PDA

View Full Version : Only one tweeter in V6?

CplJellyfish
22-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi all, did a quick search on this, but found nothing, possibly my bad search skills?

I have a 2000 (W-plate) V6-24 saloon with stock everything. Except I recently fitted a pioneer DEH-7800 MP3 face-off jobbie. Anyway, it has bothered me for years (since I got the car new) that there's only one front tweeter, nearside. I did call Mitsubishi (local dealer, Tincknells) and the nice lady there told me that there was no listing for an offside tweeter for that model and year. Can anyone confirm this?

The weird thing, is that my wifes' 2002 model (02 plate) GLS estate, has tweeters on both sides.

So my questions are:
Am I unique? Am I the only one with a single-tweeter V6? Is there really a second tweeter on the offside, but that I can't see??!
Does the wiring exist in the off-side door already to add a tweeter (there's a pair on ebay now)?
Is it going to make any difference to the sound if I get a second stock mitsi tweeter anyway? The ones on ebay are Quite Cheap, and I am not up for spending a lot of money on this 'project'!

Any/all advice much appreciated!

Big Ian
22-12-2005, 06:44 PM
i'd have though you'd need one on the opposite side, to balance out the high frequences? /Hmmm

Nick Mann
22-12-2005, 06:52 PM
All the Galants I have had (both V6's and all three VR4's!) have had tweeters on both sides, found behind the plastic cover over the wing mirror fixings.

CplJellyfish
22-12-2005, 08:19 PM
All the Galants I have had (both V6's and all three VR4's!) have had tweeters on both sides, found behind the plastic cover over the wing mirror fixings.

Yep, I have one little grille-type cover on the passenger side, and one utterly flat, featureless black plastic cover on the drivers side. I've had a look underneath that - nada! I wonder whether there's a bit of loom in the door dieing to have a little speaker attached to it, or maybe that's also missing from my car!!!??? /Hmmm

Slimshady
22-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi m8, I have a 1998 V6 with tweeters on both sides

Mine has leather trim with walnut dash if that helps – I would imagine the wiring loom is present for your car – I think the only way to tell is if you remove the door skin to get to the inside of the mirror

Paul Beazer
22-12-2005, 10:43 PM
The plastic covers can be a bit "fragile" so watch it!!

CplJellyfish
22-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi m8, I have a 1998 V6 with tweeters on both sides

Mine has leather trim with walnut dash if that helps – I would imagine the wiring loom is present for your car – I think the only way to tell is if you remove the door skin to get to the inside of the mirror

Yep, I have cream leather & walnut also. Think it's time to take the door skin off, as you suggest, and have a look. I got the car as an ex-demo from SGT in Taplow. If I'd realised it was down one tweeter I'd have gone for a better deal. :angry:

It just isn't one of the things you're going to notice on a test drive, I guess....

Bal
30-12-2005, 04:36 PM
you need two tweeters to balance the sound.

i wouldnt worry about it, just go buy a cheap one of ebay if you have a stock setup. Or i can supply you with one if i havent thrown mine away.

B