PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the HKS Super SQV

Kieran
25-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Well, despite it being Christmas Day, I was allowed to go and play with my car for a bit - so I installed my HKS SSQV (Vent to atmosphere). It's a VR-4 specific one, and so it fitted up nicely. No dramas whatsoever. :smug: Steady idle, no stalling, and it would appear that my stock BOV wasn't performing correctly - since installation, the car is far more eager to build boost. No idea on how well it holds peak boost as I haven't had the opportunity to give it a good run yet.

There is, however one considerable problem. Allow me to describe the symptoms...........

PSSSSSSHHHHT!!! :embarasse :embarasse

Now, you may be scratching your head - after all, it is a VTA, and so I was expecting some noise. However, it is absurdly loud - even on low boost and part throttle! Man, people in Wales probably heard me tonight! /help :embarasse :embarasse At Nick and Vicky's firework party, we rode back with Nick (who has the same valve fitted) and his car is much quieter. :inquisiti

Now, I notice there's a adjuster screw on the back of the valve - anyone know what this does, and which way to turn it in order to shut the damn thing up a bit?! /help

bradc
25-12-2005, 09:33 PM
It sounds like it is functioning perfectly then, leave it alone!

Nick Mann
25-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I didn't think mine was quiet?! Are you sure it is not that the rest of your car is quiet?

Kieran
25-12-2005, 10:50 PM
It sounds like it is functioning perfectly then, leave it alone!
For sure, it's working - I know that! /pan But it's too loud! My question wasn't 'is it working', it was 'Can you turn the volume down a bit?'

I didn't think mine was quiet?! Are you sure it is not that the rest of your car is quiet?

True, it could just be that - but having been in your car, I would say it is quieter (though I do take your point that the SSQV isn't a quiet valve). I'll see what difference twiddling the adjuster makes in the morning, but if it doesn't help then I'll leave it for a week (these things sometimes take some getting used to) and if I still don't like it I will either try and source a re-circ adapter, or I shall remove and go back to standard untill I can get an uprated recirc.

I know most people like the noise but to me it's embarrasing driving around and each time you step off the throttle it sounds like a jet fighter landing! :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

Wouter
25-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I know most people like the noise but to me it's embarrasing driving around and each time you step off the throttle it sounds like a jet fighter landing! :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

Are you sure the sound is coming from the BOV and not the lower part of the seat? It may be the sprouts you had for Christmas dinner!!
:evil2:

Nick Mann
26-12-2005, 12:10 AM
A mate has one on his Evo 8 and it sounds much quiter than mine. A completely different noise, even. He reckons that you can buy different inserts to change the sound, but I have not looked into it yet.

AllBeItMine
26-12-2005, 12:18 AM
the adjustment just adjusts the spring tension. the harder it is done up, the less time it stays open.

so when done up you will be getting a higher pitched shorter sound where is loosening it off should give you a lower pitched longer sound.

the adjustment isn't meant for noise adjustment, its meant for response.

remember - its venting the pressure built up through out the entire system. if you have a big front mount, and add that to all the piping from the twins - its probably venting more 'volume' than an evo - so probably will be louder.

AllBeItMine
26-12-2005, 12:19 AM
i've adjusted mine harder btw - gives it more of a CRACK! sound like when you unplug air tools from an airline on a compressor

Nick Mann
26-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Quick google:

Inserts:
https://www.gscmotorsports.com/products/?id=2678

Recirc:
https://www.gscmotorsports.com/products/?id=2680

Kenneth
26-12-2005, 10:11 AM
how loud the BOV sounds varies with where you hear it from. mine sounds really mellow from in the car, but going past the right sort of fence with the passenger window down i can tell its bloody loud...

so, dont forget that you need to hear it outside the car in the same environment to really tell if the noise is much different

BraindG
26-12-2005, 10:22 AM
ive got the same one Kieran :smug:
Its a kiddie scarer, nothing else. :happy:

Spirit
26-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Have the gold insert in mine :thumbsup:

Kieran, go have some fun :thumbsup:

michaeli
26-12-2005, 06:39 PM
LOL!! This thread is funny!!!

Reminds me of entering a Sainsbury car park and to the left on the pavement was a women with 3 dogs...

Well it wasn't intentional but... :evil2: PPPPSSSSSHHHTTTTT!!!

I swear she crapped herself and the dogs were barking at the car as we went past!!!

.... Anyway, the SSQV is normally quite loud, so go scare some kids, dogs and drive past people in the rain and PSHT them all!!!!! :thumbsup:

michaeli
26-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Errr... I think this (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=21824) answers your questions!!!

BraindG
26-12-2005, 07:27 PM
usually, and intentionally, i wont change gear till i pass someone with their window open :leer:

Wodjno
26-12-2005, 08:54 PM
usually, and intentionally, i wont change gear till i pass someone with their window open :leer:

I particularly Love doing it to Bus Drivers with there Windows open.. :evil2: :leer: Give them back some of there own /yes Bloody Air Brakes /pan
Also great for getting Drivers back into there lanes when there chopping accross on roundys. /Steeringw :leer:
Keep it loud Kieren :evil2: Or get yourself a GFB Stealth FX so you can have it as quiet or as loud as you want.. :drummer:
The screw adjustment is as was said in that Link it's for adjusting the spring tension so it don't leak when using Higher Boost... :thumbsup: Same on the GFB Stealth.. /yes
http://www.newdimensions.com/2003/gui/04_pro/gfb_fx.html

NAUSED
28-12-2005, 07:24 AM
try playing around with the screw, ajusting it and see if its gone quieter

bada bing bada boom

gaz70
15-01-2006, 05:12 PM
i have got the ssqv but i carnt find the ajusting screw you have mentioned? Where is it?I want to play with various settings!!!!!

pezza
16-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Don't flame me but have a similar question regarding spring tensions and vacuum pressures etc..

I notice on the GFB stealth that my car will VTA only in max boost in say 1st and 2nd around max boost, but this does not always happen everytime and the discharge sound is fairly quiet... Just wondering what problems could attribute to this? Spring tension or vacuum leak? maybe? What kind of vacuum readings should you see when say coasting off the the accelerator at say 40mph.. my car shows approx -0.7 bar which is approx 25inHg?

Nick Mann
16-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Pezza - My vacuum readings seem to be a little lower than other peoples. I see around 430mmHg on idle, approx 500 under your 40 mph off the throttle (I'm assuming in 5th?) and up to 600 with serious engine braking.

gaz70 - the screw is exactly opposite the vent. You need a couple of 10mm spanners, as there is a locking nut to hold it in place too.

gaz70
16-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks Nick, but mine appears to be diferant, i dont have the screw mentioned on the back,perhaps mine is inside the metal cassing? the cassing is held with tiny screws that would need an allen key.

Kieran
16-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks Nick, but mine appears to be diferant, i dont have the screw mentioned on the back,perhaps mine is inside the metal cassing? the cassing is held with tiny screws that would need an allen key.

From what I've seen, *some* versions of the SSQV don't have the adjuster - I've seen pictures and other forum postings saying this. Not sure if/when this changed tho... :inquisiti