PDA

View Full Version : Angle-Grinder Man

Brind
16-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Anyone read about this guy in Times newspaper today?

He apparently goes around grinding off wheel clamps for people free of charge wearing an Angle-Grinder Man costume just like Superman with his Famous 'S' the Angle-Grinder Man as AGM on the front instead. :D

Read more info here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/3112670.stm

Kieran
16-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Yeah! Quite funny, but I hope the cops don't see him at it!

Brind
16-09-2003, 09:48 PM
From The Times newspaper:

Anti-clamper with an angle to grind
By Stefanie Marsh

BY DAY he is an unremarkable odd job man. But by night, clad in a blue catsuit, gold boots and a matching pair of crotch-hugging briefs, a new superhero is patrolling the streets of London.
His mission is to destroy every driver’s most feared and hated enemy: the wheel clamp.

Angle Grinder Man, as he calls himself, has become the scourge of traffic wardens. Armed with a mobile phone and an angle grinder, the mysterious 40-year-old vigilante scours the streets for cars which have fallen foul of stringent parking regulations.

By sawing off clamps, Angle Grinder Man claims that he is “liberating” cars. So far he has “liberated” more than 20, most of them in Islington, Wembley, Greenwich and Herne Hill, where the cost of removing a clamp is £105. Angle Grinder Man launched his crusade a year ago when his own car was clamped.

“I got so angry I went to a hire shop, got an angle grinder and sawed the clamp off,” he said. “People were standing around cheering. It was fantastic. I took a picture of myself with the wheel clamp and stuck it in my car window with a note saying, ‘Don’t clamp me, I have an extremely sensitive nature.’

“I got a fantastic reaction from people. So I decided to become Angle Grinder Man.”

The “UK’s first wheel-clamp and speed camera vigilante cum subversive super-hero-philanthropist” first advertised his unique service, for which he receives no payment, with flyers that he stuck in the windows of clamped cars. A website, anglegrinderman.co.uk, and an “Angle Grinder hotline” soon followed.

Without proof that he was contracted to remove a clamp, Angle Grinder Man claims, local councils are powerless to prosecute individual drivers.

“There’s nothing to prove that anyone called me and arranged for me to remove a clamp. I always tell drivers to pay their fines, but there’s no reason they should pay for the clamp,” he said.

According to police: “Both Angle Grinder Man and the owner of the vehicle could be charged with criminal damage if the driver admitted they consented to the act.”

So far none of Angle Grinder Man’s “clients” has been asked to repay the cost of the sawn-off clamp.

:D :D

Nick VR4
17-09-2003, 10:44 AM
:eek: :eek:

http://www.anglegrinderman.co.uk/agm_sparks.jpg

BraindG
17-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Roflmao - i dont believe what im seeing!!..

Brind
17-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Haha! Haven't seen him in action before. :D

He was on TV this morning too apparently, GMTV I believe.