performance of my car is not exactly slow, along with others who have a Manual one. :happy:

This the one i have had for over 4 years and served me well .. I purchased it for £40 new.. And here is here Website and they are as much well known if not more than the Turbosmart ones.. /yes Good luck with your decision. :thumbsup:

http://www.turboxs.com/

Oh and they do all the electronic stuff as well /yes

strangebat
18-12-2005, 10:29 PM
I've been using a dawes device for the last six months or so: dawes (http://www.dawesdevices.com/hybrid.html) and found it does the job really well.
Personally I prefer the fit and forget side to a manual controller and at the time I was looking these had the best write ups on other forums-and they're cheap :thumbsup:

caishanvr4
19-12-2005, 02:01 AM
Choices:rolleyes4 choices:rolleyes4
I dont have the hundreds at my disposal to spend atm like wodjno said and his 0-60 times are amazing so im leaning towards the turboxs:D
Wodjno, is your BC the standard one/Hmmm

triniVr4
19-12-2005, 06:35 AM
I have teh Turbo Xs model.....i spent 50quid on them...

Wodjno
19-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Choices:rolleyes4 choices:rolleyes4
I dont have the hundreds at my disposal to spend atm like wodjno said and his 0-60 times are amazing so im leaning towards the turboxs:D
Wodjno, is your BC the standard one/Hmmm

Yup /yes

Just the standard piece of kit.. :thumbsup:

I'm sure some of the other types are just as good but like i say i haven't tried them.. Also some of them are probably easier to adjust to.. /yes But once you got it set theres no need to alter it really.. /Hmmm

pezza
19-12-2005, 05:17 PM
WODJ He will be gunning for your time.. lighter saloon without AYC gubbins etc :D watch yer back mate! (no pun intended BTW :D)

Wodjno
19-12-2005, 05:27 PM
WODJ He will be gunning for your time.. lighter saloon without AYC gubbins etc :D watch yer back mate! (no pun intended BTW :D)
Ain't Gonna happen :smug:

:smash: :tiny: /pan Saloons .. To Slooooooooooooooowwwww !!

pezza
19-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Whats was that? It was too small

Ain't Gonna happen :smug:

:smash: :tiny: /pan Saloons .. To Slooooooooooooooowwwww !!

LOL

Wodjno
19-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Whats was that? It was too small

LOL

Thats not a Nice thing to say Derek
/Hyper

caishanvr4
23-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Right woddy the gloves are off or on /Hmmm saloons to slow /pan
IF i dont beat your time im sure somebody else in a saloon will make you eat HUMBLE PIE:smug:

Wodjno
23-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Hey .. Go for it .. I take it you hav taken delivery of your newest piece of kit. /Hmmm You got it fitted and up and running yet :huh2: :evil2: You couldn't please me more if you beat or even came close to my figures .. /yes As was once said to me by a Current Member !! Imitation is the Greatest Form of Flattery.. /yes Bring on those Manual Boost Controllers.. /Banana
Forgive me if i'm wrong but i think it's Electronic, Manual, Electronic, Manual in the League of 0-60mph Gtech figures at the Moment. All Auto's /yes All Estates /yes 2 with plenty of Mods..(Elec) And 2 with Modest Mods (Man). :thumbsup: /Steeringw
Lets keep the GTech thread going with some more great figures.. :evil2: We have the weather for it.. :happy: Now lets see the Piccys . :D :D :D /lol

caishanvr4
23-12-2005, 01:12 AM
My finger was on the order button for the turboxs when i saw this one, your views wodjno??
And the banter,s all taken with a big :happy:
Its just good to no these motors are capable of such 0-60 times without ££££ being spent:thumbsup:

pezza
23-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Hurry up Paul... get fitting I want to see some sub 5 second times :thumbsup:

Like Wodj says, the weather/conditions are perfect... too perfect some nights in fact.. boost gauge needle is tickling 1.1 bar marker :rolleyes4 /help

flooring the loud pedal in 1st and 2nd is just too addictive /yes :evil2:

caishanvr4
23-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Your 0-60 times may not be in trouble atm- REMEMBER ive got a big sub in the boot that weighs a ton along with a-z,cloths,various papers and 15st of the finest muscle this side of southern england:D

Kieran
23-12-2005, 01:58 PM
....and 15st of the finest muscle this side of southern england:D

Oh goody! can I buy a pound for two? I could use a bit! /pan :embarasse

:joker:

Mikesone
30-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Having read the thread, I'm going to purchase the Turbosmart Dual Stage (I like the idea of having two settings), as I know rockall about the VR4, can anyone tell me if the Boost controller has to be piped to both turbo's or just one. I saw an option for the TurboSmart that was for TwinTurbos (only seen this option on USA websites), but does the VR4 need this??

Thanks

Wodjno
30-12-2005, 07:34 PM
My finger was on the order button for the turboxs when i saw this one, your views wodjno??
And the banter,s all taken with a big :happy:
Its just good to no these motors are capable of such 0-60 times without ££££ being spent:thumbsup:

Sorry Paul.. Missed your last reply..
:embarasse Can't comment on this controller, as i said i have only ever used the 1 i have now.. /yes Those 1's seem to sell well and there reviews are good, so it's upto your fine self.. /Hmmm Though i suppose it's been so long forme to answer your post that you have already purchased 1 or tuther.. :rolleyes4

caishanvr4
31-12-2005, 02:23 PM
ITS IN THE POST WITH ME BOOST GAUGE :rolleyes4

Wodjno
31-12-2005, 04:56 PM
ITS IN THE POST WITH ME BOOST GAUGE :rolleyes4

No Bl**dy good in the Post..
/pan

So which one.. /Hmmm I reckon you went for dual.
/yes

caishanvr4
31-12-2005, 07:47 PM
NO....:evil2: I WENT FOR THIS ONE :evil2:
PEZ AND WODJNO BE AFRAID/STP BE VERY AFRAID

AHA HA HA HA HAH HA HAH HA HAH HA HAH HAAH HAAHAHAH

Wodjno
31-12-2005, 08:26 PM
NO....:evil2: I WENT FOR THIS ONE :evil2:
PEZ AND WODJNO BE AFRAID/STP BE VERY AFRAID

AHA HA HA HA HAH HA HAH HA HAH HA HAH HAAH HAAHAHAH

Yes .. It looks very "Pretty" i must admit
/STP
It has a spring :inquisiti Springs can go wrong . /yes
:joker:

caishanvr4
01-01-2006, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by wodjno
It has a spring, springs can go wrong :P
Yes it can go wrong but as long as it gives me grins and mad laughter after /Steeringw im a happy bunny :smug:

caishanvr4
01-01-2006, 03:23 AM
it also comes with a vacuum line for in car adjustments :smug:

Wodjno
01-01-2006, 10:21 AM
it also comes with a vacuum line for in car adjustments :smug:

Mine to /Hmmm
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
MY RIGHT FOOT /yes /Steeringw

caishanvr4
07-01-2006, 03:30 PM
:bananadan/Poms/BananaYeeaahh... my boost gauge came today. Just awaiting arrival of my controller now /Devil5

Pezz & wodjno, i can here you guys quaking in ya 5 door freak mobiles

Saloons ROCK

Wodjno
07-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Saloons ROCK

And Roll
/Hmmm

Bet your getting an Itchy Right foot now. /yes

Have you driven any VR4 with the Boost uped yet /Hmmm

caishanvr4
07-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I have never had the privilage to drive a vr4 with upped boost but with the power you gain i just cant believe it until ive experienced it for myself :rolleyes4

psbarham
07-01-2006, 04:35 PM
I have never had the privilage to drive a vr4 with upped boost but with the power you gain i just cant believe it until ive experienced it for myself :rolleyes4
oh , trust me anything else will feel sooooo slow , i had driven 2 standard VR4's before i drove wodjno's , and the difference is fooking unreal , its instant when you put your foot down , i did about 5 -6 miles in it and still didn't get used to it /Hmmm in fact i think its time for a refresher :happy: pleeeeease glenn pleeeeease , pretty please ?

caishanvr4
07-01-2006, 04:37 PM
OMG, i cant wait, if i was a woman i,d be w#t

caishanvr4
07-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Not that anybody gives a hoot but here is my boost gauge :happy:

Wodjno
07-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Not that anybody gives a hoot but here is my boost gauge :happy:

TaWitt TaWoo ! TaWitt TaWoo ! /pan Sorry

:embarasse

Looks nice.. Better than my old one stuck away in the Coin Tray.. :embarasse

Thats what i was figuring if you had or hadn't driven 1 with boost upped. /Hmmm As Paul says you will be Fooking amazed.. If you drive yours in Auto alot instead of Tip when yor having a Raz, you will have to change your driving style especially in the wet. As where before you could just floor it and let it kick down in a corner, you will now have to beware as with the extra power gain that kick will be rather substantial especially if when you kick it down it's in the 3000rpm to 4000rpm range.. Watch you back end .. /yes :evil2:

caishanvr4
07-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Ooh goodness, if i was a woman id be sitting in a puddle right now, and not in the rain either /Devil5

Wodjno
07-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Ooh goodness, if i was a woman id be sitting in a puddle right now, and not in the rain either /Devil5

This is certainly going to add to the fun factor..
/yes

But be careful to start with ;)

Quail
08-01-2006, 03:58 AM
Im also waiting on a MBC and Apexi Boost Gauge.... And a VR4!

Maybe I should get used to it in standard form before getting all these mods on straight away!

caishanvr4
13-01-2006, 04:18 PM
:drummer: I am pleased to announce the arrival of a box today with go faster bits in it/Banana/PomsWodjno and pezza be warned, your 0-60 times will be in peril, Their is a new film out which pez and wod shoul see, its called

The Saloons Strike Back /Devil5

pezza
13-01-2006, 04:31 PM
As Glenn says watch ya backend on the bends *hmm not best choice of words but hey :joker: * With no AYC you will perfect your drift skills to no end :D

OH... and Wave goodbye to that 270 odd miles from a full tank! /yes

Let us know when you are ready to step up to the table .... :evil2:

/edit OH and keep that boost gauge needle well away from the red! :rolleyes4

Sports GT
18-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Question.. What is boost cut set at on the 6A12/6A13...?

ako
18-01-2006, 01:54 AM
There is no PSI value for the fuel cut on mistubishis.

6A12 you'll find it around 19-20psi @ 3000, 6A13 around 14psi @ 3000. Higher revs you can get away with more.

Bear in mind, the cut occurs when you hit 115% duty cycle on your injectors in the 6A12, and the 6A13's fuel pump can't handle more than 14psi either.

Food for thought :)

nismoevo
08-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Anyone have pictures when they fit the dawes device on the vr4

Does the stock fuel pump handle 0.9-1.0bar of boost?

Wodjno
08-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Anyone have pictures when they fit the dawes device on the vr4

Does the stock fuel pump handle 0.9-1.0bar of boost?

Stock Pump is no probs at 1 bar.. Even 1.2 bar :D

There are pics on here somewhere and diagrams ?

nismoevo
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
big difference when you upped the boost to 1.0bar?

I think mine is around 0.6bar now manual legnum

Wodjno
08-05-2008, 03:52 PM
big difference when you upped the boost to 1.0bar?

I think mine is around 0.6bar now manual legnum

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!! Diffrence /yes

shaun1978
08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
yeah mine turns into an animal when i up it lol

bennyc1986
13-05-2008, 11:30 PM
does any 1no wat the safe boost pressure is on a vr4?

Wodjno
13-05-2008, 11:34 PM
does any 1no wat the safe boost pressure is on a vr4?

If no other mods.. 12-13psi is a good average /yes

Aslong as your not getting fuel cut that is :inquisiti And not getting large spikes between changes ?