PDA

View Full Version : Worrying judder...

ariddell
05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Guys,
When nipping home at lunchtime today my VR4 has started giving a worrying judder of occasion....

The first time was when slowing down to park in the street, having turned a sharp corner at low speed and going to park the car gave a shudder which felt like it was coming from one of the front corners. The only way i can describe it was a kind of shudder/judder and a bit of rumbling... It almost felt like the abs was kicking in at one corner for some reason...

Went back around to see if it would happen again and it did, similar kind of feeling - shudder for a second or so then fine...

Drove back to work, perfectly happy, changes smoothly, no funny noises, brakes fine, come to a roundabout and have to slow right down again, and it feels like in the stage between braking and accelorating again at low speed the judder returns, again the sort of feeling asif the abs had kicked in for a second on one wheel if you know what i mean....

Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers

Al

Japow
05-01-2006, 02:03 PM
My car displays the same symptom every now and again but usually at about 30-40mph or when accelerating thru a right hand turn. Will be interested to see what this could be...

psbarham
05-01-2006, 03:05 PM
sounds like a sticking caliper, mine does it when one of the calipers gets a bit lazy and decides to seize up , a can of WD-40 and an hour of frigging about sorts it out :thumbsup:

ariddell
05-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Considering i had the pads done about 2 weeks ago that might be quite likely...

Phew.

Quail
05-01-2006, 06:15 PM
I know it sounds ridiculously simple, but check all your lug nuts. They have been known to untighten themselves after hard driving, and could definitely cause a bit of judder!

The bolts on the rear passenger side wheel on my friends astra could be undone by hand! That was a worrying moment.

mpau009
05-01-2006, 10:26 PM
My friend had a subaru that was doing something similar, it turned out that there was air or something in the power steering, because the fluid had mostly drained out over a long period of time. You only noticed it at low speed car parking because thats when it was used the most. Might pay to check the fluid levels? Also could do the diagnose test, which should show up ABS faults??

4me
03-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Guys,
When nipping home at lunchtime today my VR4 has started giving a worrying judder of occasion....

Al

If it is happening when driving in a straight line, at low revs, get your auto-transmission fluid changed.

Mine was doing something very similar, fluid change - no more problems.

Something to do with the fluid being too dirty and hence thick to circulate around the torque converter properly at low revs. I use to find the problem would disappear instantly if I changed down a gear (higher revs).

Hope it helps.