PDA

View Full Version : Advice on potential purchase please!

justray
04-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi folks

I’m in a bit of a quandary as I’ve seen a 2.4 Galant Estate that’s about 4 hours drive from me but I’m a little unsure as to its pedigree. The garage it is at has another one, a V6 with more bells and whistles but otherwise very similar, same miles etc, but automatic. The one I’m looking at is Jul 03 and £7495, the other is Mar 01 and £6995. The big difference in price seems a little odd and I’m just concerned that I’m buying an inferior model, even though it has a more sporty body and better wheels.

Also, the engine sounds a little underpowered for its size at 145bhp, any opinions?

If you need to see the car it’s at:

http://www.bridgendgroup.co.uk

There isn’t a direct link so you have to navigate to: View over 400 cars > Riverside Autoplex > Search > Mitsu … > Galant > Search

Thanks for your time – oh and by the way I need some snappy advice as I’ve gotta make the decision fast (like 2 to 3 days). TA!!!!

WildCards
04-01-2006, 10:26 PM
2.4's a GDI, has the VR4 bodykit and nice wheels as you've said but is all shirt and no pants. The V6 however is AFAIC the better car, more power, more kit and auto which is why despite the year it isn't a good deal cheaper. IMO if you can live with an auto box and get it for closer to £6000 then thats the one. As long as everything else checks out of course. Nice rare colour too.

2 to 3 days means around 100 posts if not more on these forums, so you'll always be guaranteed a quick response.

psbarham
04-01-2006, 10:36 PM
after looking at the 2 , i would go for the V6 , don't let the fact its an auto put you off , its a tiptronic version , you want manual you got it , you want auto , bingo ! its also got the leather and the digital air con as well , the GDi although its a very clever idea , doesn't work that well in practice (even mitsubishi have put it on the shelf until they iron out all the bugs ) . from the outside the GDi is the better car , but taking all the other options into account the V6 wins :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
04-01-2006, 10:38 PM
I personally would buy the V6 over the GDI. 2.5 over 2.4 any day of the week! From hearing others stories the GDI engine is a masterpiece when working correctly and an abortion when not. I have had a couple of V6's and would have one again if I ever (god forbid!) had to move away from the VR4.

Don't buy the auto V6 unless you don't want a manual box.

I think I have just said don't buy either of those cars!! :rolleyes4 Sorry!! :embarasse

Kenneth
04-01-2006, 11:05 PM
if you really dont like auto's dont be sucked into buying a tiptronic with all this bullox of "manual" shifting... cause it aint. its an auto. :P

Many here have autos and they love them. I tried one in my old car and I didn't like it at all. Have driven auto VR-4 and didn't like it eithier.

Each to their own, but its something to keep in mind.

AncientOfMu
04-01-2006, 11:30 PM
I currently own a '01 model V6 estate Auto and I must say that what you could cnsider is getting the V6 for around 6k and adding the bits to make it look like the newer model. V6 has much more bells and whistles and you can always make a car look anyway you want. Heres what I did.

Purchased '01 model V6 Auto. 6K (Budget was 7K)
Spent 1.5K getting Sport wheels New style grill and front bumper and having the windows tinted. Looks the business and I get all the extras of the V6.

A lot depends on what you have driven before. I've always had manuals but i must admit I do like the Auto box on the Galant.

And if you floor it it revs to 5750 before changing anyway :evil2:

Only issue i have is it only ever seems to want to kick down one gear and sometimes I want to kick down 2. But...thats what the Tiptronic side is for :thumbsup:

Above all if you get a good one its a hell of a lot of car for the money.

Best decision I ever made and now hankering after a VR-4 /Hmmm

marmel31
05-01-2006, 06:21 AM
I have the best of both worlds, I have a 1.8 GDI Legnum and a VR-4 Legnum. I have had no problems at all with the GDI and it is extremely economical. If you want a bit more power go with the V6, if fuel economy is a concern go with the GDI.

The GDI motors do need higher octane fuel to run properly. I run mine on 95 but I use an additive as well. If you run them on 91 (which is the alternative in NZ) they can get carbon build up in the cylinders.

When I say economical I drove from Nelson to Gore on 1 tank of gas. It was full right to the top of the filler and almost completely empty when I got home but it is about 1000km so that's pretty good going.

Rossco Type-S
05-01-2006, 10:31 AM
When I say economical I drove from Nelson to Gore on 1 tank of gas. It was full right to the top of the filler and almost completely empty when I got home but it is about 1000km so that's pretty good going.

Nelson to Gore in one tank isn't bad going, you'd barely get to Blenhiem in the VR4.

ritch_w
05-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi folks

I’m in a bit of a quandary as I’ve seen a 2.4 Galant Estate that’s about 4 hours drive from me but I’m a little unsure as to its pedigree. The garage it is at has another one, a V6 with more bells and whistles but otherwise very similar, same miles etc, but automatic. The one I’m looking at is Jul 03 and £7495, the other is Mar 01 and £6995. The big difference in price seems a little odd and I’m just concerned that I’m buying an inferior model, even though it has a more sporty body and better wheels.

Also, the engine sounds a little underpowered for its size at 145bhp, any opinions?

If you need to see the car it’s at:

http://www.bridgendgroup.co.uk

you are in luck justray - I know these cars and the owners of the garage - I too was considering the v6 but dont have enough ££££ to change up.....

The GDi has the looks - but the V6 is fully loaded with leather, cruise etc etc.
get the V6 and buy the other styling bits.

Also with the auto box - once you have tried it - you will probably be convinced its the right decision.

give me a shout if you are coming to check them out - we could maybe meet up?
where are you coming from???

justray
06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the responses folks, much appreciated. This forum is very much like the one I frequented when I had an Alfa 155 - stacks of keen people willing to help, nice to be back!

I'm now not so sure about the car in question, particularly now g8legnum has his 2.5 for sale. I'm awaiting pictures from him so will keep you info'd.

Ritch W - thanks for the kind offer. Might be down there anyway, will update soon.

J

ritch_w
08-01-2006, 11:56 AM
checked out both these cars yesterday - the v6 has the spec & engine, the GDi has the looks

justray - does it have to be an estate?