PDA

View Full Version : belts

maori_by_nature
07-01-2006, 04:17 AM
4 like the 5th tym now i've lost my belts alt/power stearing etc any1 had any similar probs or no wat it might b the mechanic's have pulled it apart and cant find anything...

michaeli
08-01-2006, 12:00 AM
I have the same issue, I changed the power steering pump... same thing happened...

I did notice that it only happens when I'm giving it large!! :evil2:

I think that it is the engine movement on accelleration, so I'm looking at replacing the engine mounts (or maybe tightening them if they're lose?)

what ever you do, don't bounce of the rev limiter!!!

if you find anything conclusive, let me know!!

Regards,

Mike :thumbsup:

PS: You may find we're the only one with this problem as we're two of few with 'real' gearboxes!! LOL /yes

You See
08-01-2006, 12:05 AM
PS: You may find we're the only one with this problem as we're two of few with 'real' gearboxes!! LOL /yes

I do, but I don't have the problems! ...yet! :leer:

psbarham
08-01-2006, 12:06 AM
its more common than you think , physician had a new pulley made up to stop this happening , and quiet a few of the trackday boys carry a spare belt with them coz of this problem . its to do with the belt flapping at high revs and then jumping the pully

zedy1
08-01-2006, 12:08 AM
ive had this problem when it was auto and now its manual it is still there :embarasse

Physician
08-01-2006, 12:13 AM
If you do a search for power steering pump you should come up with some of my posts about this issue.

I have now had a special power steering pulley made for me and it's solved the problem. (Albeit the damn p/s pumps bearing has now gone and I need to get that replaced - whining).

I had loads of belts go at speed on track and changed everything before finding this solution (pulley with higher lips to stop the belt 'running off').

Sorry ....... why is [img] code OFF in this forum??? :embarasse

maori_by_nature
08-01-2006, 12:31 AM
my belts have come off at high and low speed/rev's it's a right pain in the ass. thanks for all the help thought.

Sorry ....... why is [img] code OFF in this forum??? :embarasse i dont no, how do i change it???

michaeli
08-01-2006, 07:15 PM
I do, but I don't have the problems! ...yet! :leer:

Drive faster then!! :evil2: :evil2:

pezza
08-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Not only do they jump off... they seem to deteriorate quite rapidly...

I was alarmed to see the state of mine yesterday!! shredded!!

Kenneth
08-01-2006, 07:54 PM
does it have anything to do with running more than standard boost? maybe pre-facelift cars?

I havent had any belt problems at all eithier... And I don't exactly drive like a pensioner /Hmmm

KiwiTT
08-01-2006, 09:57 PM
No problems here ether, with my belts. I did have them all replaced 2 years ago, with my "D" service.

maori_by_nature
08-01-2006, 10:04 PM
had a talk with my mech 2day he seems to think i need a custom idler built..... any thoughts?

Physician
09-01-2006, 02:13 AM
had a talk with my mech 2day he seems to think i need a custom idler built..... any thoughts?

Had mine replaced ....... doesn't make any difference. :embarasse

AllBeItMine
09-01-2006, 05:29 AM
i have had the same problem. and i have a therory...

if you car has no under engine body protection, crap will kick up into the belts, as the bottom of the tensioner pully is quite close to the ground...

then if you do what i did and over tension it to try and keep it on there - it will run the bearings in the pump and screw it!

Physician
09-01-2006, 12:22 PM
i have had the same problem. and i have a therory...

if you car has no under engine body protection, crap will kick up into the belts, as the bottom of the tensioner pully is quite close to the ground...

then if you do what i did and over tension it to try and keep it on there - it will run the bearings in the pump and screw it!

That theory doesn't work (for me anyway) as I have all my under-engine splash guards in place. :embarasse

Physician
09-01-2006, 12:24 PM
my belts have come off at high and low speed/rev's it's a right pain in the ass. thanks for all the help thought.

i dont no, how do i change it???

YOU can't maori ....... it's an admin thing :happy: