Nick VR4
15-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by BraindG
nick, you know the guy who made this?

Err nope no a clue mate :Ponder:
Got it off scobbynet

BraindG
15-09-2003, 03:57 PM
just seemed weird.. site was made by my mates mate..
and its not the easiest site to find in search engines..INSERT INTO post VALUES (unless you knew what you were looking for)

aww well, there was a chance

Nick VR4
15-09-2003, 04:01 PM
Ooooo spooky :eek:

Brind
15-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Great site!
That's one of my pet hates, one of the worst things that annoys me is those idiots in the 'outside lane' creeping along, I hate overtaking on the inside apart from it being illegal but sometimes it is necessary when you come against one of those idiots.

I tend to stick out in the center lane quite alot too but that is usually because I have about 10-20 mph on top of those on this inside lane and know I'll overtake shortly, nothing worse than going in and out of lanes especially if you all of sudden get caught in the inside and can't get out due to cars coming up faster in the middle forcing you to slow down.
I tend to be one of the fastest on the roads unless it is any area I don't know and there are speed cameras about... it can get very frustrating watching others pi$$ing past then but you know you'll get caught if you did.

pjjohnson
15-09-2003, 06:09 PM
The opening lines of the Middle Lane Moron Site:-

"It always amazes me how few people remember the bit in the Highway Code about keeping left unless overtaking*.
It's a simple rule. You pull out. You overtake. You pull back in.

But for some, this rule is forgotten, misunderstood or just ignored. Instead of pulling back in, they cruise in the middle lane, or Lane 2 in official terms. They are what is known as a road hog, but we have a new name for them: The Middle Lane Moron."

Brinds comment

" I tend to stick out in the center lane quite alot too but that is usually because I have about 10-20 mph on top of those on this inside lane and know I'll overtake shortly, nothing worse than going in and out of lanes "

Surely your not saying you are a MLM are you Brind ?

SGHOM
15-09-2003, 06:56 PM
caught up with a guy on the M18 a while back. the road was unusually quiet, & he was sat in the middle lane. when I got along side him, [ the inside ] he was doing 55 mph !! reading the paper. I made my feeling known to him !! excuse me sir, is that a good idea old chap, or something like that !!:nono: to***r. :mad:

Brind
15-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by pjjohnson

Surely your not saying you are a MLM are you Brind ?

Not really, as I'm not sitting there doing 60mph without a hope in hell of overtaking someone on the inside.
I'm rarely overtaken unless someone is wanting to go much faster than 80mph.

BraindG
15-09-2003, 07:22 PM
to late!.. you said it now Brind.. we all know.. :lolz:

SGHOM
15-09-2003, 07:24 PM
since when has it been illegal to overtake on the inside ?

Brind
15-09-2003, 07:30 PM
It's illegal in the UK to overtake on the inside unless the traffic in the outside lanes are moving slowly.. as in traffic jams.

I admit the moron bit sometimes.. but I don't sit in the middle if there is nothing around me. :D

SGHOM
15-09-2003, 07:45 PM
just the answer I expected !!:) this is a very grey area .[ rumages for police driver training manual ] most motorways are pretty congested nowadays, & traffic stops & starts etc. in those circumstances you usually remain in one lane, any lane. once the traffic starts to speed up, say to 50 or 60 mph. does that mean everyone should switch lanes to start overtaking ?? no. it's therefore fair to say that if you remain in the inside lane, yuo could be travelling at 65 mph, undertaking the other 2 lanes legally.

Brind
15-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Yeah, but if you wanted to turn off at a juntion and you were in another lane but there was a car on the inside, you must overtake and pull in front and go out rather than sneak behind and accelerate up the inside and overtake that car and then go out.
Basically for safety reasons if you think about.. if that car also wanted to go out at that junction he shouldn't have to be confronted by another car being there all of a sudden.. it makes for easier drving and a traffic rule that I do agree with.

zedy1
15-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Brind
It's illegal in the UK to overtake on the inside unless the traffic in the outside lanes are moving slowly.. as in traffic jams.

I admit the moron bit sometimes.. but I don't sit in the middle if there is nothing around me. :D

its known as undertake :D

Brind
16-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by zedy11
its known as undertake :D

Still illegal. :D

zedy1
16-09-2003, 12:07 AM
forgot to mention there are also outside lane morans too :D

jtfleming
16-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Its legal in NZ to overtake on the left. When I was in the UK I had to get used to not overtaking on the left, I cant see any reason why not...:lolice:

banjo
16-09-2003, 12:59 PM
I think the UK is the only place where it's illegal to undertake, I've driven in Europe and the US where they all undertake and it doesn't seem a problem probably because you expect it. to make the change here to that perhaps would not be easy for obvious reasons.

In America though you're expected to signal when you change lanes or any direction or the Yank old bill will pinch you, some people here though love not to signal their intentions, almost like in some cases it's beneath them, now that I consider to be far more onerous than a bit of undertaking.

Nick VR4
16-09-2003, 01:39 PM
I get really hacked off with these morons :mad:
Just drove back from Fleetwood 4 hours it took me

At one point there were more cars sitting in the Middle and outside lanes going 50mph than the inside lane with huge gaps in the inside lane
I pulled over inside lane and went past then all :D

SGHOM
16-09-2003, 05:59 PM
exactly my point !! it's not illegal to do that. but deliberatly undertaking someone, & then returning the the middle lane is ! regardless of what speed you do, up to the legal limit.

Brind
16-09-2003, 08:33 PM
The Germans have a great rule too!!! when you are on the motorway and you approach on-ramps you must slow down to help others join safely, also if you are on the inside lane and traffic wants to come on you must move over.
But since many of their on-ramps usually have a very tight bend to join and only a short runway to get to speed the rules above make it so much easier to join.

Also great is that you can turn a corner at a junction if it's clear without adhearing to traffic lights.

This country is very backward though.... they invented roandabouts THAT WORK!! they enable traffic to move freely and relatively fast.. but now! they put traffic lights on them slowing the whole thing up making roundabouts totally pointless.
Also many roundabouts down here have been dug up and junctions are made riddled with lights instead.. which create even more chaos! and congestion.

SGHOM
16-09-2003, 08:52 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's Holland that is experimenting with doing away with all warning signs at junctions !!! they tried it in a small town, & it seemed to work !! drivers can see a junction ahead, & instead of being bombarded with warnings, the natural reaction is to slow down & take more care ! not sure if would work over here though.

Brind
16-09-2003, 09:08 PM
That would never work here, we have too many morons. :D
Saying that though.. we have too many warnings and markings though if you think about it, I've been driving since I was 17 and now 24 and even I have seen the difference in road layouts.. at least down here, you can come to a junction or something and actually get confused and can't figure what you have to do.. or at least can't figure why in the hell some prat would mark a particular layout as such.. I reckon if I were a woman I wouldn't stand a chance at driving!!! as they are indecisive at the best of times! :D *hides from flying handbags* ;)
In fact I was only talking about this with a mate today! :D

We were saying about squeezing through small gaps in traffic and how we close our eyes when we go through hoping for the best! and women tend to slow down and spend ages checking the distance between their mirrors and the obsticles while giving everyone else an evil-looks-could-kill espression on their faces :D and muttering when everyone else takes the piss at how many busses could get passed her while she has a hissy fit.

SGHOM
16-09-2003, 09:21 PM
In South Africa at 4 way junctions, priority is given to the car that arrives first. !!! which for me caused great amusement, but seems to work pretty well.!! It's just trying to remember who got there first !!:D

Brind
16-09-2003, 09:25 PM
In Malta you drive on which ever side that hasn't got the biggest potholes. :D

Are you South African Derek or English?

SGHOM
16-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Yorkshire, born & bred ! but my sister lives over there. been to all the usual tourist dives !! eg; spain, greece etc. no plans on going again. I'm biased....... but SA is one hell of a place. not on everyone list of places to see before you die. but if JUdith Chalmers has a home there, thats good enough for me !!

Brind
16-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Oh right.. I've never really thought about going there to be honest, I'll have to look into that, I love holidays.

I'm off to Thailand INSERT INTO post VALUES (I've always wanted to go there) and then over to Hong Kong from Christmas Day.

SGHOM
16-09-2003, 10:04 PM
cant fault you !!! holidays are what we work for. I'd much rather spend a bit of my free time in the garden in summer, & get away for a few weeks in the winter.

Brind
16-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Same here, shame it leaves little dosh for the time you need to stay here though. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

jtfleming
16-09-2003, 11:40 PM
I thought the drivers in the UK to be quite good INSERT INTO post VALUES (except for London in traffic) Your motorway manners arn't too bad and generally courtious. Try driving in on State Highway 1 in NZ and you will know what I mean about dangerous driving!!! or any where near Auckland... :eek: :eek: :thumb2:

Brind
17-09-2003, 12:46 AM
I think we have now been classed the worlds worst for road rage...
We all hate Taxi's, Busses, Sunday Drivers and pretty much everyone else on the road in our vicinity. :D

Depends where you are though, some places driving is a pleasure whereas others driving actually becomes a huge headache.