PDA

View Full Version : HID headlights, a must!

bradc
21-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Tonight me and Uc (You See) were following each other /Steeringw /Steeringw on the motorway after a few Pizza's and :chugchug: at work, it was so obvious where he was, I could see the reflections of his headlights off other cars and roadsigns. When I was about 1km in front of him, all I could see was a ton of yellow headlights, with one pair of these super bright white/blue headlights in amongst the crowd. The car also looks more modern when you are looking at it with the headlights on. Definately a must have!

OSiRiS
21-12-2005, 11:34 AM
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7941/dsc011718ct.jpg

VR4 MAD
21-12-2005, 11:56 AM
:thumbsup: Yep, they are the sh*t alright. /yes I've got them too. :smug: :thumbsup: They really come into their own on twisty country roads. Not so good around town as I'm forever being flashed by on coming cars who think I've got my lights on high beam still!!!................ /grr :rolleyes4 /pan And I've got eyelids on my lights as well????.......... :rolleyes4 :inquisiti /Hmmm

There so good on the open road that I never need to use high beam as it makes little if any difference when I do! :scholar: :smug: :leer:

I have been wondering about upgrading my spot lights to HID units. That way I might get away with not using my main lights in and around town. /Hmmm

Or up grade my high beam lights to HID as well to match the main head lights or possiblely all of the above if time (and money allow). :thumbsup:

Do many others have these type of lights? /Hmmm and do you get on coming traffic thinking you have got your lights on full so start flashing at you to dip your lights???............. /grr

ThEbIrDmAn13
21-12-2005, 01:08 PM
they look even better in a set of these... http://www.galantforums.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10016/normal_Picture%20012.jpg

sydkhan
21-12-2005, 03:28 PM
they look even better in a set of these... http://www.galantforums.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10016/normal_Picture%20012.jpg

well i had them until recently a police guy stopped me and told me to take them out else he will take me to court as the are not ment to be used on regular road only on country side roads.and yes i used to get flash a lot was kinda fun though :leer: /Steeringw

Quail
21-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I love HIDs so much. IMO an essential mod.

ThEbIrDmAn13
21-12-2005, 07:14 PM
well i am planning on putting HIDs in every available spot in the front, so i need h3 sets for the lows, highs, and driving lights, H1 for the inside driving lights, and 893s for the fogs...so 5 sets... nice and bright

You See
22-12-2005, 06:02 AM
Do many others have these type of lights? /Hmmm and do you get on coming traffic thinking you have got your lights on full so start flashing at you to dip your lights???............. /grr
Yep, I get that all the time...one other advantage is that people tend to get outta your way when they see you coming! :thumbsup:

bradc
22-12-2005, 06:57 AM
you mean when they hear your wastegates from miles away!

Birdman, you could put some in the grill at the top as well, next to the main headlights. What are the laws like over there regarding headlights?

psbarham
22-12-2005, 11:29 AM
you mean when they hear your wastegates from miles away!

Birdman, you could put some in the grill at the top as well, next to the main headlights. What are the laws like over there regarding headlights?
what like these
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=886

Quail
22-12-2005, 07:43 PM
^ Looks like an unmarked police car!!

psbarham
22-12-2005, 07:58 PM
it does when they are turned off , the lenses have a blue tint , its caused a few people to jump on the road /Devil5 , it used to be even better if i had my fluorescent jacket on on the way home from work :thumbsup:

bradc
22-12-2005, 10:49 PM
haha, at the last NZ meet one of the guys had a Fluoro jacket (dreamer I think) on and he was able to stop traffic for us when we were turning out of a carpark on a very busy road.

You need to install some extra brake lights in the back as well ;)

johnh
23-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Hi, can some one please just rattle of some basics for me.
what does HID stand for? And when you say upgrade to them, Are all your doing is putting in new HID lamps or does it require larger cables or anything?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

OSiRiS
23-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi johnh

H.I.D. = High Intensity Discharge. As in H.I.D. headlight bulbs.

When you upgrade from a normal bulb system, wiring loom > bulb you are actually changing it to wiring loom > H.I.D. ballast > H.I.D. bulb.

Think of the ballast as an amplifier for light, as opposed to an amplifier for sound. The H.I.D. specific bulbs don't have a filiment, instead they have a gap and a chamber of Xenon gas. When the electricity jumps over the gap (arch) that is when the Xenon gas excites and thus gives you the very very bright light.

Don't be fooled with Xenon H.I.D. style factory replacement bulbs. Which are just your normal filiment bulbs.

Kieran
23-12-2005, 12:41 AM
it does when they are turned off , the lenses have a blue tint , its caused a few people to jump on the road /Devil5

And, for my next modification..... /Hmmm ;) /Devil5

pezza
23-12-2005, 02:49 AM
HIDs soon for me too I hope... fed up with the current setup. Cant see 'owt :inquisiti ...

The prices for the kits seem to vary quite a bit. Someone was offering me a 2nd hand philips set that has only been installed for a few weeks till for 250 GBP?

:rolleyes4

Mind you they are waterproof, shock resistant, have satfey cut out for heat/voltage irregularities (prevent under bonnet fires :rolleyes4) and guaranteed for 3 years or so

How are the headlamp beams adjusted on VR4s? Both My 97 and 2000 v6 24s had electronic adjustment

johnh
23-12-2005, 10:17 AM
hey thanks for that Osiris
Saved me from a pitfull straight away. Went ot repco and almost bought the "Hid replacement style."

So where do you buy these HID systems, off the net or from a repco, super cheap? What kind of price do they range from?
Easy to install?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You See
23-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Give John Lin a call - 021 734 567, he did mine and osiris's...let him know that and he'll hook you up with a mean deal. Around $300 installed for the 8k set.

OSiRiS
23-12-2005, 10:25 AM
johnh I install H.I.D. kits from $300 on 8,000k bulbs :)

OSiRiS
23-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Or you can do what UC said. Same thing :P

You See
23-12-2005, 10:27 AM
/Nuuu

pagan
23-12-2005, 11:30 PM
i usually order them from here
http://namyung.co.kr/english/index_eng.asp
costs about 200 USD per set
they are quite easy to install if you know what you are doing, otherwise may take some time
my first kit took me 5 hours!!

johnh
23-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Hey,
just been reading on the LTNZ site, these HID convertion kits are illegal. you guys have any trouble at warrent time? do you do anything specific to hide this from the inspectors? :thumbsup:

You See
23-12-2005, 11:57 PM
I don't have to go for mine till August, I could always switch back to the factory lights (if needed) :thumbsup:

OSiRiS
24-12-2005, 01:10 AM
Hey,
just been reading on the LTNZ site, these HID convertion kits are illegal. you guys have any trouble at warrent time? do you do anything specific to hide this from the inspectors? :thumbsup:

Nope. Never any problems. I just say they came standard. Big whoop lol. My installations make them look standard ;)

VR4 MAD
24-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Hey,

Yeah, I've seen that too.... Been through two WOFs so far but thats through a "friendly" workshop.

I wondered if I tried a WOF through my local Mitsi dealer, who is likely to be more strict and knowledgerable, both about the WOF rules and what's standard on the VR4 and what's not, if they would fail me on those lights. :inquisiti :rolleyes4

Also, I have changes in the wings to my VR4 that will require certifying. Now will they just restrict themselves to the bits I've modified or as someone suggested to me, give the whole car a good once over as well as looking specifically at my mods. If they give it the once over.............. well I'm probably in the sh*t I think. :embarasse :embarasse

As my car came with the HID system fitted, I didn't fit it but have been thinking of getting a second set of lights and being pepared to (temporarily) changing back for certifying and maybe WOFs. /Hmmm

Anyone been failed or even pickup during a WOF for these lights? Or anyone been stopped by a PC plod having blinded them with their HID lights. /pan :-policema /grr

That last thing really worries me as I'm not sure what to say apart from "well they were in the car when I got it and it's passed the WOF OK". :embarasse

KiwiTT
27-12-2005, 06:49 PM
It may be worth it putting them into the side spots. Will they fit there ?

bradc
27-12-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm sure you could get a bulb that would fit in there, you can get lots of differant sizes of them. Would you put them into the spotlights only?