PDA

View Full Version : Change of calipers

colVR4
22-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Is there a 'how-to' guide on how to change the brake calipers anywhere? I am planning to embark on the Brembo upgrade on Friday and I just wanted some info on what to do. I have got hold of Kieran's guide to changing the front disks and pads which will come in very useful, just need the bit about draining the system, removing, refilling, etc. /Hmmm

I will endeavour to make a full 'how-to' guide myself if there isn't one on the system. :thumbsup:

Ta

Nick Mann
22-12-2005, 02:20 PM
There is no 'how to' guide at the moment, AFAIK.

The job is straightforward. Have you got new hoses? Have you got bolts for the calipers?

colVR4
22-12-2005, 04:01 PM
No, haven't got bolts. I am assuming that I can just get them from a Mitsi garage along with the high-temp grease to put on them. Will I need different hoses as well?

Wodjno
22-12-2005, 04:10 PM
No, haven't got bolts. I am assuming that I can just get them from a Mitsi garage along with the high-temp grease to put on them. Will I need different hoses as well?
I think you Prolly need longer ones. Also not sure if the fitment is the same on the caliper ..
:inquisiti

colVR4
22-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Okay, I will need to check that out then before tomorrow. Sounds like the shopping list is getting longer

ghanda
22-12-2005, 04:34 PM
If it's just the front then your existing hoses will be OK. If you're doing the rear Brembo change then you'll need different hoses and will need to remove the splash guard.

colVR4
22-12-2005, 04:45 PM
So the fitting for the BREMBOs is the same as the standard calipers is it? I am pretty sure that the standard hoses will be long enough.

Nick Mann
22-12-2005, 06:46 PM
You should be okay with the front pipes. That helps too as the difficult job for me was persuading the flexi pipe to seperate from the fixed pipe. The flexi pipe from the caliper was easy.

I got bolts from B&Q! They are a standard thread, but I can't remember which size. Could be M20? :embarasse

colVR4
24-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Made a start on the calipers yesterday. The bolts that are needed are M12 x 25mm and are available from any good hardware store (although neither B&Q, Homebase or FOCUS stocked that size near me).

All the parts were really easy to take off and the BREMBOs went on with ease, as did the new disks. Then I ran into trouble....big trouble....the sort of trouble that can end in your wife with a bag of nails, a big hammer, a suitable wall and your gonads!!

The new wheels that I just bought don't fit over the BREMBOs....DoH!! Even though I went to Rochford tyres and asked them specifically which ones would fit, they don't. They are about 0.5 cm out, and yes that is with some spacers fitted. I put on the largest spacers I could find without having to change the wheel bolts.

So, to say that I am in the doghouse at the moment would be an understatement. I have called Rochford tyres and they have said that they will take the wheels back. I am going to buy the ENKEI wheels that are on MLR because I KNOW that they will fit.

So, a great start to the Christmas break. I hope that you all have a better time than I am likely to have. Suffice to say I am going shopping again today to buy something even more expensive for the wife.

Merry bloody Christmas everybody

BraindG
24-12-2005, 01:39 PM
ah, DOH! - so, whats the crack, cars on axlestands atm?

Nick Mann
24-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Made a start on the calipers yesterday. The bolts that are needed are M12 x 25mm and are available from any good hardware store (although neither B&Q, Homebase or FOCUS stocked that size near me).M12! D'Oh!! Couldn't remember how big they were - obviously no-where near as big as I remembered!

The new wheels that I just bought don't fit over the BREMBOs....DoH!! Even though I went to Rochford tyres and asked them specifically which ones would fit, they don't. They are about 0.5 cm out, and yes that is with some spacers fitted. I put on the largest spacers I could find without having to change the wheel bolts.That's more than a bit embarassing for them, ain't it? Surely every major alloy wheel supplier knows what will fit Evo's? Will they eventually change them for wheels that do fit or are you just going for a refund?

Merry bloody Christmas everybody :embarasse Hope it gets better mate. I'm sure your beloved will forgive you once she appreciates the added safety of increased stopping power. Vicky was gob-smacked the first time she drove my car after the Brembo's were fitted.

colVR4
24-12-2005, 03:40 PM
I had taken off the old calipers and put on the BREMBOs but had not swapped over the hoses so it was an easy job to replace old disks and calipers and put the wheels back on. So it is drivable at the moment.

Rochford have said that if I take it back they will try and find a wheel that will fit or will refund me if the wheels are undamaged. There is no way that I can get to Rochford in the next fortnight so I am going to have and try the refund route with them I think.

The problem is that the disks that I have on the car are completely shot and I am not happy driving the car with them on. If I get new ones though I am wasting money as I will bin them as soon as I get wheels that will fit. I am really hoping that I can get a set of the ENKEIs off MLR in the next couple of weeks.

colVR4
24-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Okay, call out to all members in the Bedford, Northampton, Cambridge, Peterborough (cough...Glenn) area. If you have a pair of old front disks that still have a decent bit of wear left in them and are just lying around at the moment not doing much, I could really use them right now.

Please PM as soon as possible if you have.

Ta

disciple
25-12-2005, 11:40 AM
this may or may not help but i had a good chat with the guy in the hams magwarehouse and he told me to buy nissan skyline drifting wheels. he said the skyline calipers, especially the drifters, are ****in huge, so alot of companies are making primo wheels to fit over them and that the skylines stud pattern is the same. made sense i guess, also they make some really agresive, wicked wheels for skylines.

colVR4
25-12-2005, 07:36 PM
and I think you will find that the price will match. I did look at several options that definately fitted the BREMBOs that were all over the £grand mark. Konig make quite a few that will fit but you have to have DEEP pockets

AllBeItMine
25-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Any Mag wheel designed to fit an Evo 5 and up will fit over the brembos and look good... you just need to get that slightly larger offset.

colVR4
09-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Right, update!!

I pick up my new ENKEI wheels tonight. I will then get the rubber stripped off the new alloys on my car and put on the ENKEIs tomorrow. Then tomorrow night I tackle the job of swapping over the brakes...phew!!

I know that the disks and pads are a doddle to swap, and the calipers fit on easy enough. One question though. Do I have to drain the brake fluid to change over the calipers or can I get away with quickly swapping over the brake hoses? I assume that I will then still have to bleed the system though. Any thoughts?

colVR4
09-01-2006, 02:34 PM
ooohhh ooohhh another question, are the fittings for the brake hose the same for the standard calipers and the BREMBOs?

Nick Mann
09-01-2006, 02:39 PM
I am pretty sure that the hoses are interchangeable. So if you can swap the hose from one caliper to the other quickly then you don't need to flush the whole system - just bleed the calipers. Don't forget there are two bleed nipples on the brembos!

colVR4
09-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I saw that there were two of them, one on either side. From looking at pictures on the MLR it looks like the bleed nipples point upwards on the front side of the caliper, is that the correct fitment?

SGHOM
09-01-2006, 05:34 PM
One question though. Do I have to drain the brake fluid to change over the calipers or can I get away with quickly swapping over the brake hoses?

you could always clamp the rubber hose with a pair of mole grips. that way, there's no need to rush. /yes

colVR4
09-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Genius!!! :scholar:

But won't that damage the hose? /Hmmm

SGHOM
09-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Genius!!! :scholar:

But won't that damage the hose? /Hmmm

nope.. It'll be fine. /yes

colVR4
09-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Look what I picked up today!!!

And look what I've been up to...

SGHOM
09-01-2006, 10:08 PM
mmmmm.. blembo's !! :smitten: :guitarist

ANTHONY
09-01-2006, 10:59 PM
lookin good col :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
09-01-2006, 11:04 PM
All you need to do now is remove the old one!! :rolleyes4 /pan

colVR4
10-01-2006, 01:07 AM
A piece of cake this whole BREMBO swap-over malarky. Old ones off and new ones on!! :D

caishanvr4
10-01-2006, 01:37 PM
You can do mine when i eventually get some:embarasse well done :thumbsup:
Are the disks new as well, and dont forget to post the pics with brakes behind the wheels /Banana

pezza
10-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Looking good col... any pix with the wheels on too? Bet it looks pretty good! :thumbsup:

Oh BTW if anyone is after a set of front brembo calipers from an evo 6, please drop me a PM /yes

colVR4
10-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Well....almost there. Didn't quite have time to finish the job last night so I have a few more tinkerings and bleedings to do tonight before I submit the 'how-to' and some piccies.

...and I had better wash it as well, or I will have Kieran on my back

Kalle
10-01-2006, 07:09 PM
How did it go at the back? No problems with the VR4 standard hoses to the Brembo calipers? Have heard several saying that longer hoses is necessary..!?

colVR4
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
I only fitted the BREMBO front calipers. I can't see a need for fitting the rears at the moment, and I don't think the funds will stretch that far at the moment.

colVR4
11-01-2006, 07:56 PM
The brakes are squealing like a b*****d!! I have checked on MLR and apparently this is a common problem. I am going to give them a few more miles to bed in, luckily I have got a trip up to Carlisle and back over the next couple of days so that should get them bedded in nicely.

If that doesn't work the MLR have sourced a replacement 'spring' that goes in to the caliper that gets rid of the noise.

Has anyone else who has fitted the BREMBO's come across this problem?

BraindG
11-01-2006, 08:12 PM
remember 50% application for a while.. no hard braking.. bed the stuff in!!... isnt squeeling due to lack of copper grease? or this another squeel?

SGHOM
11-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Every member who has fitted blembo's agree, they squeel like a banshee for the 1st few [ hundred ] miles ! It will go away though............... eventually. /yes /yes

Nick Mann
11-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Has anyone else who has fitted the BREMBO's come across this problem?

Oh yes! A few hundred miles of country lane driving should sort them out! Mine still squeal when braking in reverse though.

OSiRiS
11-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Nice. Looks like I'll have to get round to it ;)

colVR4
11-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Oh goody!!!

I was told that the best way to bed in brakes was to do some 50% stops from 60-20 with a run in between to let them cool and then some harder stops from 60-20. Is that not correct?

Nick Mann
11-01-2006, 08:37 PM
That sounds good to me. Gentle then harder. (!) Don't let hot pads stay in contact with a fully stopped disc - especially when bedding in.

ghanda
11-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Oh yes! A few hundred miles of country lane driving should sort them out! Mine still squeal when braking in reverse though.

Mmm...You got rear Brembos, Nick?

The springs are from Alyn at AS Performance at around £11 they're a worthwhile investment - also choice of pads is paramount. Go with DS2500's and the uprated shims/clips and you'll eradicate 90% of the problem.

Stick with EBC Greenstuff pads and you've got no hope :)

Nick Mann
11-01-2006, 10:50 PM

Yep?

Currently running Pagid Blues and have not invested in the clips.

ghanda
12-01-2006, 10:24 AM
It's just that I read on the MLR that the rears sqeal too - having never listened out for it, I've always assumed it was the front - but now I'm listening to them too!

Nick Mann
12-01-2006, 10:39 AM
I very rarely get any kind of squeal going forwards. For the odd time that I brake going backwards I'll live with it. :thumbsup:

bernmc
12-01-2006, 11:34 AM

The springs are from Alyn at AS Performance at around £11 they're a worthwhile investment - also choice of pads is paramount. Go with DS2500's and the uprated shims/clips and you'll eradicate 90% of the problem.

Stick with EBC Greenstuff pads and you've got no hope :)mmm. I've got DS2500's, and they can be heard all the way in Scotland when I brake! They do seem to have quietened a bit after about 2500 miles, but they still yell at low speed - eg in traffic!

How you run your pads & discs in is also dependent on which make you have. The DS2500's are essentially racing pads, and need a very agressive bedding-in process. There was a blurb in the box when I bought mine - something like 30 stops at pretty high power. Discs were supposed to be blue at the end of it...

colVR4
16-01-2006, 12:46 AM
I have bedded mine in now with some pretty aggressive braking (as the blurb in the box said) and the squealing has all but gone. Occasionally at low speeds it is still there but nowhere near as often as before.