PDA

View Full Version : track day; 12th feb; Donnington

SGHOM
15-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Donnington park.. 12th Feb..98db limit. :embarasse
I'm not going to book in advance, but I plan on going. It's £20 more on the day, but at this time of year........ as we found out on the 29th dec !! ... the weather will dictate the procedings !! /yes
Hopefully, next week I'll have my exhaust sorted, & will be under the 98db limit. [ I need to for RT3 !! ]
At the moment, It's just Chris [ impreza ] & me ?? any more ? /Hmmm /Steeringw /Steeringw

1] SGHOM
2] Barnard
3] Wouter
4] physican
5] Rally 205

Wouter
15-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Do you need a co-pilot? /Steeringw

SGHOM
15-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Do you need a co-pilot? /Steeringw

need you ask ? /yes /yes

Wouter
15-01-2006, 12:11 PM
need you ask ? /yes /yes

Thanks D :thumbsup:

richy rich
15-01-2006, 12:15 PM
don't do it d i was in the car with him yesterday (scarry) :joker: :joker:

Wouter
15-01-2006, 12:19 PM
/grr /pan :rolleyes4 :soapbox: :smash: /wall :rifle: /whip /TTTH :deal2:

richy rich
15-01-2006, 12:21 PM
/haz

SGHOM
21-01-2006, 12:15 PM
So thats it then ?? :embarasse :embarasse just 2 cars ?? /help /pan /pan & one's a scooby. :rolleyes4

Nick Mann
21-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Would love to! But have issues still to solve.

To borrow an old members motto....

SMOKIN'!!

HJM
21-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Sorry Derek would love to go but have other committments in Jan and March and won't be able to splash out on Donny :sad3:

H

Physician
21-01-2006, 01:33 PM
So thats it then ?? :embarasse :embarasse just 2 cars ?? /help /pan /pan & one's a scooby. :rolleyes4

Pffft!

You must be joking Derek. We need to tackle that Scoobie and record the fact that the high performance Galants can outstrip them any day. May need to have my video camera facing backwards for this one ........... :smug:

I will most likely be there and I know Marcus (Rally205) is also coming.

Bacon rolls anyone?

SGHOM
21-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Chris is putting a standard zorst back on the scooby, so hopefully he will be under 98db. :rolleyes4 still has the 5" megaphone on at the mo, & will try the 1st session with that !! /help
If he gets black flagged.... It's all hands on deck to get them swapped over for the next session ! /Steeringw /Steeringw

richy rich
21-01-2006, 06:20 PM
i might come and watch

Physician
21-01-2006, 09:01 PM
i might come and watch

You're obviously welcome to passenger rich ........ bring helmet. :thumbsup:

richy rich
21-01-2006, 10:35 PM
thanks richard i might do that

Spirit
21-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Sorry guys, with the new business and all that I won't be able to make this either :embarasse

Won't they sound test you before going on track then ?

richy rich
21-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Sorry guys, with the new business and all that I won't be able to make this either :embarasse

Won't they sound test you before going on track then ?
no pete they have to do a drive past test :embarasse

WildCards
22-01-2006, 12:09 AM
I might be able to make it for a butchers.

Rally205
30-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Ok. I will deffo be there and I am bringing my mate along with his scooby. /Steeringw

WildCards
30-01-2006, 11:30 PM
I'll come for an hour or two to say hello if i get time. I take it spectators rules apply as usual?

michaeli
31-01-2006, 05:22 PM
I'll be there... :thumbsup:

Even though I don't have the leggie anymore... :embarasse

Might have an Evo by then :evil2:

But might not... :embarasse

See you there...

SGHOM
31-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Wouter & I may be there as spectators only. :embarasse :embarasse
I still have some unresolved issues with my car.

new iridium plugs fitted.. standard air box back on.. boost returned to normal... & still it misfires ??
Cat & center pipe back on this weekend. we'll see what happens then. /help

Rally205
03-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Also may bring another mate with a BMW :embarasse

What time have we got to be at signing on?

The Vee
03-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Love to go, but car not ready in time :embarasse

SGHOM
04-02-2006, 10:42 PM
not more of the white stuff ?? :embarasse :embarasse /pan /grr

http://uk.weather.com/weather/detail/UKXX0040?dayNum=8

MPBVr4
06-02-2006, 11:04 AM
What's the start time (3 hour drive). Might come up and have a look.

Rally205
09-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Signing on starts at 7.30am so what time is everyone meeting up?

WildCards
10-02-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm hoping to pop along for a look with the Super - be later than 7.30am though /pan

HJM
10-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Have a great day guys - wish we could be there - but packing takes priority, sadly /pan

Someone take some piccies :2thumbsup

J :happy:

Physician
10-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Signing on starts at 7.30am so what time is everyone meeting up?

I plan to arrive at the Cafe between 07.30 - 08.00. If I'm still asleep just kick me please Marcus.

Physician
10-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Weather forecast looks promising.

Showers in the morning/Banana ...... but a positive heatwave at 8°C :bananadan

Bal
11-02-2006, 11:41 AM
im actually going to be in northampton so i might pop along in the 4.

what time are you guys usually there till?

Brunty
11-02-2006, 12:39 PM
So those out on the track are there from 7.30am.

Can some one post the session times and give an idea of when it's likely to finish - I may well drop in.

Ta

Steve

MPBVr4
11-02-2006, 02:07 PM
So those out on the track are there from 7.30am.

Can some one post the session times and give an idea of when it's likely to finish - I may well drop in.

Ta

Steve

I'm aiming to get there about 11 o'clock will I miss much?

Malc

Physician
11-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Basically the system is ..........

People actually going on track will sign on around 08.00, both drivers and passengers.

Anyone can turn up at any time of the day and sign on if places are still available and they can find the organisers ..... who usually hang around the Cafe.

Spectators can obviously arrive when they want.

Donington track days are usually split into three groups - novice, intermediate and experienced. The groups go out on track for 20 minute sessions in order. Lunchtime is 13.00 - 14.00 and it will finish at roughly 16.00 depending on light.

Anyone who is new to it all should probably find the Cafe and look for any of us.

SGHOM
11-02-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm picking Becky up at 7 am. so should be there by 8/8.30 ish.
Joe is supposed to be coming also, but he's vanished !! /Grrr :thinking:

Chris [ barnard ] has packed a lump hammer !!! ...... just in case !! :inquisiti

RED
11-02-2006, 08:01 PM
According to Donnington yesterday they had 30 confirmed racers so it may be an open pit lane with any luck:2thumbsup Have fun tomorrow guys and if Marcus bends the car don't send him home /pan Drive safely now:happy:

WildCards
11-02-2006, 08:57 PM
I might come a bit earlier, the kids will have me up from 7am, so may aswell get out early.

Kieran
11-02-2006, 08:59 PM
I will probably pop down at some point to watch - depends when I get out of bed!!:zzz:

Is there a chance of a suicide seat ride if I bring my helmet?:happy:

Physician
11-02-2006, 09:55 PM
I will probably pop down at some point to watch - depends when I get out of bed!!:zzz:

Is there a chance of a suicide seat ride if I bring my helmet?:happy:

Of course! :happy:

richy rich
11-02-2006, 10:23 PM
/Hissy /Hissy :furious3: :furious3: i have to work

have a good day all.

g6acb
11-02-2006, 10:31 PM
HHmmmm, unexpected day of tomorrow, Gf off to the outlaws......... decision made, up early for a quick blast down the M62 / M1 for the 5th time this week for a look.... If i am Welcome??

Will be good to put a few faces to names - best keep the car away from Kieran if he shows up though ......

She's not exactly in 3 step Meguiars condition at the mo...

Kieran
11-02-2006, 10:59 PM
best keep the car away from Kieran if he shows up though ......

She's not exactly in 3 step Meguiars condition at the mo...

:inquisiti /Grrr /pan

Kieran
12-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Of course! :happy:

Brilliant - Never tried Donny, so will be interesting to experience! Thanks Richard.

Derek - are you on track tomorrow or is your Legnum still misfiring?

SGHOM
12-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Derek - are you on track tomorrow or is your Legnum still misfiring?

not on track... just spectating/passengering. !!
Becky will be with me, & she wants to go in all the cars on track ! /help

Jimbo
12-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Have fun everyone and stay safe. Sorry but I won't be able to join to all - hopefully next time.

SGHOM
12-02-2006, 07:00 PM
What a spectacular days entertainment !! :2thumbsup :2thumbsup and what a turnout !! Marcus + several mates.. Richard & daughter..me & daughter..Chris & family..Martin & family.. Adrian.. Wouter & Carmel.. Kieran [ eventually /pan ]..Steve.. Brunty ........... have I missed anyone ??/help

Steve [ Marcus's mate ] has to take the honour of being a complete nutter on the track !! /duh coming down craner curves at breakneck speed in the pouring rain... lost his scooby, & did a FULL 720 degree spin !! :inquisiti amazingly.. he kept it on the black stuff & ended up pointing the right way & carried on !! :2thumbsup

two sessions later, he was not so lucky. lost at the same point, & skidded into the kitty litter. /help how the car stayed upright I do not know. Wouter was in with him, & we all fully expected the car to flip over. [ It was on 2 wheels just before it came to a halt ] :2thumbsup

There will be a 'photo of the day' posted on the BMW forums somewhere, as an M3 slammed in to a concrete barrier. the cameraman caught the moment of impact, just as both airbags exploded !!

We all made it around the track safely, even though Chris in his scooby had a few 360 spins !! [ one with Becky in the suicide seat ! ]
/help

plenty of pics & vids to follow I'm sure ! fantastic day.

Physician
12-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Derek is certainly correct in saying it was a spectacular day.

The track was LETHAL today with many people spinning off at various points as Derek described. BUT, the VR4's stuck like glue .......... just !!!

Here is the first of loads of video footage. It's the BMW M3 that Derek mentioned when I was following him before his accident. You can see him twitching a couple of times and the subsequent result an hour or so later. (Nearly 10Mb so will take a while to load)

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/mthree.mov

map-man
12-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Steve [ Marcus's mate ] has to take the honour of being a complete nutter on the track !! /duh coming down craner curves at breakneck speed in the pouring rain... lost his scooby, & did a FULL 720 degree spin !! :inquisiti amazingly.. he kept it on the black stuff & ended up pointing the right way & carried on !! :2thumbsup

two sessions later, he was not so lucky. lost at the same point, & skidded into the kitty litter. /help how the car stayed upright I do not know. Wouter was in with him, & we all fully expected the car to flip over. [ It was on 2 wheels just before it came to a halt ] :2thumbsup

plenty of pics & vids to follow I'm sure ! fantastic day.

Hi, thought I'd register and say Hi! The Scooby was Rupert, I (steve) was in the celica.

Cracking day, first time on track with some decent power and 4wd in the wet - top fun :evilgrin:

If anyone has any pics or video of my antics I'd love to see em!

Steve

SGHOM
12-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi, thought I'd register and say Hi! The Scooby was Rupert, I (steve) was in the celica.

Cracking day, first time on track with some decent power and 4wd in the wet - top fun :evilgrin:

If anyone has any pics or video of my antics I'd love to see em!

Steve

Just how fast is you're car ?? you're back in the united states already !! :evilgrin: :2thumbsup

g6acb
12-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Many thanks for the freindly welcome, great to see so many VR-4's in the flesh, and very impressed with their performance on the track (and of Marcus and Richard) for keeping them stuck to the 'black stuff' when so many did not!!!

Made me question my decision to stick with a 2 litre n/a until I filled up on the way home and got 36mpg for the last tankfull!!!

BraindG
12-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Made me question my decision to stick with a 2 litre n/a until I filled up on the way home and got 36mpg for the last tankfull!!!
/pan /pan

RED
12-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Glad you all had a great day and managed to come home in one piece - just/pan I'm sure Rue will give me a blow by blow account later and that whatever happened he was in control/help-yeah right!! Hey map-man heard you did a bit of grass cutting yourself - do I need to come and show you boys how it's done/Nuuu

Well Marcus seems to have had great fun as he is now in the bath with Em trying to wipe the smirk of his face - oh and :iloveyou: for not bending the car - you have permission to take it out again:curtain: /YMaster

MPBVr4
12-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Just got back. (Well about an hour ago now I've uplaoded photos)

Got the passport out today and ventured north of Birmingham to put a few faces to names.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome and friendly banter. Despite the c**p weather it was really enjoyable and sometimes exciting day. Richard and Marcus showing a good turn of speed in the obviously very slippery conditions. (long live AYC!!!):2thumbsup

Thank's to Derek for the loan of a helmet. Jos (my son) now has ideas on tracking MY car - he must be b***dy joking./help

Attached are a few pics. Sorry, not up to the standard of the HJM photographer.

A great day.:happy: :happy:

Malc & Jos (Alias Martin & Family) :thinking:

Rally205
12-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I have just checked with Rue that our speedos are correct as we were hitting over 115mph down the craner curves in the pouring rain/help and I was backing off because he was holding me up:uhoh2: :satan:

I have to say that after driving the VR4 on track for the first time that I am in awe of it. It grips so well and the AYC does an excellent job. It was more fun with the traction control turned off though.:embarasse

HJM
12-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Hey, looks like a great days tracking - nice one and all home safely :2thumbsup

Great video and pics - wish we could have been there /yes

WildCards
12-02-2006, 11:52 PM
The first pic there is by far the best :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Indeed a great day for what portion I was there.

I would like to pay homage to Richards (Physician) driving skills, despite a little sideways action with me in the passenger seat, he managed to contro the car really well, and did a good job of upstageing many cars that you'd think quicker on track. So nice one mate :2thumbsup

:thumbsup to MPBVR4, bloody long journey you two made. Did your son get a go in the afternoon?

I've got some pics but I've left my gubbins in the car, so i'll upload tomorrow.

Steve

richy rich
13-02-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm so p*ssed of i missed this one i finished work at 22.00 and started at 9.oo.
13 hours on a Sunday just so my mates kids have got heating and hot water.

as per normal great vid richard

glad you all had a great day.

SGHOM
13-02-2006, 12:26 AM
I have just checked with Rue that our speedos are correct as we were hitting over 115mph down the craner curves in the pouring rain/help and I was backing off because he was holding me up:uhoh2: :satan:

I have to say that after driving the VR4 on track for the first time that I am in awe of it. It grips so well and the AYC does an excellent job. It was more fun with the traction control turned off though.:embarasse

115 ?? /help /help thats very quick in those conditions !! :2thumbsup

lets not mention the cossie shall we ? /pan /pan /Grrr

map-man
13-02-2006, 12:34 AM

you mean 115 *KPH* surely :scholar:

Neither of you could keep up with a 16 year old toyota, I'll get some places booked for you at the race school before the next one :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Right I'm off to bed having just got in from a curry and :5shots:

map-man
13-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Hey map-man heard you did a bit of grass cutting yourself - do I need to come and show you boys how it's done/Nuuu

Well Marcus seems to have had great fun as he is now in the bath with Em trying to wipe the smirk of his face - oh and :iloveyou: for not bending the car - you have permission to take it out again:curtain: /YMaster

I did, but you see the GT4 has rally pedigree and is drawn to the muddy stuff every now and again. Once was self induced by turning in about a month too early, the second by nasty japanese electrics saying too much boost and cutting the fuel/Grrr

Should you be out there showing us the way????? Nah there some ironing to do /lol

Kieran
13-02-2006, 12:44 AM
What a great day (what I saw of it.... :zzz: /pan )

Thanks to Richard for a Suicide seat ride (I'll post more on that in a bit) and great to Meet Adrian and Martin(?! is it Martin or Malc? I'm terrible with names!!/pan).

map-man
13-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Should you be out there showing us the way????? Nah there some ironing to do /lol

Oh boy I'll regret that one for sure.......

too much :beerbang: and not enough :thinking2

errr /help

SGHOM
13-02-2006, 12:52 AM
There will be a 'photo of the day' posted on the BMW forums somewhere, as an M3 slammed in to a concrete barrier. the cameraman caught the moment of impact, just as both airbags exploded !!

OOH !!!! found it !!.............. enjoy ! :2thumbsup

http://www.eventpics.co.uk/album.html

pic; 2163.

HJM
13-02-2006, 12:55 AM
OOH !!!! found it !!.............. enjoy ! :2thumbsup

pic; 2163.

Ha - oopsy /pan

Was he just pushing too hard or unlucky :inquisiti

Great pics though :2thumbsup

Physician
13-02-2006, 06:49 AM
Well, posted that video last night of the BMW and then pomptly fell asleep until 04.00 a.m.

Great to meet some new faces ......... and a special thanks to MPBVR4 for coming such a long way. Glad you all got home safely.

Thanks for the nice words Steve and Kieran ....... but I have to say that YOU guys have big balls - I would be a terrible passenger, especially in those conditions with the rear end twitching so much.

Sorry I missed saying goodbye to some of you ..... BUT it was worth it as Wales won! Yea!!!

I've been editing the video I took and here are the links for your amusement: (Sorry about the sound ...... I had to put on my AC to clear the windows as they were steaming up and the camera picks it up as close to the air vents).

1] http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/feb06/donfeb1.mov

2] http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/feb06/donfeb2.mov

3] http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/feb06/donfeb3.mov

4] http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/feb06/donfeb4.mov

5] http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Movies/feb06/donfeb5.mov

RED
13-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Oh boy I'll regret that one for sure.......

too much :beerbang: and not enough :thinking2

errr /help

Ohhh you so know you are in the deepest dog poo ever/Handbag the steam cleaner has gone from FOC per wash to a fiver/pan

MPBVr4
13-02-2006, 11:35 AM
The first pic there is by far the best :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Indeed a great day for what portion I was there.

I would like to pay homage to Richards (Physician) driving skills, despite a little sideways action with me in the passenger seat, he managed to contro the car really well, and did a good job of upstageing many cars that you'd think quicker on track. So nice one mate :2thumbsup

:thumbsup to MPBVR4, bloody long journey you two made. Did your son get a go in the afternoon?

I've got some pics but I've left my gubbins in the car, so i'll upload tomorrow.

Steve

Thanks for the "donation" Steve. He got a ride in a Cupra R last session of the
afternoon. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately he now has aspiration of tracking my VR4 - I don't think so !!!

MPBVr4
13-02-2006, 11:40 AM
What a great day (what I saw of it.... :zzz: /pan )

Thanks to Richard for a Suicide seat ride (I'll post more on that in a bit) and great to Meet Adrian and Martin(?! is it Martin or Malc? I'm terrible with names!!/pan).

Cheers Kieran, it's Malc,actually but if that's the worst I'm called, who cares.
Great to see you all :2thumbsup

MPBVr4
13-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Finally found time to download vid (back in the office now). Brilliant !! Love
the in car entertainment, Richard, your motor sounds great inside and out.

Wouter
13-02-2006, 12:25 PM
That was an brilliant day!!

Carmel and I made a last minute decition to come, and it was well worth it!!

Thanks to Rupert (Scooby driver) for athe two sessions as a passanger and thanks to MAP-MAN for the Drifting lessons! :2thumbsup

pezza
13-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Yes, Richs car has that nice V6-24 growl... Sounds good..

Rich have you ever considered detachable bull bars for your car on track day ? :evilgrin:

WildCards
13-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the "donation" Steve. He got a ride in a Cupra R last session of the
afternoon. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately he now has aspiration of tracking my VR4 - I don't think so !!!

They grey one? With the big spoiler on the back?

I'm jealous, that looked a very purposeful machine, good to see you both. Hope you'll be at a few meets this year.

MPBVr4
13-02-2006, 01:08 PM
They grey one? With the big spoiler on the back?

I'm jealous, that looked a very purposeful machine, good to see you both. Hope you'll be at a few meets this year.

Unfortunately not the race prep'd grey one, it was the standard blue one - the one a couple of cars in front of Richard in the vid. Still quite lively by all accounts.

WildCards
13-02-2006, 01:17 PM
ahh, not jealous then!

What time did you guys get home?

MPBVr4
13-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Got back about 8, after a hold up on M5, somebody totalled Citroen Saxo in the fast lane. Also got the best mpg ever (for me) 24.8 at a steady 80-85.

Think I'd best get on with some work now - seem to have been on here all morning. Still it's nearly lunch time, what the heck!!

RED
13-02-2006, 04:03 PM
This is where a scooby should be and especially if it's Rupert's /pan :evilgrin:

Picture 2145-LE

map-man
13-02-2006, 05:08 PM
This is where a scooby should be and especially if it's Rupert's /pan :evilgrin:

Picture 2145-LE

Scooby driver in mobile legnum chicane shocker.........:smug:

Kieran
14-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Scooby driver in mobile legnum chicane shocker.........:smug:

Shouldn't that read: "Scooby driver outgunned as per usual"

/STP /Devil5

Physician
14-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Rich have you ever considered detachable bull bars for your car on track day ? :evilgrin:

Lol Pezza, now there's an idea .............:inquisiti

RED
14-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Shouldn't that read: "Scooby driver outgunned as per usual"

/STP /Devil5

/haz

He was supposed to wash it yesterday and bring it round so we could see how bad his gravel rash was but he was conspicuos (?) by his abcense - I think he's avoiding me so I don't take the p1$$ anymore:evilgrin:

WildCards
14-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Okey Dokey, sorted the camera lead out and here we have the decent pictures I took.

Enjoy.

SGHOM
18-06-2006, 11:36 AM
but I just got this vid from Chris [ Barnard ]

he was in his scooby-do following a couple of 205's. :inquisiti just watch the amazing car control of the lead driver !! /pan /pan

http://media.putfile.com/205-spin

Physician
18-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Ohhh! Lol - good bit of video there ............. bring back memories of a similar incident Derek?

SGHOM
18-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Ohhh! Lol - good bit of video there ............. bring back memories of a similar incident Derek?

yes It does Rich !! :iloveyou:

here's one of Chris taking my 17 yr old daughters 'track virginity' !! /pan /pan

yet another muppet who cant go round corners, eh Chris ?? !! :inquisiti :2thumbsup

http://media.putfile.com/spin-17

enjoy ! :2thumbsup

Physician
18-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Hehehe! THAT is exactly the same place, and only place, I've ever spun myself ...... but I was in a MUCH faster car of course!