PDA

View Full Version : Club Magazine?

WildCards
04-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Has anyone seen Honda Revolutions? They have a quarterly magazine which is posted out to all members, while I'm not a member I have bought a few of the back issues which are very informative.

Would it be possible to produce a club magazine here?
I understand we only have the Galant to discuss but it doesn't have to be massive and we could release 2 maybe 3 a year, with a feature car, spec sheet, write ups, announcements, forthcoming events, free business advertisements for club members with their own business and/or approach tuning & parts companies with low advertising rates and possibly a 'how to' section detailing adding/replacement parts.

Some or none of you may know that I am a graphic designer working in the advertising industry already, so I have experience and contacts in the print trade. I would gladly put work into this with the help of at least one other. Or help anyone else who would like the project.

FYI - 500 8 Page A5 brochures printed on 150gsm gloss art would be around £280-£290. I don't know membership figures, would this cover it?

What are everybody's thoughts? Would it be worthwhile? Does the club have the funds for it if advertising was free?

Steve

Spirit
04-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Steve

We did actually have a newsletter many moons ago, but basically it died on it's arse for various reasons - mainly the work involved.

If someone is prepared to put the effort in I think it would be an excellent feature to add to the membership benefits.

In terms of members, we currently have on average around 170-180. Things to consider would of course be postage costs to such places as New Zealand, but we could maybe cover the whole cost of production/postage by selling advertising space to some of the companies we have discounts with (e.g insurance/parts etc) and indeed members as you said.

The price you quoted for 500.....would that include the artwork etc, i.e. is there any other hidden costs ? Of course we don't need 500 so what do you think say 200 would be ?

Anyhow, top idea would love to see it back :thumbsup: Have added it to the next committee meeting agenda.

WildCards
04-01-2006, 08:23 PM
I'd be happy to do the artwork for free up to a certain level of commitment. but i wouldn't want to create all the editorial copy myself, nor do I have the technical knowledge of these cars to do it. If other members could do some write ups, or if i could cut, paste and amend/alter existing text available on the site that could be used.

Basically, i can do the design work, but i'm not precious, if other people want to add creative that fine. But if someone else could handle admin, advert bookings, postage etc that would be good, I can do a bit, but i don't want sole responsibility.

200 brochures as stated above would not be much cheaper, possibly £180-£200, setup costs are where the charge lies in Litho printing. Would postage to NZ be cheaper if it was bulk to a single address, then distributed from there?

If this moves forward a proper meeting may be worthwhile to discuss and clearly understand what is wanted/expected.

gld you think its a goer for now though.

Steve