PDA

View Full Version : Odd whirling/grinding/rubbing noise from Clutch.

BraindG
28-12-2005, 06:54 PM
:inquisiti

My car has developed an odd noise from what i beleive to be the clutch. When reversing out of my drive, it will start making this whirling, rubbing noise. I thought it was cos i didn't tighten up the pressure plates right, so wouter came round, and we managed to check the bolts through an inspection hole. One was deffo loose, and i thought that was going to be it, loose bolts on the pressure plate, however i only found one other that was slightly loose, the rest were tight as tight can be.

So, we went for a test drive, and the clutch was making this noise in first.... when it wasnt before, only when reversing and the car was on load. i.e. reversing up my drive to get out onto the road (slightly sloped) THe only thing we did, was take the clutch thingy ma jig off to allow access to the inspection hole. This made us think that perhaps the issue was related to the hydraulic pump/lever thingy. So tonight we bled the clutch several time. Although it does feel a bitty more responsive, it still makes the grinding whirley noise..

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? or would you need to hear it? I could mp3 it or something?

psbarham
28-12-2005, 07:47 PM
without hearing / driving it , it is difficult to say what it could be , the list of possibilitys are endless , the release bearing could be a duff one or the wrong one :embarasse for a start

Kenneth
28-12-2005, 08:15 PM
maybe loosen all the bolts and then re-tighten them up in cross-wise fashion to ensure equal pressure?

You See
28-12-2005, 10:33 PM
I've got a similar problem but mine's going forward rather than reversing. As with you, I have no idea what it could be. I've been to the mitsi dealer for them to take a look and reinstall it, but it's still there. Weird thing is it doesn't happen when it's cold. hmmm...

BraindG
28-12-2005, 10:35 PM
i get it in first aswell, but thats it, anything above leaving a standstill is fine.. i can still horse if through gears, its just taking off from a standing still that you hear it..

its very odd... think im going to have to take gearbox off again :rolleyes4 /yes /help :inquisiti

BraindG
28-12-2005, 10:36 PM
its very odd... think im going to have to take gearbox off again :rolleyes4 /yes /help :inquisiti

Which means taking engine out, which makes it... what? the 5th time? /Hmmm

Kenneth
28-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Which means taking engine out, which makes it... what? the 5th time? /Hmmm

you must be getting pretty good at it! how long does it take you to get the engine out then back in?

BraindG
28-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Dunno to be honest, doesnt take me long to put all the pipes, and cables back on once its in.. wouter will voutch (sp) for that..

Ive never timed it to be honest, if i end up doing it again, ill time it..

perhaps i should add the mp3 to this thread, just for future reference... ill wait till wouter, or soemone is around to record it for me.

psbarham
28-12-2005, 11:07 PM
does it do it when your foot is on the clutch ? or does it only do it when your moving ?

Wouter
29-12-2005, 10:37 PM
does it do it when your foot is on the clutch ? or does it only do it when your moving ?

It happens when you have your foot on the clutch and the clutch is under load..... It sounds like clutch slippage but we can't figure out why.....

psbarham
29-12-2005, 10:43 PM
does it still do it when the clutch is fully released ?

Wouter
29-12-2005, 11:21 PM
does it still do it when the clutch is fully released ?

No.... at least not that I have seen, it only happens when the clutch is depressed.

psbarham
29-12-2005, 11:24 PM
thrust bearing

Wouter
30-12-2005, 09:55 AM
/Hmmm Thrust baring you say...... Still means the gearbox has to come out! Doh!!!

BraindG
30-12-2005, 12:06 PM
well, when he says depressed, its when the clutch is nearly out again, the later part of when its biting. the early stages are fine, ill get an mp3 of it, cos that might help, alot.

psbarham
30-12-2005, 12:15 PM
well, when he says depressed, its when the clutch is nearly out again, the later part of when its biting. the early stages are fine, ill get an mp3 of it, cos that might help, alot.
so when the clutch is fully depressed its fine but gets worse as you let the clutch out ?

BraindG
30-12-2005, 02:52 PM
so when the clutch is fully depressed its fine but gets worse as you let the clutch out ?
Exactly, it happens just as your about to let the clutch out fully.. once clutch is fully gripped, its fine.. just when you at that point of bitting does it do it.. the early parts are ok, just as your about to fully release the clutch.

psbarham
30-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Hmmm i could be a gearbox bearing grumbling as it loads uop , or it could just be the clutch itself , its an uprated clutch ain't it ? just think of uprated brakes and how much they squeak whine and grumble. didn't your clutch kit come with a new flywheel ??

psbarham
30-12-2005, 04:13 PM
i think i may have found the problem , in your thread about swearing at (oops i mean changing) the clutch , you had a spacer machined up to space the flywheel of of the crank , this is the problem , the flywheel is sitting closer to the gearbox now and this is causing problems with the release arm , i can't say for sure as i don't have a gear box to hand , i think if you get the back of the flywheel machined to fit the spigot on the crank the noise should go away , does this make any sense :inquisiti ????

BraindG
30-12-2005, 05:13 PM
yah, makes sense.. will be taking gearbox off soon to find out..

SGHOM
30-12-2005, 05:17 PM
yah, makes sense.. will be taking gearbox off soon to find out..
wait 'till I get me van taxed ! /yes :chugchug:

psbarham
30-12-2005, 05:20 PM
when you do put it back together put plenty of copper grease on the input shaft spines(the ones that go into the gear box) and on the release bearing where it slides on the tube bolted to the gearbox and where it pushes on the clutch cover , that should keep things nice and smooth :thumbsup:

The Vee
30-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Just another thought, Those sound like the symptoms of a noisy spigot bush/bearing. But if I recall correctly the VR4 isn't fitted with one. But I seem to recall that your flywheel has not got a hole in the centre where it fits on the crankshaft. So with your spacer, it actually sits further back from the end of the crank. So, bit of a long shot, the input shaft may be just coming into contact with the flywheel and would give you that noise just as drive is being taken up. Look for shiny scoring on the centre of the flywheel. As I say, long shot, but another check worth making when its apart.

psbarham
30-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Just another thought, Those sound like the symptoms of a noisy spigot bush/bearing. But if I recall correctly the VR4 isn't fitted with one. But I seem to recall that your flywheel has not got a hole in the centre where it fits on the crankshaft. So with your spacer, it actually sits further back from the end of the crank. So, bit of a long shot, the input shaft may be just coming into contact with the flywheel and would give you that noise just as drive is being taken up. Look for shiny scoring on the centre of the flywheel. As I say, long shot, but another check worth making when its apart.
good point there, i don't know what the clearance is between the imput shaft and the flywheel face, but that spacer must be at least 10mm thick

BraindG
30-12-2005, 09:54 PM
good point there, i don't know what the clearance is between the imput shaft and the flywheel face, but that spacer must be at least 10mm thick

Yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but no... its used to be fine, its only started happening recently.

andy43
30-12-2005, 10:19 PM
You are kidding me right? It's no wonder the gearbox is making funny noises, with you threatening to take it to bits again /Hmmm
Can't really remember right, but to eliminate the spacer would mean taking a fair bit off of the centre of the flywheel - like about 10mm as has been said - and machining the flywheel accurately would be A Big Job /help

psbarham
30-12-2005, 10:45 PM
its got an alloy flywheel now ? /Hmmm

The Vee
30-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but no... its used to be fine, its only started happening recently.

Probably not then as I would have expected it to be worse at first. Has it ever been difficult to engage gear (especially 1st)?

BraindG
30-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Probably not then as I would have expected it to be worse at first. Has it ever been difficult to engage gear (especially 1st)?
nope, only when cold, but thats normal.

BraindG
30-12-2005, 11:20 PM
its got an alloy flywheel now ? /Hmmm
aye.

BraindG
30-12-2005, 11:21 PM
You are kidding me right? It's no wonder the gearbox is making funny noises, with you threatening to take it to bits again /Hmmm
Can't really remember right, but to eliminate the spacer would mean taking a fair bit off of the centre of the flywheel - like about 10mm as has been said - and machining the flywheel accurately would be A Big Job /help
nothing needs to come of the spacer, atleast i dont think so.. it fits perfectly, the addition of the spacer has not increased any space, its just filled a hole in the flywheel, as it stands the flywheel sits exactly where it should, inrelation to the starter motor for example.

psbarham
30-12-2005, 11:32 PM
aye.
/Hmmm , was there anything wrong with the old flywheel ?

BraindG
31-12-2005, 01:14 AM
it didnt fit the new plate

psbarham
31-12-2005, 10:06 AM
fair enough