PDA

View Full Version : Southern Meet 6 - Island Invasion !

Spirit
21-12-2005, 01:45 AM
At last weekends SM5 we were already discussing plans for SM6.

As Philip and Paul both made the effort to travel to us, we thought it would be good to return the compliment and pay them a visit.

Therefore, SM6 should be a rather special event.......on the Isle of Wight !

Initially we are aiming for maybe the first weekend in April 2006. Hopefully the weather will be kinder then, and its a few days before RT3.

I have started this thread, but Philip (FatGeek) has kindly volunteered to do the organising. We plan to make a weekend of it, departing the mainland the Friday night and staying over Friday/Saturday night and travelling back the Sunday afternoon.

So lets kick off with an initial show of hands :drummer:

Interested Parties:

Hotel: Premier Travel Inn (Newport) - Friday 31st March & Saturday 1st April-book online for both nights....but you must telephone them to book just the Saturday night. For the ferry go to www.redfunnel.co.uk - going from Southampton to East Cowes - depart 7pm 31/3 and return 3.30pm 2/4

Spirit & Missbitchy - hotel & ferry booked
Kieran & Alex - hotel & ferry booked
HJM's - hotel & ferry booked
PSBarham - withdrawn
The Vee's - hotel & ferry booked
ABEsport - hotel booked
FatGeek & Shaz
Paul Beazer
Kato - withdrawn
Polabear & Val - hotel booked
Jakester & Erica -withdrawn
Nevgroom + 1 - withdrawn
g8legnum + 1 -withdrawn
Wildcards - withdrawn

Kieran
21-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Yeah, faniced visiting the IOW for a while. think that would be worth a trip - having looked on the AA's website, the trip to Portsmouth docks (where I presume we would cross) is not much different to where we picked Goldie up from, and that wasn't so bad!

Obviously can't confirm just yet, but it sounds like a good bet - and it would be a fresh location to invade! :chugchug:

Big Ian
21-12-2005, 07:51 AM
:embarasse sorry, a-bit out of the way for me ( /Hmmm we are also away on holiday in April)

HJM
21-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Count us in :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
21-12-2005, 10:57 AM
By the first weekend in April, I guess you mean friday 31st March, with the sat and sun being the 1st and 2nd? I can't make that weekend. :embarasse

Shame, as Vicky was interested to come as well.

psbarham
21-12-2005, 11:44 AM
put us down as a possibility :thumbsup: should be good /Steeringw

FatGeek
21-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi all,

Yes, this is *not* an April Fool's joke - the Isle of Wight has some great open roads /Steeringw , and only about 3 speed cameras and 4 traffic lights at last count (OK, I might be exaggerating a little there, but there really are very few "obstacles" to a great drive!). I suggest we make Cowes base camp, because a) we live here!, and b) it's less of a "culture shock" to you English :joker: .

The ferries run from Southampton - recommended for those coming in from the west or north (about 1½ hrs (ish!) down the M3 from the M25, or down the A34 from the M40) - and Portsmouth. Southampton to Cowes is operated by Red Funnel (http://www.redfunnel.co.uk) and and Portsmouth to Fishbourne is operated by Wight Link (http://www.wightlink.co.uk) (15-20 min drive to Cowes once on the island).

According to the Isle of Wight tourism office, there are no organised events currently planned for the weekend of 1/2 April, so all roads should belong to us! I'll come up with a proposed "round the island" road rally route, and run it by Paul to make sure I haven't left out any nice stretches of tarmac.

I'll also post shortly a list of B&Bs in Cowes, but if desparate we can put up as many as 6 people (sofas and inflatables included!). Suggested itinerary:

Friday evening: Dinner in Cowes
Saturday: "Round the Island" run - starting after breakfast ("full English" for those staying with us!), heading out to the Needles to play tourist and ride the chair lift, then on around the island in a vaguely figure-eight course covering the best roads with the fewest possible traffic lights and speed cameras (and of course including a pub lunch)
Sunday: Carvery roast in Sandown, romantic walk on the beach, possibly a dip in the lovely warm English Channel (OK, OK, maybe the island isn't *that* tropical!)

Finally, the most important note: Don't foget your passports! :drummer:

Looking forward to having you all over,
Philip & Shaz

ANTHONY
21-12-2005, 07:52 PM
put me down as a possable .....just need to sort visas

The Vee
21-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Me 'n D Defo. Need to nail the date so I can book it off

ANTHONY
21-12-2005, 09:45 PM
http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/redfunnel/holidays/pages/showaccommodation.php?accommodationid=1 (http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/redfunnel/holidays/pages/showaccommodation.php?accommodationid=1) as a start just found this

Spirit
21-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Already looks like it could be the largest Southern Meet yet :thumbsup:

Shame you and Vicky can't make it Nick. In fact the Friday may be awkward for us too as it's the last day of March (plate change month) so we may not get there until the Saturday.

Added Philip and Paul to the list :thumbsup:

kato
21-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Count me in, any objections to bringing my dog, may as well make it a family outing.

P.S He only eats scoobys like the rest of us.

Spirit
21-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Count me in, any objections to bringing my dog, may as well make it a family outing.

I guess it depends if the hotel will allow pets

Nick Mann
21-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Shame you and Vicky can't make it Nick. In fact the Friday may be awkward for us too as it's the last day of March (plate change month) so we may not get there until the Saturday.

We are going to a big family wedding on the saturday. Never mind. Just take lots of photos and get that bullet cam earning its keep again! Not as good as being there, but at least it brings a smile to my face!

FatGeek
22-12-2005, 12:08 AM
http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/redfunnel/holidays/pages/showaccommodation.php?accommodationid=1 (http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/redfunnel/holidays/pages/showaccommodation.php?accommodationid=1) as a start just found this

That is a magnificent place, driven by it many times. It's on the wrong side of the river (there's East Cowes, and then there's Cowes, don't you know!), but it's certainly at the nice end of East Cowes. And at the mid-season price of £84 (including ferry) for two nights, it's like staying at a Novotel with a boat trip thrown in for free!

Good find, ABEsport :scholar:

Spirit
22-12-2005, 12:53 AM
at the mid-season price of £84 (including ferry) for two nights, it's like staying at a Novotel with a boat trip thrown in for free!

Not quite, the price is £84 per person - Novotel is usually £50 for a room not per person.....but then this is just a slightly higher standard :thumbsup:

FatGeek
22-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Not quite, the price is £84 per person - Novotel is usually £50 for a room not per person.....but then this is just a slightly higher standard :thumbsup:

Bah! Yes, I realised that after posting. Still a very nice looking place, though.

FatGeek
22-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Now pay attention, 007!

Red Funnel's ferries have 2 car decks, and the boarding ramp to the upper deck at the Southampton end is very tight and has several nasty dips/bumps in it, so I would recommend asking the guys at the dock to put you on the lower deck if you have a lowered car or dangly-down exhaust.

When you arrive at the Southampton Red Funnel dock, ask the guy at the entrance booth (if manned) to put you in the lane for the lower deck, and *also* ask the guy directing you on board to please put you on the lower deck (you may want to get out of the car and go find the bloke before they start boarding).

You have been warned! I've taken my VR-4 on the upper deck with no problems (although the ramp is really tight), but mine's completely unmodified.

- Philip

FatGeek
22-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Already looks like it could be the largest Southern Meet yet :thumbsup:

Added Philip and Paul to the list :thumbsup:

Is it worth seeing who could make it the weekend before, 24-26 March, if the 1st weekend of April is no good? I don't mind either weekend.

Nick Mann
22-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Don't change it just for me! The southern contingent get priority, the rest of us will come along if we can!

HJM
22-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Go on Nick - force yourself - yes its warmer, but southerners don't bite /pan

Oh and for missing you last weekend: Man City 4 - 1 Birmingham :happy: (Don't tell me you're a Villa fan ?)

H

Polabear
22-12-2005, 03:47 PM
At last weekends SM5 we were already discussing plans for SM6.

As Philip and Paul both made the effort to travel to us, we thought it would be good to return the compliment and pay them a visit.

Therefore, SM6 should be a rather special event.......on the Isle of Wight !

Initially we are aiming for maybe the first weekend in April 2006. Hopefully the weather will be kinder then, and its a few days before RT3.

I have started this thread, but Philip (FatGeek) has kindly volunteered to do the organising. We plan to make a weekend of it, departing the mainland the Friday night and staying over Friday/Saturday night and travelling back the Sunday afternoon.

So lets kick off with an initial show of hands :drummer:

Interested Parties:

Spirit & Missbitchy
Kieran & Alex
HJM's
PSBarham
The Vee's
ABEsport
FatGeek & Shaz
Paul Beazer
Kato

Add Pola & Val to the list too peeps.... :thumbsup:

The Vee
22-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey Da Bear!! Nice one Pola :thumbsup: :drummer:

Nick Mann
22-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Go on Nick - force yourself - yes its warmer, but southerners don't bite /pan

Oh and for missing you last weekend: Man City 4 - 1 Birmingham :happy: (Don't tell me you're a Villa fan ?)

H

I do want to - but I'm not going to miss my cousins wedding. :embarasse

Not a footy fan at all I'm afraid, so you are not going to get me on that one! I work amongst fans of Birmingham, Villa, Wolves and Baggies though so there is always a wind up possible here! :smug:

Spirit
22-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Add Pola & Val to the list too peeps.... :thumbsup:

Excellent news mate :thumbsup:

Paul Beazer
22-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Ooooh, i dont log on for 2 days and what happens? You start to organise a meet while my backs turned!!! Well, im not sure if i can make it, it quite a drive to Cowes from Ryde /pan
For those of you who now have a discount package form staying in travelodges (Yes you HJM's!!!) there is one in Newport (20 mins drive from Cowes)

Start of april the weather should be getting quite nice again too.

There are some fun roads to drive and as Philip has mentioned, not many speed cameras (all of them in either 30 or 40 mph limits). Lots of things to do / places to visit and we are quite welcoming, even to gingas K (joke).

Seriously it would be fabbo to get lots of people over here. I'll try and get together with Philip to see what we can up with to keep you all entertained!

My car might even be fixed by then ( i hope ) :embarasse

Philip you have a PM

Paul (bruised, battered and broken, the car, not me)

jakester
22-12-2005, 11:37 PM
This sounds like fun :), please put me (Jake) and Erica down for the weekend :)

Spirit
23-12-2005, 07:34 AM
This sounds like fun :), please put me (Jake) and Erica down for the weekend :)

You have been added :thumbsup:

NevGroom
23-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Put me (+1) down, car'll be fixed by then plus I shouldn't be working abroad any more

g8legnum
23-12-2005, 10:42 AM
We'd be interested in coming as well if anyone else is interested in camping rather than hotelling (I know its early in the year and will probably still be bl@@dy cold, buts cheaper and could be more fun) and there is usually no problem with pets.

psbarham
23-12-2005, 10:50 AM
We'd be interested in coming as well if anyone else is interested in camping rather than hotelling (I know its early in the year and will probably still be bl@@dy cold, buts cheaper and could be more fun) and there is usually no problem with pets.
/Hmmm i ve got a 6 berth trailer tent

ANTHONY
23-12-2005, 05:52 PM
OH KNOW 11 PEOPLE ALREADY /help ....LOOKS LIKE WE MAY START A TRAFFIC JAM /Steeringw

Paul Beazer
23-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Abe - Ha, you funny man, you die last!
G8 - plenty of good camping on the island, shouldnt be that cold by april. Let me know if you need any recommendations!

FatGeek
24-12-2005, 01:28 AM
OH KNOW 11 PEOPLE ALREADY /help ....LOOKS LIKE WE MAY START A TRAFFIC JAM /Steeringw

Well the Austin Seven club seems able to coax their 50 or so cars around the island once a year, and they're clockwork! So, we have a little way to go yet! /pan

Spirit
24-12-2005, 02:31 AM
Nev and Pete added to the list :thumbsup:

ANTHONY
24-12-2005, 11:49 AM
looks like its gonna be a good turn out

ANTHONY
24-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Well the Austin Seven club seems able to coax their 50 or so cars around the island once a year, and they're clockwork! So, we have a little way to go yet! /pan pmsl:thumbsup: no afence ment to you or Paul. i do love the island

Paul Beazer
24-12-2005, 01:25 PM
pmsl:thumbsup: no afence ment to you or Paul. i do love the island

Dont worry mate, it takes a lot to offend me, like subarus /pan

Look forward to seeing you there!

BTW You all might to check out the cost of ferry fares in advance, they are a bit shocking, however a bulk booking might take care of that, i'll do some searching.....

g8legnum
24-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Abe - Ha, you funny man, you die last!
G8 - plenty of good camping on the island, shouldnt be that cold by april. Let me know if you need any recommendations! Stick us down as a tentative then - thats me, the missus and the two dogs. Recommendations on camp sites local to Cowes, so we're in the same vicinity as the rest of you, would be appreciated. :happy: /Steeringw

FatGeek
25-12-2005, 10:14 AM
pmsl:thumbsup: no afence ment to you or Paul. i do love the island

Not offended at all! Was trying to make a joke at the expense of the Austin Seven club! :joker:

ANTHONY
25-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Not offended at all! Was trying to make a joke at the expense of the Austin Seven club! :joker:its ok mate:thumbsup: no worrys

ANTHONY
08-01-2006, 06:46 PM
just thought i'd get this thread up and running again for the new year

WildCards
08-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Kate and I will come - £84pp or per room for the accomodation? Now, lets see if i can get a VR4 by then? Anyone lend me one for the weekend just in case.

Steve

Paul Beazer
09-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Im trying to sort out some sort of discount for the car ferry ATM. I "may" have a contact, will mail him to see what he suggests.
Watch this space!

ANTHONY
09-01-2006, 11:32 PM
nice one paul :thumbsup:

SGHOM
09-01-2006, 11:40 PM
in april you say ?? /Hmmm on an island ?? /Hmmm

mmm?? :inquisiti :inquisiti

Paul Beazer
10-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Go on Derek, you know you want to!

Bring Barry along too if you can drag yourself away from Celebrity big Brother! /pan

ANTHONY
10-01-2006, 10:04 PM
in april you say ?? /Hmmm on an island ?? /Hmmm

mmm?? :inquisiti :inquisitiits ok derek you dont need a passport and us southeners dont bite

stevec205gti
20-01-2006, 08:29 PM
There are some fun roads to drive and as Philip has mentioned, not many speed cameras (all of them in either 30 or 40 mph limits). Lots of things to do / places to visit and we are quite welcoming, even to gingas K (joke).

Seriously it would be fabbo to get lots of people over here. I'll try and get together with Philip to see what we can up with to keep you all entertained!

Maybe so - but you're not mentioning all the perils of island driving - nowhere else in the country will you be enjoying a spirited drive, only to go round a corner and be faced with a typical Island granny doing 15mph (and this isn't one of those gross exagerations - these are actual speeds!) without a care in the world! It makes avoiding speed cameras look a doddle!

On a more serious note, it's a great place to drive, with beautiful scenery and great twisty little roads, if a little bumpy, and in my view the only better way to get around is on a push bike

WildCards
20-01-2006, 08:45 PM
mmm camping, Kate and i could be up for a bit of under the stars action err kip!

ANTHONY
24-01-2006, 05:46 PM
any more news yet ?

Paul Beazer
24-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Might be......

Spirit
24-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Sorry guys, we may have to pull out of this one........new business, time, finances before RT3 and all that :embarasse

gdelargy
24-01-2006, 07:16 PM
as a start just found this:
Albert Cottage Hotel, Isle of Wight (http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/redfunnel/holidays/pages/showaccommodation.php?accommodationid=1)
Not that I'll be going or anything (Glasgow to Isle of Wight and I don't have a VR4 yet? I think not), but I definitely think you should all stay there. Read the review:

"Albert Cottage, situated in East Cowes, was once the home of Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria’s younger daughter. The cottage, set in 2 acres of beautiful gardens backs onto Osborne House, Queen Victoria’s favourite holiday residence. The property is less than one mile from Red Funnel’s ferry terminal. 3 Diamonds."

Is that an official Club VR4 seal of approval? /Hmmm

The second paragraph sez no pets allowed, though.

Regards,
G

HJM
24-01-2006, 07:44 PM
The second paragraph sez no pets allowed, though.

Sorry Shaz - you''ll have to go on your own /grr (waits for /Handbag )

H

Paul Beazer
24-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Where you gonna be staying then Heath?? /pan

Seriously tho, back on topic. Philip (fatgeek) and i are planning a trial run and a brainstorming session on sunday to get an idea of how we can keep you loonies occupied for the day. The idea is drive, few senic oohs and ahhs, drive again, lunch, brum, parp etc....

Just a thought, there is a good go karting track on the island HERE (http://www.kartingiow.com/) (NO not the roads) any one fancy it at all? We could have our own CVR4 derby???

Paul

WildCards
24-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Just a thought, there is a good go karting track on the island HERE (http://www.kartingiow.com/) (NO not the roads) any one fancy it at all? We could have our own CVR4 derby???

Paul

/yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes

Paul Beazer
24-01-2006, 10:58 PM
/yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes /yes

Undecided are we?? /Hmmm

WildCards
24-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Undecided are we?? /Hmmm

/pan

I do love karting though :drummer: woohoo

HJM
24-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Where you gonna be staying then Heath?? /pan

What do you think we have a leggie for :joker: /Hijack

J

ANTHONY
24-01-2006, 11:13 PM
sounds fun:thumbsup:

Kieran
24-01-2006, 11:34 PM
I like Karting... And with my super-lightweight frame, I will out accelerate you Pie-Munchers! /Devil5

Now, where's my Auto-Glym Kart-sealing compound got to?! /Hmmm :smug:

FatGeek
24-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Do the have Karts in XXXL size? Hmmm??

Paul Beazer
24-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Challenge to K " this year i will not bring cleaning into EVERY thread i post in"

The Vee
25-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Sorry guys, we may have to pull out of this one........new business, time, finances before RT3 and all that :embarasse

Damn, that's a bu&&er!!

Spirit
25-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Damn, that's a bu&&er!!

It's a "may" at the moment, sort of a pre-warning rather than a last minute thing. One main issue is Shaz does not want to take the p1ss and ask her mum to have Conor so close to RT3, which is understandable. This is in addition to the new venture etc.

Paul Beazer
25-01-2006, 01:36 PM
New Venture?? :inquisiti :inquisiti

ANTHONY
25-01-2006, 06:46 PM
It's a "may" at the moment, sort of a pre-warning rather than a last minute thing. One main issue is Shaz does not want to take the p1ss and ask her mum to have Conor so close to RT3, which is understandable. This is in addition to the new venture etc. you could always bring him with you. after all it is only the IOW pete

Spirit
25-01-2006, 06:57 PM
New venture is the setting up of a new business I am involved in.

We may still decide to come and bring Conor - only issue normally is boredom, you know what 9 year olds are like ! Not sure his PSP could even deflect that for a whole weekend but who knows

ANTHONY
25-01-2006, 07:01 PM
its ok pete my 12 year old will be there with his psp

WildCards
30-01-2006, 01:22 PM
there is a good go karting track on the island HERE (http://www.kartingiow.com/) (NO not the roads) any one fancy it at all? We could have our own CVR4 derby???

Paul

Any update on this? Sounds a cracking idea to me, and i need to know whether or not to stop eating the pies. /pan

ANTHONY
30-01-2006, 11:58 PM
bump

Paul Beazer
31-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Alright you lot clam down. I have heard rumors that the kart trck has been shut down by the local council due to noise issues. Will look into this and let you know.....

WildCards
31-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Cheers Paul, any other good karting tracks over there?

Is there any chance on getting some definate figures/details for this as Kate and I are thinking of pulling a few days in before the meet to make a 4 or 5 day weekend of it.

Cheers

Steve

Paul Beazer
31-01-2006, 11:43 PM
I was intending to meet up with fatgeek tonight to go over some things, but im going to a funeral in suffolk tomorrow (yay get my car on some decent FAST roads!) so we're gonna get together next week hopefully.

No other karting track on the island, but there are other things......

ANTHONY
31-01-2006, 11:54 PM
have we got any hotels sorted yet or some idea where the best one's are as they may start to get booked up would be a shame to miss out

HJM
01-02-2006, 09:26 AM
We won't be able to make this - sorry - hope you all have a great weekend though /yes

:chugchug:

Polabear
01-02-2006, 10:55 AM
New venture is the setting up of a new business I am involved in.

We may still decide to come and bring Conor - only issue normally is boredom, you know what 9 year olds are like ! Not sure his PSP could even deflect that for a whole weekend but who knows

Your going for it then mate... Well Done and the best of luck, and you WILL be here with the rest of us... /grr :thumbsup: see you sunday (with Val) :thumbsup:

NevGroom
01-02-2006, 12:43 PM
If this is still on 1/2 April I will not be able to make it as I stupidly booked a holiday that coincides.............<p>Now have to consider RT3 instead!

WildCards
02-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Think we may pull out of this too. Funds won't allow too many events this year and with Japfest not too long after this, and the promise of track time I'd rather go there TBH.

Sorry guys, maybe next time.

The Vee
03-02-2006, 09:45 PM
have we got any hotels sorted yet or some idea where the best one's are as they may start to get booked up would be a shame to miss out

Yep, need to book this soon. Have booked time off work for this, so if any change of dates are likely, please let us know soon. Otherwise will be booking the Friday and Saturday nights. Not fussed which hotel, but would be good if we can all be at the same one. Do we fancy Premier Travel type thing or the more expensive job mentioned earlier. Only a few weeks to go!!

The Vee
07-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Bump. There's a premier travel thingy in Newport, is that any good for location?

Spirit
07-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Looks good to me - £53 a night for a family room is ideal, and it's next door to a Brewers Fayre too

Paul Beazer
07-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Its about 10 mins from cowes and pretty central for anywhere on the island. Some decent pubs nearby too!

The Vee
08-02-2006, 01:43 AM
Have booked this one for Fri/sat nights. In the search, look for Isle of Wight (Newport)

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/home.do

Spirit
08-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Okay, I have booked for the 31st and 1st :happy:

Spirit
08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Just re-reading this, can we get final numbers of who is definately attending now then so we can finalise plans.

HJM
08-02-2006, 06:59 PM
OK, U turn made and hotel booked :d

But only coming to get my revenge on Mr Beazer for his comments yesterday /Devil5

What time are you thinking of heading over on Friday :inquisiti

J :happy:

Spirit
08-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey great news guys :iloveyou:

I guess we will meet up with Sean and Val and travel up.....maybe we could mini convoy with you to the ferry ?

HJM
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Hey great news guys :iloveyou:

I guess we will meet up with Sean and Val and travel up.....maybe we could mini convoy with you to the ferry ?

Cheers Pete - sounds good - let us know what time you are likely to leave :happy:

I guess ferry is the next step then :inquisiti

J

Spirit
08-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Looks like these are the routes:

Spirit
08-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Just got a quote:

From Lymington at 18.45pm departure on 31st and return at 4pm on 2nd would be £69.00

HJM
08-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Red Funnel are doing similar times from Southampton to Cowes for just over £50 :inquisiti

Not sure how long the crossing is though?

J

Spirit
08-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Red Funnel are doing similar times from Southampton to Cowes for just over &#163;50 :inquisiti

Not sure how long the crossing is though?

Yeah, see that - leaving at 6pm and returning at 3.30pm = &#163;50.50 - the crossing time is 55mins

HJM
08-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, see that - leaving at 6pm and returning at 3.30pm = £50.50

Strangely, leaving at 7 and returning at 4 is £47.74 ??

The Vee
08-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Great news HJMs you know it makes sense !! The Southampton one is the best for us and quoted at 55mins crossing. Tis the cheaper of 'em, suspect that's because it'll be slightly less popular as the crossing is a little longer.

Spirit
08-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Yeah, the Lymington crossing is 30mins. Also I thought Lymington would be closer to us than Southampton.......but both come up as 148 miles from Plymouth :inquisiti

Anyhow, we would have to leave when Conor finishes school....so 3.30pm earliest.......guess the 7pm ferry would be a bit iffy.....:inquisiti, maybe we can ask if he can leave a bit earlier

ANTHONY
08-02-2006, 10:03 PM
just tryed to book hotel ..............NO ROOMS

Spirit
08-02-2006, 10:06 PM

It's coming up with family no-smoking & smoking rooms.....get booking !

HJM
08-02-2006, 10:07 PM

Tony, are you booking for one or two nights? When I looked at 1 night, it wasn't having any of it but I've just tried now for 2 and it has rooms?

J

HJM
08-02-2006, 10:08 PM
It's coming up with family no-smoking & smoking rooms.....get booking !

lol - me too slow /pan

ANTHONY
08-02-2006, 10:16 PM
computer still says NO............. i hate these online booking things

Spirit
08-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Well I have literally just booked Polabears !

ANTHONY
08-02-2006, 10:21 PM
ahh!! now i know what it wont do .... it wont book just the saturday only friday and saturday but i was only gonna go for sat nite/help

The Vee
08-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Just tried it again myself - got one. Are you using the link I posted a few posts back? If so, where the drop down says "pick one" go in for Isle Of Wight (newport) and follow the rest of requirements. If you still fail, can always book it for you

The Vee
08-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Just got your next post !!

Spirit
08-02-2006, 10:25 PM
How does that work, what a con......rooms for 2 nights but not one !!!

ANTHONY
08-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Tony, are you booking for one or two nights? When I looked at 1 night, it wasn't having any of it but I've just tried now for 2 and it has rooms?

J thats what happend to me i'm trying to book 1 nite

ANTHONY
08-02-2006, 10:31 PM
i supposs i could aways book 2 nits then cancel the friday do you think the would wear that

Spirit
08-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Took the bull by the horns and called them ! Said what a con it was and the guy checked and they have rooms available for the Saturday only Tony......so call them direct on 08701 977 144 and he will book you one :2thumbsup

Spirit
08-02-2006, 10:36 PM
i supposs i could aways book 2 nits then cancel the friday do you think the would wear that

No need - see my last post !

The Vee
08-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Good on ya Pete:2thumbsup

ANTHONY
08-02-2006, 10:45 PM
:2thumbsup cheers pete...... just called them and booked::2thumbsup :happy:

HJM
08-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Nice one -well done guys :2thumbsup

Spirit
08-02-2006, 11:20 PM
:2thumbsup cheers pete...... just called them and booked::2thumbsup :happy:

Excellent !

I have updated the list on page one, and PM'd the remaining people on the list to ask them to confirm attendance (or not).

So come on the I-O-W guys.....what are the plans ?

WildCards
08-02-2006, 11:22 PM
NOT Attending - budget won't stretch to this and a full event at Japfest a month later. Sorry guys, will have to wait for the next one.

psbarham
08-02-2006, 11:23 PM
i thought i had already declined this one but obviously not DOH !! we won't be able to make this one (obviously) what with moving house etc sorry folks , oh i just thought of a solution , if you all hire pedalos then you can tow the IOW round into the wash then i won't have quite as far to go.:inquisiti
thanks for the reminder pete :thumbsup:

Kieran
08-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Have booked this one for Fri/sat nights. In the search, look for Isle of Wight (Newport)

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/home.do

Okay, just booked in - Wouldn't accept one of my debit cards, the card I've had to use expires in April.... Hope they don't get shirty about it!:inquisiti

We're taking the Friday off so that we can have a leisurely drive down, rather than a frantic mad dash after work!/help

The Vee
08-02-2006, 11:40 PM
K,What time are you thinking of leaving your area

''''''''''''''''

Spirit
08-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Excellent news Kieran........this will qualify you as a fully fledged Southern member too :happy:

Paul Beazer
08-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Excellent !

I have updated the list on page one, and PM'd the remaining people on the list to ask them to confirm attendance (or not).

So come on the I-O-W guys.....what are the plans ?

We are observing you all from afar, waiting until the moment is right...

Paul Beazer
08-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Seriously now, im trying to meet up with Phil to confirm our cunning plans, but i seem to have aquired a life from somewhere (not sure how!) and it seems to be sucking up all my spare time! /pan
We will have a get together next week and confirm our plans....

ANTHONY
08-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Excellent news Kieran........this will qualify you as a fully fledged Southern member too :happy: so who's making the badges /pan

Spirit
08-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Bearing in mind some of us won't get to the hotel until after 8pm, maybe we just arrange to meet at the Brewers Fayre next to the hotel on the Friday night ?

The Vee
Seriously now, im trying to meet up with Phil to confirm our cunning plans, but i seem to have aquired a life from somewhere (not sure how!) and it seems to be sucking up all my spare time! /pan
We will have a get together next week and confirm our plans....

What he really means is, Bu&&er, they've taken our invasion plan seriously, quick what are we gonna do now./pan /pan

/OK I'm hiding, fire your flack!!

Kieran
K,What time are you thinking of leaving your area

''''''''''''''''

Derrr!!.............:thinking: /help

Just a second - AA route planner to the rescue.....:book: ......

Right, well assuming we need to be there by about 6pm for the ferry on Friday, and the AA has 'Red Funnel' ferries listed, the AA reckon it's 184 miles and about 3hrs 52. SO, adding on time for stops and traffic I reckon leaving KieranCorp Towers at about 12:00, which should give a 2 hour buffer for delays and such.

Does this sound reasonable??:inquisiti

ANTHONY
08-02-2006, 11:52 PM
What he really means is, Bu&&er, they've taken our invasion plan seriously, quick what are we gonna do now./pan /pan

/OK I'm hiding, fire your flack!! PMSL /pan

Spirit
I think we will be aiming for the 7pm ferry if that gives you more time and you want to share the same ferry

The Vee
On a Friday - Yes. But a little early for me, so I'll see you there:2thumbsup

Kieran
08-02-2006, 11:54 PM
I think we will be aiming for the 7pm ferry if that gives you more time and you want to share the same ferry

Okay, cool - whatever! :2thumbsup

So I take it we're doing the ferry thang in clusters, rather than as one big group?:inquisiti

And if that's the case, how do we book it and everything?

/Getting in a flap!:dizzy2: :stars:

Kieran
08-02-2006, 11:57 PM
We are observing you all from afar, waiting until the moment is right...

Stop observing and get polishing, Mr. Beazer!/pan

/Mind you, 4 hours on the Motorway won't do my shine any favours, so maybe I'll be quiet now!! :uhoh2: :embarasse

ANTHONY
08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
/pan http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/ (http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/)

The Vee
08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Seems I can be more flexible on times, Mrs VEE has day off too '''''''''''''''''''''''

Spirit
09-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Happy for us all to go together if you can wait for the 7pm one .....and we thought about booking the 3.30pm one back on Sunday - &#163;47 something return Jane said

Us, Pola and the HJM's should be convoying together already

The Vee
09-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Yep I'll go for that, Pete. Do we book it ourselves or are we doing a group thing?

ANTHONY
09-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Yep I'll go for that, Pete. Do we book it ourselves or are we doing a group thing? MAY EVEN GET A DISCOUNT:pimp2:

Kieran
09-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Yep I'll go for that, Pete. Do we book it ourselves or are we doing a group thing?

Group thing perhaps? More chance of getting it right, and a group of angry people to contend with if summat does go wrong?:thinking:

HJM
09-02-2006, 09:16 AM
OK, I have called Red Funnel this morning and they don't do discounts for group bookings for cars /pan

The price I was quoted was £51.24 if I booked over the phone or you save £3.50 by booking online (hence the £47.74)

So, unless anyone knows differently, that looks like the best price :inquisiti

Are we going for these times?

Departing Friday 31st March at 7pm
Returning Sunday 2nd April at 3.30pm

Is that ok for everyone?

If so, I will book us on tonight :2thumbsup

cheers,

Kieran
09-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Sounds good to me Jane!:happy:

ANTHONY
09-02-2006, 11:14 AM
saturday morning on the 0800 crossing and coming back sunday at 15.30 will be £48.12 .this is the 1 i'm booking so i'll see you all there

FatGeek
09-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Sounds like plans are progressing well. So, here's what I'm seeing:

1) Arrive fri evening via Red Bastard F$%king Ripoff Funnel (we islanders love our ferry companies!), burn down from Cowes (not TOO fast - 40mph speed camera at bottom of hill) to Newport, to the Travel Lodge (just at end of dual carriageway, look to your left when going over river and you'll see it, then turn left then left then left again)
2) Meet at brewer's fayre pub next to Travel Lodge for drinks and a meal (8-9ish, to allow as many to get there as possible?)
3) Saturday morning THE FUN BEGINS!!

When Paul and I have drawn up the plans for the fun, we might tell you about them. Or, we might just keep it all secret (Canonball run style) until Saturday morning and surprise you with it!

MWWwwwwaaaaa HHHhhhaaaaa HHHaaaaa haaaaaa!!!

Spirit
09-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Guys.......will we have any issues getting the cars on/off the ferry - considering several of them are lowered too !

HJM
09-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Guys.......will we have any issues getting the cars on/off the ferry - considering several of them are lowered too !

Read Phil's post on page one - he has given us detailed instructions /yes

We'll let you get on first :joker:

J

Kieran
09-02-2006, 07:35 PM
We'll let you get on first :joker:

J

SKERRRRRRRRRRRUNCH!!!:inquisiti /help /pan

HJM
09-02-2006, 07:41 PM
SKERRRRRRRRRRRUNCH!!!:inquisiti /help /pan

Aah memories of RT1 :2thumbsup

H

The Vee
09-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Booked ferry:2thumbsup

HJM
09-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Booked ferry:2thumbsup

And us too :happy:

J

Spirit
09-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Ferry booked :2thumbsup

Kieran
10-02-2006, 12:14 AM
So we're booking separately for the ferry now?

What times is everyone booking for then?

HJM
10-02-2006, 12:18 AM
So we're booking separately for the ferry now?

What times is everyone booking for then?

I thought we always were, once there was no chance of a discount?

Outgoing Friday 31st March 7pm
Incoming Sunday 2nd April 3.30pm

Cheers,

Kieran
10-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Fair enough - Booked:book: (with a little help from Mrs. HJM!):2thumbsup

HJM
10-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Fair enough - Booked:book: (with a little help from Mrs. HJM!):2thumbsup

LOL - nice one (and no problem :2thumbsup ) - so is that all us 'mainlanders' booked :inquisiti

Spirit
10-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Sean is booking the ferry tomorrow - and a few names still not confirmed if coming or not yet - see page 1

HJM
10-02-2006, 01:01 AM
a few names still not confirmed if coming or not yet - see page 1

I know - it was my subtle attempt at pushing the stragglers /Devil5

Polabear
10-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Sean is booking the ferry tomorrow - and a few names still not confirmed if coming or not yet - see page 1

Oh to be back at sea...Ahhhh.. the smell of the briny..ok ferry booked....:2thumbsup

HJM
10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Look forward to seeing you again Sean :2thumbsup

What car you coming in - did you ever buy that GTO ?

H

Polabear
10-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Looks good to me - £53 a night for a family room is ideal, and it's next door to a Brewers Fayre too

Why are they quoting £46:95 per night on their website and charging £53:00...just a thought :thinking2 /Hmmm

Polabear
10-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Look forward to seeing you again Sean :2thumbsup

What car you coming in - did you ever buy that GTO ?

H

Not yet.. but the Goat wasn't for me anyway, it was for Val.. I couldn't get in or out of the bloody things...I am back in my V6-24 estate (armchair)...:zzz: same colour as Andy's saloon with the full leather interior

Paul Beazer
10-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Looking like a good turnout then! Really good that you are all keen to make the effort to come over here. Usually it acts as a deterrent to most people because of the cost of the ferry trip!
Be good to catch up with those who went to SM5 and great to meet the rest of you.
Im hoping for good weather as it can be a real treat down here in spring, fingers crossed.
A slight hijack, my car should all be back in one piece after its altercation before xmas, and quiet as i now have the replacement exhaust section in my spare room, awaiting fitting (gods knows when, i havent got any time until a week on sat!)
Phil and i should be crossing the t's and dotting the i's next week with the entertainment etc. We MAY let you know..../pan /pan

The Vee
10-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Not yet.. but the Goat wasn't for me anyway, it was for Val.. I couldn't get in or out of the bloody things...I am back in my V6-24 estate (armchair)...:zzz: same colour as Andy's saloon with the full leather interior

Hey, the man has good taste, eh PSB, the best colour or what?

/I know.........what.........thought I'd say it for you, so what ya gotta say now?/help /pan /pan

psbarham
10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Hey, the man has good taste, eh PSB, the second best colour or what?

/I know.........what.........thought I'd say it for you, so what ya gotta say now?/help /pan /pan
yup i have to agree with you there andy

The Vee
10-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Doh not even a nibble you know Roanne Red rocks !!!

Spirit
11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Phil/Paul

When you make any arrangements, can you factor in some "personal" time i.e. I know people may want to break off and do a few hours alone etc, and it will mean no-one feels they are offending the rest by disappearing for a bit.

FatGeek
11-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Pete,

Good idea - will do.

Philip

Spirit
11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks mate :2thumbsup

HJM
11-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Phil/Paul

When you make any arrangements, can you factor in some "personal" time i.e. I know people may want to break off and do a few hours alone etc, and it will mean no-one feels they are offending the rest by disappearing for a bit.

Yep, great idea Pete - I don't want to have to spend ALL weekend with Heath /pan /pan /pan

g8legnum
11-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey sorry guys, :speechles I lost the thread (geddit!) of whats happening here while moving house. I was hoping to do the camping bit - has a site been booked or is it down to me to book my own. If so any suggestions on the most local to the hotel where the rest of the group will be? /help

psbarham
11-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Doh not even a nibble you know Roanne Red rocks !!!
pay more attention /pan

Kieran
11-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey sorry guys, :speechles I lost the thread (geddit!) of whats happening here while moving house. I was hoping to do the camping bit - has a site been booked or is it down to me to book my own. If so any suggestions on the most local to the hotel where the rest of the group will be? /help

We've all booked into a Hotel - It's mentioned on about page 7 or 8.... Perhaps Paul B or someone can comment on a suitable campsite?

ANTHONY
11-02-2006, 11:05 PM
must do the ferry tomorrow /pan

g8legnum
13-02-2006, 01:36 PM
If we're doing hotels only, we shall have to bow out, on account of our four-legged 'family members' who can't be left on their own for a weekend. /Grrr

Spirit
13-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Can you not put them into kennels like many of us do ?

Kieran
13-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Can you not put them into kennels like many of us do ?

G8 - there's that, or there must be a campsite somewhere nearby?:inquisiti

Mind you, must admit that I wouldn't ever kennel a dog myself if I could avoid it.

jakester
13-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Work commitments mean we have to miss this one, sorry guys.

ANTHONY
13-02-2006, 08:26 PM
ferry now booked

HJM
13-02-2006, 08:47 PM
ferry now booked

Nice one - got our tickets today :thumbsup:

Paul Beazer
13-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Fatgeek and I are meeting tomorrow night to go over our plans to take over the world, oops sorry scratch that, the meet plans, yes thats right, no world domination plans here no, not us....

Kieran
13-02-2006, 11:30 PM

So did we! someone's been slipping caffiene into the water at the Mansfield GPO....

The Vee
13-02-2006, 11:47 PM

yup, me too. The Island invasion is pre grouping!!

Spirit
14-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Yep our tickets arrived yesterday too :2thumbsup

g8legnum
14-02-2006, 02:09 PM
G8 - there's that, or there must be a campsite somewhere nearby?:inquisiti

Mind you, must admit that I wouldn't ever kennel a dog myself if I could avoid it.
Unfortunately, our mutts (now 15 and 9) have never been kenneled and enjoy our time away in the camper. So they either come with us or we don't go. Without being a real party pooper, if we were the only ones camping and everyone else is hotel based, we'd be a bit left out. So maybe next time.......

ANTHONY
16-02-2006, 07:55 PM
right so the hotels booked and the ferry tickets arrived today............:2thumbsup.... just need to sort out me passports and a list for the duty free shop

kato
16-02-2006, 09:11 PM
sorry peeps the boss tells me shes already away that weekend.

Kieran
17-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Shame you can't make it Kato - Maybe next time, eh?

Anyone else? There's still time if you're quick!:happy:

ANTHONY
17-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Shame you can't make it Kato - Maybe next time, eh?

Anyone else? There's still time if you're quick!:happy:
Anyone else? There's still time if you're quick.......... a few more would be nice.........so come on down:pimp2:

Spirit
17-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Fatgeek and I are meeting tomorrow night to go over our plans

.........and, we're all waiting /pan :zzz: :pimp2: :2thumbsup

Paul Beazer
19-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Erm, sorry, er yes, southern meet 6. Erm, computer has been out of action for most of last week due to a VPN client i installed on it for work and it basically fcuked up my computer completely! Todays, well this evening is the first time i havent had any errors crop up. /Grrr
Bear with me and i'll post the info in the next day or so.....

Kieran
20-02-2006, 12:35 AM
:zzz: :sleeping:

Spirit
21-02-2006, 10:51 PM
i'll post the info in the next day or so.....

.........any updates ??.........hope the food on the island is served quicker :happy: /help :2thumbsup

ANTHONY
21-02-2006, 11:05 PM
ahh..... the IOW life ......so relaxed :zzz:

The Vee
22-02-2006, 12:57 AM
ahh..... the IOW life ......so relaxed :zzz:

Laid back.................................nah.......... ........horizontal/pan

Kieran
22-02-2006, 09:54 AM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Paul Beazer
22-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Cut it out you lot! Im busy!

Rough plan:-

Friday night = beers round newport about 8ish

Sat = Meet at hotel for 11am. Drive out to Alum bay,
Alum bay / Needles (most westerly point on island) for an hour or 2
More driving, along the "military road" main coastal route with some fantastic views in the rear view mirror along SW coast. Lunch somewhere in the area.
Back to newport for 4ish to allow for some peeps to have some family time.

Sat night = Beers and food around newport about 8ish?

Sunday = More scenic driving around the island meet up in newport for 10.30??
Should give you time to get back to East Cowes for the 15:30 ferry?

NB I cant confirm the Go-Karting at this point as they have temp been barred from operating due to noise complaints by the locals. This is hoped to be up and running in march, but until i know i wont book anything yet.
Just wondering, how many of you fancy a CVR4 derby so i have an idea of numbers. Assuming its running!

Please note the above plans are flexible and if anyone has any suggestions or comments please say. This is a meet for everyone!

Paul

ANTHONY
22-02-2006, 11:06 PM
sounds good to me:evilgrin: :evilgrin:

HJM
22-02-2006, 11:09 PM
All looks good to me - well done Paul :thumbsup:

I am sure H would be up for Karting if it's running /Steeringw

Cheers,

Kieran
22-02-2006, 11:18 PM
All sounds good to me too! Hope the Karting is up and running but no problem if not - we'll have a Club VR-4 'Bonfire Party' and burn those miseries that complained!! /Devil5

ANTHONY
22-02-2006, 11:20 PM
we'll have a Club VR-4 'Bonfire Party' and burn those miseries that complained!! /Devil5
you was there as well k /pan /pan

Kieran
22-02-2006, 11:24 PM
you was there as well k /pan /pan

About the noise from the Karting, not the moaning on here! that was all justified!

Spirit
22-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Sounds good to me, I'm sure I can force a bit of karting in :2thumbsup

ANTHONY
22-02-2006, 11:35 PM
About the noise from the Karting, not the moaning on here! that was all justified!
opps/pan

The Vee
23-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Yep nice one - looking forward to it

Paul Beazer
25-02-2006, 11:46 PM
All sounds good to me too! Hope the Karting is up and running but no problem if not - we'll have a Club VR-4 'Bonfire Party' and burn those miseries that complained!! /Devil5
Does that mean you'll be washing all the french cars in the immediate area the day after then K?

ANTHONY
03-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Not long to go ..............ANY MORE TAKERS

Kieran
03-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Does that mean you'll be washing all the french cars in the immediate area the day after then K?

What do you think I'm going to build the bonfire out of!! /Devil5

Polabear
04-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Ok it looks like I will be coming in the Honda crv now as the armchair sold yesterday...:2thumbsup am I still allowed....:curtain: ..../Hmmm

Paul Beazer
04-03-2006, 01:56 PM
You're still welcome sean!

Hope you got a decent price for it mate!

Kieran
04-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Of course you are Sean! It will be good to burn.... I mean see you!! ;) /Devil5

ANTHONY
04-03-2006, 03:34 PM
as the others said... welcome

ANTHONY
06-03-2006, 10:01 PM
how far is the hotel we'r staying in from newport? and what is the pub like next door to the hotel?

Paul Beazer
06-03-2006, 10:40 PM
5 mins walk to the centre of newport, 20 mins walk back after beeeeer!:5shots:

Pub next door pretty average brewers fare (avoid!), lots of good choices in the town.

ANTHONY
06-03-2006, 11:04 PM
sounds good to me and at the time of year we'r there is it quite or busy? (so many questions) but it keeps the thread going and maybe a few more may get interested.............. cheers paul

Paul Beazer
06-03-2006, 11:18 PM
It shouldnt be too busy, the tourist season doesnt kick off until after easter. Its not that big a town, but plenty of pubs for all tastes.

SGHOM
11-03-2006, 12:38 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4794650.stm

Spirit
11-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks for that mate /pan

Polabear
11-03-2006, 11:07 AM

Nothing unusual there then Derek...Eedjits../pan /pan

ANTHONY
11-03-2006, 12:44 PM
so you dont fancy a trip across then............... come on you know you want to

SGHOM
11-03-2006, 12:47 PM
so you dont fancy a trip across then............... come on you know you want to

I'm saving my pennies for RT3..4...5....6 :2thumbsup :party3:

FatGeek
12-03-2006, 06:13 PM

"Oi droives moi ferry back and forth all day lang, evury day of the year, but sometimes Oi forgets where Soufampton be and runs roight inter it! Oh dear."

Hi all - sorry to be absent so long; snowed under with work (doing 17 things at once, all of which are annoying). Thanks for keeping the island end up, Paul, so to speak... Hope everyone's island questions have been answered.

The old military road Paul mentioned runs from Alum Bay/Totland to Ventnor, and is about as straight as it looks (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=Alum+Bay+New+Road,+Totland,+Isle+of+Wight,+P O39&daddr=high+street,+ventnor,+isle+of+wight), with no lights, roundabouts or cameras - but keep your eyes peeled for the "bear in the air" (heard rumours, but never seen one myself).

Paul and I thought we could stop for lunch at the Spyglass Inn (http://www.thespyglass.com/) in Ventnor, if the time's right, which is right on the waterfront (parking above and behind, if no space on the esplanade).

Looking forward to seeing you all in less than three weeks now! Passports at the ready!! :p

ANTHONY
12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
just done a satalite view of the road now that is staight also the pub looks good

ANTHONY
12-03-2006, 07:40 PM
also i'm bringing my sons one is 16 and the other is 12 any others on the trip

Paul Beazer
12-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Ant, i think Petes bringing his nipper, Im not sure how old tho!

Less than 2 weeks to go!

Spirit
12-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Ant, i think Petes bringing his nipper, Im not sure how old tho!

Less than 2 weeks to go!

Yes, he is 10.

And Paul, it's 3 weekends time mate /pan

Paul Beazer
12-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Well done Pete. I was just checking to make sure you were watching this thread. Well done, ahem!

Only 3 weeks to go, OOps!

Kieran
13-03-2006, 12:33 AM
First non-mini meet of the year! Woohoo!

ANTHONY
13-03-2006, 08:57 PM
this will give the locals something to talk about

FatGeek
14-03-2006, 09:53 AM
also i'm bringing my sons one is 16 and the other is 12 any others on the trip

My son Sean is 20, and he'll be along with us filming highlights for a college project (he's studying Video Production).

Spirit
14-03-2006, 06:01 PM
My son Sean is 20, and he'll be along with us filming highlights for a college project (he's studying Video Production).

Cool, maybe we can re-create some Top Gear type action ? e.g. he is in a lead car followed by two cars side by side, then we split and overtake etc etc :evilgrin: :happy: :2thumbsup

Paul Beazer
14-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Pete, we havent got road wide enough for that sort of shenannigans!/pan

HJM
14-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Pete, we havent got road wide enough for that sort of shenannigans!/pan

Roads? You mean you have roads?

Kieran
15-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Cool, maybe we can re-create some Top Gear type action ? e.g. he is in a lead car followed by two cars side by side, then we split and overtake etc etc :evilgrin: :happy: :2thumbsup

Mmmm.... Not sure I fancy being in such a video myself - Not really into that....

Spirit
15-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Mmmm.... Not sure I fancy being in such a video myself - Not really into that....

Err....was joking guys /pan

Polabear
15-03-2006, 10:34 AM
My son Sean is 20

Ah.. I see you and your wife have good taste in childrens names...a grand name that, and spelled correctly too.....:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

HJM
16-03-2006, 01:56 PM
I have just had a call from Red Funnel saying that due to the events last week, they are amending our return trip from 2pm to 2.55pm, which is wierd, as I thought we were booked to come back at 3.30 anyway?

They will be sending revised tickets out apparently - anyone else heard from them?

ANTHONY
16-03-2006, 02:56 PM
yes me ,, i had a call to say that the sat morning boat which i'm on, is now 0810am not 0800 am and return is 1555pm not 1530 pm

Polabear
16-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Yup, same call for me also Jane..and Pete i believe also.....:2thumbsup

Kieran
16-03-2006, 04:19 PM
They ain't called me!:speechles

ANTHONY
16-03-2006, 04:23 PM
They ain't called me!:speechles
ahh you poor thing /pan they will

Spirit
16-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Yes we had the call, a/phone message left, saying they have moved us from 2.30pm to 2.55pm.......and we were booked on the 3.30pm ! Useless !

Paul Beazer
16-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Be grateful you only have to travel here and back once, me and Philip do it every day!
The ferry timings have changed as, surprise surprise they are a boat short now!

Anyone has any worries let me know and i'll try and help.

The Vee
17-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Yes we had the call, a/phone message left, saying they have moved us from 2.30pm to 2.55pm.......and we were booked on the 3.30pm ! Useless !

Ditto likewise!!!

And, Paul, from the other thread, yes, hopefully (99.5% sure) the scud is coming to play. Maiden voyage and all that/help

HJM
17-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Ditto likewise!!!

And, Paul, from the other thread, yes, hopefully (99.5% sure) the scud is coming to play. Maiden voyage and all that/help

WooHoo - fantastic Andy, can't wait to see and hear the Scud in all it's glory /Poms

Spirit
17-03-2006, 09:13 AM
WooHoo - fantastic Andy, can't wait to see and hear the Scud in all it's glory /Poms

What she said :2thumbsup

Polabear
17-03-2006, 11:40 AM
ROCK and ROLLAndy...:guitarist :drummer: /Poms /Poms

HJM
17-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Good job there's a military road for the Scud to be launched down :2thumbsup

(Shame RT3 will be the last visit for CVR4 as know doubt the Scud will get us banned from Germany /pan - may the 'forced induction' be with you Mr Vee !!!)

H

Paul Beazer
18-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Andy, make sure you have a spare set of tyres in the boot!/pan

ANTHONY
19-03-2006, 07:56 PM
With regards to the return ferry it looks like we'r all booked on the 14.55 pm boat instead of the 15.30 boat, which means we have to be there at 14.25. which dont give up much of a day sunday. i'v just spoke to red funnal and they have put me on the 16.15 which aint a problem to do. so if you want to give them a call they can change your return times. if not i'll change mine back so we all come home together.

Spirit
19-03-2006, 08:56 PM
TBH I think I may stay as I am as we have a 150 mile drive. Don't want to be home too late as little man has school the next day

Paul Beazer
20-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Ant, STOP CHANGING YOUR AVATAR!!

Paul Beazer
20-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh, only 10 days to go! Woo Hoo!

ANTHONY
20-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Ant, STOP CHANGING YOUR AVATAR!!
paul i'v been trying different ones but i'll stick with this one now ......yes not long NOW ..........woooooooooohoooooooo

ANTHONY
20-03-2006, 09:58 PM
We need a few beers on the satuday nite:beerchug: and maybe even a cake ....coz 3 days after its /HappyBD CVR-4/HappyBD

Kieran
20-03-2006, 10:27 PM
We need a few beers on the satuday nite:beerchug: and maybe even a cake ....coz 3 days after its /HappyBD CVR-4/HappyBD

Oh, well spotted Tony! Now that sounds like a plan!

Paul Beazer
20-03-2006, 11:35 PM
I feel a headache brewing already!

Kieran
20-03-2006, 11:44 PM
I feel a headache brewing already!:beerbang: :beerbang:

ANTHONY
22-03-2006, 10:47 PM
taken from the 1st page.............
Initially we are aiming for maybe the first weekend in April 2006. Hopefully the weather will be kinder then...................when is it gonna warm up

Spirit
22-03-2006, 10:56 PM
taken from the 1st page.............
Initially we are aiming for maybe the first weekend in April 2006. Hopefully the weather will be kinder then...................when is it gonna warm up

TBH mate I'm more worried about the ferry crossing......damn hard to avoid those big walls you know!
/help

Paul Beazer
22-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Not wanting to worry you lot or anything, but one of the catamarans i get to work caught fire this evening......

ANTHONY
22-03-2006, 11:48 PM
errrrrrrrr:rolleyes3 any good news

Spirit
23-03-2006, 08:52 AM
errrrrrrrr:rolleyes3 any good news

No not really, even the odd bomb to avoid /haz

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4786276.stm

HJM
23-03-2006, 08:54 AM
No not really, even the odd bomb to avoid /haz

PMSL - this is looking dodgier than 4 days at the Ring /help

The Vee
23-03-2006, 09:04 AM
It's all defense tactics. The invasion goes on !!

Spirit
23-03-2006, 05:20 PM
It's all defense tactics. The invasion goes on !!

Well said that man, we will conquer !:2thumbsup

ANTHONY
23-03-2006, 06:39 PM
to be sung in an 80s theme...............''anit no stopping us now''

Spirit
23-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Nah, too girly mate.......how about "We will, we will ROCK YOU" :evilgrin:

Paul Beazer
24-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Bombs????!!

FatGeek
25-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Well, the local fuzz had sniffer dogs on the RedJet boats (Red Funnel's high-speed cat btwn Cowes & So'ton) that I commute on, the other day...

*Apparently* they were looking for weed (*supposedly* a lot is grown in our lovely climate here ;) ), but who knows, maybe a bomb or two too?

Oh yes, we islanders are compelete anarchistic rebels, don't you know :D

FatGeek
25-03-2006, 01:00 AM
And yes, Paul, you'll be glad to know I broke down and washed Mr. Bishi the other day; better put your shades on next time you roll by...

Paul Beazer
25-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Ha! I've got this week off and there is some engine bay blinging up going on....

Well, de-rusting and painting some bits and bobs. Picked a lovely day today to do this, started p!ssing down as soon as i started!

ANTHONY
25-03-2006, 09:20 PM
did my one today then it started raining...also got a set of yokos for the rear so now i'm sitting on four new yokos all round

Kieran
25-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Been so busy with this house, I haven't had *any* time to sort the car!! /help :end: /Hissy

Paul Beazer
26-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Ha! My car is now back together with less rusty bits now!

K by the time you've driven from the mainland to the island your car will be FILTHY anyway, so why bother? /pan

Kieran
26-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Ha! My car is now back together with less rusty bits now!

K by the time you've driven from the mainland to the island your car will be FILTHY anyway, so why bother? /pan

I think, after today's farce of a day, we may be coming down in the Golf!:speechles /help

ANTHONY
26-03-2006, 05:58 PM
oh no! whats happened kieran?

Kieran
26-03-2006, 06:59 PM
oh no! whats happened kieran?

Ah, nothing major Tony, but nonetheless..../grr

So, I gets up this morn...... errr, afternoon, and it's sunning and everything. So I think to myself "Hmmm! I'll fit that MMCS loom that Mo gave me to the car!"

I go out, basically gut the interior of the car (carpets, seats, trim panels, the lot!) and start unscrewing the main wiring loom that runs to the rear of the car, unlugging and making a note of all the connectors as I go. All good!

So, I carry on untill I'm left with basically a super-stripped car.

Then I notice that there's water in the spare wheel well, and under the boot carpet.... In fact, Ariadne has a decidedly damp bum!:speechles :inquisiti

And then, just as I'm scratching my head, the fecking heavens just open - and I mean OPEN!!/help

And of course, because Goldie and Pap-Pap are hogging the garage, all of ariadne's trim is in the open air! Cue mad frantic dash to get everything undercover.

And the rain keeps on coming. And coming. I've basically had to abandon the car for the day. It's still working fine, it's nothing serious at all. it's just there's no trim in the car at all, and there's a leak in the boot somewhere?!:inquisiti

Fecking first day since Christmas more or less that I get to play with the car and Sod's Law and the BBC Weather Department well and truly scupper it!/Grrr

And I'm working late all this week - so no time to sort it in the evenings!/Grrr /Grrr

ANTHONY
26-03-2006, 07:08 PM
thats a shame mate..

Kieran
26-03-2006, 07:16 PM
thats a shame mate..

I'll have to see if I can get time to re-assemble everything - mind you, no worries if not. We'll just come down in the Soot-Monster and give you all something to point and laugh at! ;)/pan

Spirit
26-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Put the seats in the front and chuck the rest in the back mate and bring it with you.....it will give us something to do on the ferry :2thumbsup

ANTHONY
26-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Put the seats in the front and chuck the rest in the back mate and bring it with you.....it will give us something to do on the ferry :2thumbsup
PMSL:laugh: :laugh:

Kieran
27-03-2006, 12:16 AM

/haz

Heh.... Took the car out for a spin, to see what it was like.... Feck it's noisy!!

.....But the exhaust sounds cool! It reminded me of when it soundproofed Hordak and had no rear seats or boot trim for a while! rally-tastic!! /help :afro: :iloveyou:

Spirit
27-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Five days to go........can't wait, this is when the 2006 fun really starts......SM6, RT3, Japfest, SM7 etc etc.......:happy: :2thumbsup

FatGeek
27-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi All,

I've alerted the Spyglass Inn in Ventnor to our impending invasion and they said they'll put us in the Boathouse (separate room beside/behind the main pub), probably so we don't scare the locals. I told them we'll be there around 2pm, which should give us time for a nice run out to Needles and back along Military Road.

Also, we often go to the Ocean Deck in Sandown for a Sunday carvery roast (*excellent* quality, all home-made, for &#163;6.95), and you're all invited! I realise many of you have exit plans early on Sunday afternoon, but if you want to have a light brekkie we can show up at the Ocean Deck as early as 12 noon.

If you come there's a bonus 20-30 min hack back to East Cowes, over the lovely (freshly-resurfaced!) Downs road. Let me know here or via philip@techio.net who's interested, & headcount, so I can book a table(s) - they sometimes get a bit crowded.

Cheers!

P.S. Yes, actually, all I do think about is food. Well, that's the second thing I think about, anyway! /Devil5

The Vee
27-03-2006, 09:35 AM
P.S. Yes, actually, all I do think about is food. Well, that's the second thing I think about, anyway! /Devil5

So it's VR4 first then !!/pan

The Sunday breaky thing sounds good 2 places please

Paul Beazer
27-03-2006, 10:47 AM
You may recall i mentioned go karting at some point. Was having a chat withone and they tell me its still closed, sorry chaps. Still more road time!

4 days and counting!

Polabear
27-03-2006, 10:58 AM
And another two for brekie Phil please..Ta Muchly...:2thumbsup

HJM
27-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I realise many of you have exit plans early on Sunday afternoon, but if you want to have a light brekkie we can show up at the Ocean Deck as early as 12 noon.

Am I reading this differently to everyone else? I read this as having a light breakfast at the hotel and an early lunch at Ocean Deck :inquisiti

Whichever it is - two please :2thumbsup

Cheers,

Spirit
27-03-2006, 04:07 PM
I read it the same as you Jane :happy:

Put us down for 3 for the Sunday lunch at 12 o'clock........then enough time for another drive after, before heading for the ferry o'death /help

ANTHONY
27-03-2006, 04:48 PM
yes me as well for my wife and i plus 2 sons for the above

Kieran
27-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Add myself and Alex to that list too.:2thumbsup

The Vee
27-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Am I reading this differently to everyone else? I read this as having a light breakfast at the hotel and an early lunch at Ocean Deck :inquisiti

Whichever it is - two please :2thumbsup

Cheers,

did read it the same way as you and Pete, but just didn't quite get the right words!!!!!!!!/pan /pan It's an age thing, senior moment. You understand don't you Pete?

/I'm now hiding/help

ANTHONY
27-03-2006, 08:35 PM
i'll probley be with you lot about 10ish sat morning. we'r on the 0810 boat... depending on customs

Polabear
27-03-2006, 09:44 PM
did read it the same way as you and Pete, but just didn't quite get the right words!!!!!!!!/pan /pan It's an age thing, senior moment. You understand don't you Pete?

/I'm now hiding/help

I totally understand Andy...I think I got it wrong as well.. did Phil mean have a light brekkie A La Hotel , then an early roast at 12 or am I still being a greyer shade of blonde...../Hmmm

ANTHONY
27-03-2006, 10:36 PM
i think that is the plan

The Vee
27-03-2006, 11:29 PM
I totally understand Andy...I think I got it wrong as well.. did Phil mean have a light brekkie A La Hotel , then an early roast at 12 or am I still being a greyer shade of blonde...../Hmmm

no, the blonde is diminishing. There's hope for us yet - well, maybe/pan

HJM
28-03-2006, 07:56 AM
We are really sorry everyone, especially at such short notice, but we are going to have to pull out of this trip :(

We have a minor family crisis to deal with and it has to be this weekend I'm afraid /pan

Really sorry to let you all down and hope you have a fantastic time - can't tell you how p****d off we are /Grrr

The HJM's

/off to cancel the ferry - refund? What d'you reckon /help

The Vee
28-03-2006, 08:22 AM
That's a pity, hope you get it solved quickly. Good luck.

HJM
28-03-2006, 08:32 AM
That's a pity, hope you get it solved quickly. Good luck.

Thanks Andy - it'll be sorted, but it just had to be this weekend, didn't it!!

J

ANTHONY
28-03-2006, 08:46 AM
sorry to here this...but hope all is well

Spirit
28-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Thats such bad luck guys, but understand that some things are more important - hope you manage to sort it all out whatever it is.

Polabear
28-03-2006, 10:19 AM
What a bummer, was looking forward to seeing you both again, hope it all gets sorted swiftly....:2thumbsup

HJM
28-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks Guys :iloveyou:

Have a large white wine for me won't you :5shots:

HJM
28-03-2006, 01:19 PM
What she said .... sorry we can't go - look forward to seeing most of you at RT3 :iloveyou:

Have a big hangover for me on Saturday and Sunday mornings

H (or is it J again :inquisiti )

Paul Beazer
28-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Sorry to hear you HJMs wont be going! Hope you get the family stuff sorted ok.

Will raise a glass to you both on friday night!

BTW What is the plan for diner on sat night? Are we just gonna do our own thing or head out on the town en masse?

Car wash in the next couple of days...... K is your car gonna be filthy or will it be the stripped out, track ready VR4?? /pan

3 days....

Kieran
28-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Car wash in the next couple of days...... K is your car gonna be filthy or will it be the stripped out, track ready VR4?? /pan

I think we'll be coming down in Skarloey! Been working late all week so far, and there's not likely to be a change before Thursday! /grr

Paul Beazer
28-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I dunno, this club seems to allow all sorts of deviants to go to club meets, but a DIESEL???!!!!/pan

Kieran
28-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I dunno, this club seems to allow all sorts of deviants to go to club meets, but a DIESEL???!!!!/pan

Maybe you should consider one whilst you learn how to park without the assistance of immovable objects!/pan /STP/Handbag

Paul Beazer
29-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Touche!

I dont have trouble parking, even if it is in the back of someone!:thinking:

The Vee
29-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Gotta be honest, struggling timewise with the scud, so maybe another german jobbie to join the clan...........................................

Kieran
29-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Guys....

I feel real bad about this, but I may have to pull the plug on us coming down this weekend.:undecided :sick:

I've just had a call at work from Alex - for those that don't know, she's near the end of her probation officer degree course and she's just doing her final essays. Two are due in at the end of this week (Saturday) and the final big, big one is due in May - close call but it was looking okay. However it's looking like she'll need the extra time to finish the essay - and if that's the case it takes priority. It would be grossly unfair to risk 2 years of work for the sake of a weekend away, as I'm sure you can appreciate. I just hope she just wants the extra time as a precaution, rather than it being a major problem.

I'll find out more tonight, but I'm not hopeful.

Oh well, at least I'll be able to put the Legnum back together.... /Hissy :embarasse :embarasse

I hope her due date for the May essay doesn't clash with Japfest....:inquisiti :undecided

Polabear
29-03-2006, 12:56 PM

OI!!!!!!!!!behave.../pan /Grrr :evilgrin:

Polabear
29-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Guys....

I feel real bad about this, but I may have to pull the plug on us coming down this weekend.:undecided :sick:

I've just had a call at work from Alex - for those that don't know, she's near the end of her probation officer degree course and she's just doing her final essays. Two are due in at the end of this week (Saturday) and the final big, big one is due in May - close call but it was looking okay. However it's looking like she'll need the extra time to finish the essay - and if that's the case it takes priority. It would be grossly unfair to risk 2 years of work for the sake of a weekend away, as I'm sure you can appreciate. I just hope she just wants the extra time as a precaution, rather than it being a major problem.

I'll find out more tonight, but I'm not hopeful.

Oh well, at least I'll be able to put the Legnum back together.... /Hissy :embarasse :embarasse

I hope her due date for the May essay doesn't clash with Japfest....:inquisiti :undecided

What a bummer Kieran, but of course career always should come first before club.. after all it is Alex's and your future your'e talking about... hope you can both make it all the same...:2thumbsup

FatGeek
29-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Regarding the Sunday Roast - we're booking 20-25 (if they let us!) for 12:00 on the dot, so those of you who are on early-ish ferries should be OK. This is why I recommended a light brekkie in the morning... seems like Jane was the about only one who actually picked up on that! /pan

See you all Friday evening / Saturday morning. Paul, should we suggest a rendezvous in the hotel car park around 10:30-11ish, or have you already made a plan? (sry if I haven't read ALL 16 PAGES of this post!!)

Cheers,
Philip

P.S. HJMs, Kieran - Sorry to hear you're not coming - we'll just have to try to have a little fun without you :( . All the best with sorting out your issues...

Paul Beazer
29-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Sean, i was only kidding!

K shame you wont make it, plenty more ops, Alex's work must come first!

Was planning to meet the friday evening arrivals off the ferry at east Cowes, arrives just before 8? (You're all still on the 7pm sailing, yes?)

Dont forget we dont have Optimax or similar over here (There is 1 garage but its SUCH a rip off!) so make sure you fill up in southampton!

See you all friday / sat.

Paul

ANTHONY
29-03-2006, 08:14 PM
we'r still coming:2thumbsup ......can somebody pm me there mobile number as i only had jane's. just incase i need to call anybody on saturday morning .....
cheers...tony

ANTHONY
29-03-2006, 08:32 PM
(There is 1 garage but its SUCH a rip off!

Paul

are you joking paul..............

Spirit
29-03-2006, 09:13 PM
can somebody pm me there mobile number

You have PM :2thumbsup

Kieran
29-03-2006, 09:33 PM
:(/Grrr

Yeah, we've just talked about it and it's really not feasable. Sorry guys. :bigcry: :bigcry: :thumbsdow /Hissy

There will be other times. /yes

The Vee
30-03-2006, 12:10 AM
That's a shame, but understand your reasons

Kieran
30-03-2006, 12:35 AM
That's a shame, but understand your reasons

Thanks guys - I appreciate your understanding - still feel really bad about it, because it gets on my nerves when people pull out just before the event, especially when a lot of people go to some trouble to make it happen.

I think Alex will be glad that I'll be around to keep her from going barmy with her essays, so that's good - and that is priority 1 at the end of it all.

Paul Beazer
30-03-2006, 10:34 AM
are you joking paul..............

No joke, stock up on decent petrol BEFOREyou get on the ferry!

If anyone finds they are lost between the ferry and hotel, my mobile is
07753 897211,

Paul

Spirit
30-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Sorry you can't make it Kieran, but as already said, there are more important things in life and this is one of those occassions.

Plus, it saved you the embaressment of bringing a dirty VR4 /haz

Spirit
30-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Latest weather update........let's hope it improves a little /Grrr

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0339

Spirit
31-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Just PM'd my mobile number to Paul and Phil.......the rest of you have it.

HJM
31-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Have a great weekend guys - on top of our little issue, H has 'man flu' and we have had a 16 hour power cut here today /Grrr

Be good and don't do anything I wouldn't do :party3:

Spirit
31-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Sounds like a pretty sh*t weekend all round for you both Jane /Grrr

We'll raise a glass to absent friends tonight............assuming the ferry doesn't get us, or the weather, or the unexploded bombs etc /help

The Vee
31-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Still right up to the wire, just going out now to see if I can get it ready. Also done me back in........../Grrr
H&J hope your weekend starts to improve soon

FatGeek
31-03-2006, 09:22 AM
No joke, stock up on decent petrol BEFOREyou get on the ferry!

The man doesn't lie! There's a Texaco 2 miles up the road from the hotel, if anyone gets desparate, which sells super unleaded for 101.5 per litre (i think that's what i paid last night - too painful to look!).

Since they're the only one selling super on the island, they tend to run out each weekend before their truck arrives, so I checked with them last night and they had 4,500 litres left - about 100 fill-ups, so they'll prolly be out by Sunday.

Cheers,
Philip

FatGeek
31-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I was over at the island's Carnoisseur (http://www.carnoisseur.com/shops/!-!/Sections/Our+Shops/Isle+of+Wight/!+!/CLASS/Page/DBID/d6010d8b2ebddeeb97c5599b6ecf47f3) shop yesterday and got talking to the owner. He was very interested that the club's meeting on the island this weekend and said he might stop over at the Spyglass on Saturday afternoon to see us there.

He's had a rolling road installed (last summer) and said if we'd given him more notice he could have let us come and play on it. However, I'm sure if enough of us call him he may open up tomorrow for us anyway - give him a try if you're interested: (01983) 403111.

Cheers,
Philip

FatGeek
31-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh, and I'll give you my mobile too, in case anyone gets lost! (07725) 704132

Kieran
31-03-2006, 11:48 AM
/Hissy

Spirit
31-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Is it a four wheel drive rolling road Philip, and can he work out autos ?

We are leaving home in approx 15mins. Got to drop the dog off at the brother-in-laws, then meet Pola at Exeter and then head off to the ferry o'death !

If we're not back Sunday evening then someone please send out a search party !

Paul Beazer
31-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Weather is sunny spells with showers at the mo, quite warm tho! But windy!

Im sure Heath has some sort of meet alergy, at SM5 he went to bed early with a cold! Hope you're feeling better soon mate (ignore the man flu comments, she's just jealous she cant take a sickie!)

Andy hows progress on the scud??

See y'all tonight / tomorrow! And safe journey:2thumbsup

FatGeek
31-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Is it a four wheel drive rolling road Philip, and can he work out autos ?

Now you're getting technical on me! I saw 4 rollers embedded in the floor, and I've no idea re: autos - maybe I'll give him a call l8r today to find out for you...

ANTHONY
31-03-2006, 09:16 PM
i spoke to pete about an hour ago they are still waiting to get on the ferry

WildCards
31-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Have a good time everyone! Bring back plenty of pix and some good stories.

Steve

g6acb
31-03-2006, 09:27 PM
ABE//sport

oh dear..... take it Island Invasion 9573 not going to plan then?

Kieran
31-03-2006, 10:12 PM

Oooh 'eck! Doesn't sound good!/help

SGHOM
01-04-2006, 12:07 AM
latest text from Pete.............." ferry still delayed, so decided to swim across " /help :5shots:

ANTHONY
01-04-2006, 05:14 AM
just leaving for the island :happy:

Paul Beazer
01-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Quick update,

Pete, Pola etc arrived on the island approx 9pm last night, the Vee an hour later COMPLETE WITH THE SCUD!!!!
It was p!ssing down last night!

Abesport arrived this morning and found the lodge ok.

Had glorious sunshine all day, some good touristy bits n bobs done. Nothing major to report, but the pre-lunch drive was fast!!

Meeting up with them in a bit for a drinkie in Newport (now i've completely disassembled my bloody washing machine, long story!)

Small cruise tomorrow and they're all heading off early afternoon.

Pictures will follow at some point.

Paul

FatGeek
02-04-2006, 09:32 AM
:sunny: Beautiful sunny day yesterday, blue sky all day with not a cloud in sight (although a bit windy). Fantastic drive around the island, enjoyed by all, I reckon.

Not much traffic, particularly on Military Road, and rumour has it one car was "scudding" along at 120+ on some sections, but I don't believe it ;) :evil3: /Devil5

Visibility along Military Road was about 1+ miles, with only about 4 other vehicles over a 5-mile stretch... Lovely!

Paul Beazer
02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Sunday done and dusted. Quick blast followed by lunch and ice creams. The crew were escorted back to the ferry by yours truely and should be on their way accross the solent now. Well, got to seem them off the island!

Spirit
02-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Well, two days and 6 hours , 400 miles and and empty wallet and SM6 is over.......and has to be the best one yet !

Yes it had it's moments.....the ferry delay, damaging more of the undertray getting on the ferry, several scraps on the front on some of the poorer conditions roads......but none of that matters !

It was an excellent trip and brilliantly organised by our hosts......huge thanks to Paul, Philip and Shaz......:iloveyou:

Made it home safely and walked in the door at 7pm :2thumbsup

Yes the rumours are true......"scud-u-like" did make an appearance..........and boy does she purr.......but will let Mr Vee tell you more.

Just tried to start posting pics in the gallery but it doesn't seem to be working so will put one or two up here in the meantime.

More stories later, but knackered right now........once again thanks to the I-O-W crew for sorting it and thanks to everyone who attended for making it a top weekend !

Spirit
02-04-2006, 09:13 PM
A little line up

Spirit
02-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Some of the breathtaking scenery

The Vee
02-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Firsty, thanks to PB, FG and of course their other halves for organising such an enjoyable weekend. Nothing was too much trouble, even escorting from and back to the ferries. We really were treated like Royalty, and got the impression that they were very proud to show us round their home. Think we saw just about the whole Island and there is a wealth of variety in such a compact place. Well worth exploring, the countryside alone is beautiful. Island invasion 2? On the day of departure from home to SM6, I was still fixing bumper brackets, fog lights and a few other mods and left here, with a very tight time, for the ferry and the car had only been driven 5 minutes worth that lunch time before we set out on a 500 mile round trip!!! Foolhardy or confident? Dunno but I was determined to get it there. When we hit the M25, that was it, knew we'd missed the ferry. But a little liason with Spirit (who was already there, and we rebooked from the services. As mentioned we were an hour behind the others, But Paul still took it upon himself to come back and escort us. His face was a picture when he saw I was not in the Audi. (I had told Spirit we were!!) and yes it performed faultlessly:2thumbsup :2thumbsup . My thanks to Wodjno for his assistance doing up various nuts and bolts helping me to get it roadworthy for the trip (all last minute as ever). The car is a real joy to drive. But that's another story. Once again my thanks to the Island crew for the weekend and the everybody else for their company which can only be described as the best

Spirit
02-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes, here it is......evidence that the scud is alive and kicking !

The Vee
02-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Wrong thread, but slightly topicle, 212 miles and needle just slightly above the half.:iloveyou: And no it's not a forty gallon tank!!

Spirit
02-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Until the CVR4 gallery is fixed you can view my pix here: http://gallery73656.fotopic.net/c910830.html

The Vee
02-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Excellent pics - cheers Pete:2thumbsup

Paul Beazer
02-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Really pleased everyone enjoyed it. Thanks again for the praise, twas our pleasure!

Oh and Tony text me earlier to say he got back safely too.

Andy, fancy doing a scud conversion on mine? Hmmm, only half a tank with a 6A13TT, your gauge is busted mate!! /pan

SGHOM
02-04-2006, 10:35 PM
excellent pics Pete, & another great event with CVR4. :iloveyou:

we northeners need to catch up a bit !! /help

The Vee
02-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Andy, fancy doing a scud conversion on mine?

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr let me think about that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, the list of ingredients are as follows:

1. oh, you know the rest/pan /help

WildCards
02-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Great pix, nice to know everyone got there and back safely and had a good time too. Shame we missed it, but the wallet only stretches so far. Can't wait to read more about the Scud.

Pete, mmm ATR (http://gallery73656.fotopic.net/p27592262.html) in this pic?

g6acb
02-04-2006, 10:53 PM
looks like you were very lucky with the weather judging by spirits pictures, its done nowt but wang it down up here in t'north all weekend

HJM
02-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Looks like you had a great time - sorry to have missed it /Grrr

Fantastic to see evidence of the scud in all it's glory - can't wait to see it for real in Dover in a few days time :2thumbsup

Paul Beazer
02-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Friday and sat nights we had copious amounts of rain, but the days were glorious!

WildCards
02-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Reviewing Spirits pix - GOD YOU LOT ARE OLD!!!

tehe!

The Vee
02-04-2006, 11:07 PM
yep 40 summit going on 17 - OK/pan

The Vee
02-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Anyway, you younger type (/Handbag ) explain to an ole git wot ATR is (please)

WildCards
02-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Anyway, you younger type (/Handbag ) explain to an ole git wot ATR is (please)

Apologies -ATR = Accord Type-R. I had a mad hankering after one until I got a wiff of a VR-4. Still admire Honda company and cars from afar, but love Bandit to bits, specially after this weekends good polishing sesh.

(ATR come with the big spoiler on the back, hence the recognition)

The Vee
02-04-2006, 11:23 PM
LOL I thought it was going to be something like "Are These Real"/pan /pan /pan

OK you win, I accept the "old" bit:evilgrin: /help

WildCards
02-04-2006, 11:25 PM
LOL I thought it was going to be something like "Are These Real"/pan /pan /pan

OK you win, I accept the "old" bit:evilgrin: /help

Hey, i'm just shy of 25 and most people I meet think i'm at least 35!! so who wins there? I'm sure you've aged gracefully Andy :iloveyou:

ANTHONY
02-04-2006, 11:27 PM
i'm skint and knackard but what a week end we had. also some great meals thanks phil and paul... sunday roast was the best and dont forget the cheese on saturday i had to leave behind

ANTHONY
02-04-2006, 11:31 PM
we northeners need to catch up a bit !! /help

you northeners need to get down here a bit

SGHOM
02-04-2006, 11:35 PM
you northeners need to get down here a bit

We know !! the rains warmer !! /help :thinking:

ANTHONY
02-04-2006, 11:37 PM
very true del

Spirit
02-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Well we did mention another "Island Invasion" in the future with a couple of amendments:

1: In the summer :2thumbsup
2: To include a beach party :5shots:

HJM
02-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Well we did mention another "Island Invasion" in the future with a couple of amendments:

1: In the summer :2thumbsup
2: To include a beach party :5shots:

Oooh, interesting :inquisiti

Spirit
02-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Think it may have to be summer of 2007 though

Kieran
03-04-2006, 12:46 AM
Great pics - Glad you got the 'Scud' sorted Andy.

Really, really gutted we couldn't come to see you all, /Hissy but we did need the time - Not fun when your wife is busy untill nearly 2 in the morning for 5days on the trot!/help

Still, I did manage to get that MMCS working finally - some small consolation I guess!

Paul B and FatGeek - I'll get to see you guys if it kills me!:speechles When's the next Southern meet?!?!:inquisiti

Spirit
03-04-2006, 08:16 AM
When's the next Southern meet?!?!:inquisiti

Already organised K ! The South West Festival of Motoring in July - the week before JAE..........:2thumbsup

FatGeek
03-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Really pleased everyone enjoyed it. Thanks again for the praise, twas our pleasure!

Seconded! You guys were all great company, and we'd be happy to host such a crazy group of lunatics any time!

Summer 2007 it is, then, Pete! :afro:

Wouter
03-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Nice pics!!

It really is a shame that us northerners can't gt our act together.... not supprising really with Derek up here!!... and the never ending rain!

bradc
03-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Andy - Thats one evil looking V6-24 with the twin pipes and tail lights - lets hope you can keep it together around corners :) Congrats on finally getting it all done! Remember that topic we were talking about in pm's- did you get it all sorted?

Looks like there is some nice scenery out there too, nice meet guys :D

ANTHONY
03-04-2006, 01:33 PM
just a couple from me

Spirit
04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Where's all the other pics then ?

Paul Beazer
04-04-2006, 10:56 PM
:thinking: :oops: :zzz:

Spirit
05-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Where's all the other pics then ?

Mine are now in the Gallery......but look awfully lonesome......come on where are the rest ?

Email them to me if you like and I will put them in the Gallery, or just post them here.

The Vee
05-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I'll email mine tonite - havn't had any luck trying to use gallery - probably me/pan

FatGeek
05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Mine are now in the Gallery......but look awfully lonesome......come on where are the rest ?

Any chance of some video/bulletcam footage, Pete?

Spirit
05-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Any chance of some video/bulletcam footage, Pete?

It's been in the video forum since Monday mate :2thumbsup