PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems with the car ...

Bal
12-01-2006, 08:12 PM
i got initial teething problems iwth the car. it has trouble starting.

it's a bit weird and both Legnum Boy and I thoguht it would be a battery issue but now im not sure.

i've topped up the water levels on the battery and charged it fully over night but it still wont start up.

what im doing is this -

1. disable immobiliser
2. turn the ignition
3. all teh lights come on and nothing happens. starter motor doesnt turn or even attempt to turn
4. turn off ignition

after trying it a couple of times it eventually starts.

tomorrow im gonna take the car to kwik fit to get the battery checked out as it still is under warranty. also mitsubishi are gonna check the electrics when i take it in for a service.

if you have any ideas let me know. could it be a bad connection on the start motor (my clio had this once).

thanks
B

OSiRiS
12-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Who installed your alarm?

Get your immobiliser checked out :)

bucho
12-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I recently had this problem and like you I thought also that it was the battery bought a new one still the problem existed It turned out that one of my censors blew. cant remember which one will have to check invoice when i get home.

BraindG
12-01-2006, 08:39 PM
im having this problem, does it tick tick tick sometimes, like when the battery is flat?

psbarham
12-01-2006, 08:40 PM
check the wires to the inhibitor switch on the gear box , its the 1/3 moon shape bit on top of the gear box , clean that up , mine had a spazy fit after i got it , it turns out that as part of the service they dump 7 1/2 kilos of grease on it and it gets a bit sticky

Bal
12-01-2006, 09:31 PM
k i'll check out the library to find out where this is. im also inclined to think it's the immobiliser not disarming properly or playing silly beggars wiht me.

BG i dont get any ticking ... its like the immobiliser hasnt disarmed. but the interesting bit is when i do start the car if i turn it off and try and start it again it sometimes wont start yet i know the immobiliser has defo disabled.

AderC
12-01-2006, 09:44 PM
I have these exact symptoms occasionally (happened today in fact). Seems to be a dodgy sensor in the auto box and it thinks it's out of Park when it isn't so won't start. Move the gear lever out of Park and back in again, then try starting it again.

Bal
12-01-2006, 10:57 PM
putting out of park and back into park doesnt sortit

pezza
12-01-2006, 11:01 PM
This happens to me and its with increasin regularity

What i have to do is take key out and put it back in and turn straight away...
i wondered if it was an ignition barrel thing...

:inquisiti

other times if i have just disarmed the immobiliser, I have to wait for a click (almost like a relay) before it will turn over...

I will get to the bottom of it someday... it only takes at most 3 times before it fires up...

AderC
12-01-2006, 11:03 PM
It was worth a try. Sounds more like the inhibitor switch in that case.

Nick Mann
12-01-2006, 11:07 PM
putting out of park and back into park doesnt sortit

Try neutral?

BraindG
13-01-2006, 12:08 AM
can i also add, the clicking sounds like it comes from the centre console, perhaps ever the footwel of the pass side.. not always though.. i dont think, atleast not in my case, that its the ignition barrel.

Wodjno
13-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Ignition coil, maybe ? /Hmmm

BraindG
13-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Ignition coil, maybe ? /Hmmm
****ed car? :D

Bal
13-01-2006, 09:20 AM
do not say ****ed car ...

cars fine once started ... there is no ticking, i already thought of cycling to netural and back to park ... trip to auto electricians me feel. but i'll check the inhibitor switch as well.

B

Nick Mann
13-01-2006, 11:13 AM
i already thought of cycling to netural and back to park

I meant try starting the car in neutral. Mine will so I guess others will too? I haven't looked at the inhibitor switch, but maybe being in neutral will put the switch in a different position.

Polabear
13-01-2006, 11:19 AM
i got initial teething problems iwth the car. it has trouble starting.

it's a bit weird and both Legnum Boy and I thoguht it would be a battery issue but now im not sure.

i've topped up the water levels on the battery and charged it fully over night but it still wont start up.

what im doing is this -

1. disable immobiliser
2. turn the ignition
3. all teh lights come on and nothing happens. starter motor doesnt turn or even attempt to turn
4. turn off ignition

after trying it a couple of times it eventually starts.

tomorrow im gonna take the car to kwik fit to get the battery checked out as it still is under warranty. also mitsubishi are gonna check the electrics when i take it in for a service.

if you have any ideas let me know. could it be a bad connection on the start motor (my clio had this once).

thanks
B

Most important thing of all to check is that all of your chassis earths are in good condition and tight with no corrosion under them.... :thumbsup: and check all electrical connections from battery to starter /yes

Bal
13-01-2006, 11:31 AM
pb ... totally agree ...

BraindG
13-01-2006, 01:58 PM
do not say ****ed car ...

Was referring to my cursed car
:embarasse

Bal
13-01-2006, 03:38 PM
no no no .... all vr4s are good ... no cursed cars amongst us.

pezza
13-01-2006, 03:41 PM
:inquisiti err ok :D

Bal
14-01-2006, 08:30 PM
question - if by putting in to neutral solves the problem would this point to the inhibitor switch?

just got back to oxford so i thoguht id try the suggestion. basically if it doesnt start i put it into neutral, foot on brake, turn off and turn on and so far it's started first time.

thoguhts ....

u guys will make a mechanic out ofme yet :)

Yoda
14-01-2006, 08:48 PM
question - if by putting in to neutral solves the problem would this point to the inhibitor switch?

just got back to oxford so i thoguht id try the suggestion. basically if it doesnt start i put it into neutral, foot on brake, turn off and turn on and so far it's started first time.

thoguhts ....

u guys will make a mechanic out ofme yet :)

Not sure, but your post count, at present, says something evil is going on!

Sign of the devil at work?

Bal
14-01-2006, 09:12 PM
the force strong in you it is ...

Yoda
15-01-2006, 12:40 AM
the force strong in you it is ...

Problem solved, 667 posts!

Well done my young padawan.

Bal
15-01-2006, 02:04 AM
ok so neutral didnt work and now im drunk so no car stuff for me for a bit.

auto electrians ....

Legnum Boy
15-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Is the battery now fully charged and holding that charge?

I honestly never had this problem until after the battery went flat. I still think it is related. /yes

Bal
15-01-2006, 11:00 AM
ed it is holding its charge. battery is showing a standing charge of 12.2 v and then 14.3 on startup (when it works).

its starting to start more consistently now.

i might just take the car to kwik fit anyways to get the battery checked out but i dont think its the battery.

i suspect that becuse the cars been standing a connection has either come loose, rusted, got crap on it and is making a bad link somewhere.

dont worry about it. cars are funny things and everyone always has teething problems when purchasing a new beast.

i just hope its not me being stupid and disabling the flashy alarms in a wrong manner.

Kieran
15-01-2006, 01:02 PM
battery is showing a standing charge of 12.2 v

That's a bit low. Might be worth trying a new battery.

BraindG
15-01-2006, 03:06 PM
thats normal isnt it Kieran? mine shows around that figure when i turn on the ignition. going up to 14 odd when cars started.

Kieran
15-01-2006, 03:08 PM
thats normal isnt it Kieran? mine shows around that figure when i turn on the ignition. going up to 14 odd when cars started.

Err - dunno exactly, but looked a tad low to me? I normally see minimum of 12.6 on my car with ignition off?

Bal
15-01-2006, 03:41 PM
well the news from kwik sh*t is this -

1. battery is faulty, alternator is trying to charge it but the battery isnt taking the charge.
2. they wont replace the battery becuase im not Ed. Apparently the warranty is not just held on the goods but the person who bought it.

so Ed ... fancy a trip to kwik fit ??

or do you mind if I act as an imposter???

i hate kwik fit .... flipping monkies ....

another option is to buy a new battery but a sealed one?? anyone have any recommendations ... im a big fan of Bosch Batteries but unsure what is suitable for this car.

thanks
B

WildCards
15-01-2006, 10:51 PM
A battery is a battery isn't it?

OSiRiS
15-01-2006, 11:05 PM
A battery is far from just a battery when it comes to running a competition SPL car such as mine. Batteries will make or break when it comes to competition.

And in a normal application they are just as important. Afterall, they decide if your car wants to start in the morning ;)

WildCards
15-01-2006, 11:10 PM
A battery is far from just a battery when it comes to running a competition SPL car such as mine. Batteries will make or break when it comes to competition.

And in a normal application they are just as important. Afterall, they decide if your car wants to start in the morning ;)

Uhh. I've never really thought about it, the car starts = good, it doesn't = bad, not that i'm technically minded, but what difference does it make to a competition car?

Bal
15-01-2006, 11:15 PM
when it comes to audio batteries make a hooj difference.

i used to run bosch silver tops in my clio and then a yellow top for the audio. was thinking that as i got a moderatly large audio install thought i might as well get a good battery. but i dont want to run split batts again ...

Kieran
16-01-2006, 12:40 AM
If it helps, when my original Alternator let go, it took the battery with it, forcing me to use my spare out of my coupe (A 335amp battery about as big as the 'Warm Area Specification' Jap batteries). This had just about enough power to crank the engine, though it didn't like cold mornings.

I have since fitted an Exide ultra, and at 630amps (cold cranking) it has no trouble starting the car whatever the weather.

One tip - The VR-4 needs a battery with the posts towards the back. A lot of UK batteries have them nearer the front.

rozkopp
18-01-2006, 08:21 PM
I get this problem if I use the foldy mirrors button. If I fold them in and leave the car over night, when I come to fire it up, its dead! just the dreded ticking noise and the crazy rev needle goes round and round. Have to use a booster to start. But if I don't close the mirrors, its fine. Wierd!

OSiRiS
18-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Maybe the mirror motors are still turning ever so slightly?

Bal
28-01-2006, 08:21 AM
nah it aint hte mirrors.

pezz came round before i went to teh states and it looks like i have the same issue that he's beginning to see on his vr4. it does start but just takes a couple of attempts to try.

car going into mitsi on monday for it's first service with me so they are gonna look at it.

anyways alls good.

B

Bal
30-01-2006, 04:13 PM
it's the ignition barrel according to the friendly mitsi mechanics. they said dont worry about it and they wont replace it.

BraindG
30-01-2006, 08:08 PM
hmm, is it? - mines getting worse, taking about 10 fiddles of key to get the fecking thing started.

pezza
30-01-2006, 08:23 PM
it's the ignition barrel according to the friendly mitsi mechanics. they said dont worry about it and they wont replace it.

Top drawer m8! Mine takes 2 or 3 goes sometimes.... I can live with it for now.. *until I get stuck out in the sticks and it finally gives up* :embarasse

Bal
30-01-2006, 10:13 PM
well they said dont worry about it just do that trick u showed me to start ...

they washed my car as well :) Keiran you would be pleased - that's the job done until the next service ...

Kieran
30-01-2006, 10:39 PM
they washed my car as well :) Keiran you would be pleased - that's the job done until the next service ...

:inquisiti /grr

Bal
31-01-2006, 04:37 AM
messing messing ....

pezza
31-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Problems sleeping as well as starting Bal? :inquisiti

Bal
31-01-2006, 12:17 PM
jet lag .... still !!