PDA

View Full Version : question about a V6 Sport

riggidy_bo
15-01-2006, 10:28 PM
hi guys im hoping someone can help me.
I've had my eye on a 2000 model galant V6 sport with around 5300 on the clock.
took it for a test drive and it drove smoothly and handled very well. my only concern is that when pulling off (quite hard) in 1st gear the thing sounded like a diesel? once in second gear it went quite and drove like a dream.
Anyone have any ideas what could be up with it?

Kieran
15-01-2006, 11:04 PM
hi guys im hoping someone can help me.
I've had my eye on a 2000 model galant V6 sport with around 5300 on the clock.
took it for a test drive and it drove smoothly and handled very well. my only concern is that when pulling off (quite hard) in 1st gear the thing sounded like a diesel? once in second gear it went quite and drove like a dream.
Anyone have any ideas what could be up with it?

Can you describe the noise a bit more? Was it a 'tick tick tick' noise? Does it do it at idle in neutral, or is it only in gear?

riggidy_bo
15-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Its hard to describe noises but i'll try,
the noise was only audible during accelration in 1st gear and early revs in 2nd gear, after that it sounded like a v6 should (or at least like my mx3 sounds). the noise is like a deisel sounds under heavy acceleration a low rumble?

The Vee
16-01-2006, 01:12 AM
They can be a little growly in that situation, but it may be worth checking exhaust joints which flex under load or even broken exhaust mountings which may cause it to vibrate on the bodywork somewhere. TBH though, without actually hearing it, it would be very hard to say for any certainty.

riggidy_bo
16-01-2006, 09:46 AM
cheers guys, so given that yes you need to hear the noise would you still reccomend me buying the car? i'd say throaty fits the bill when i heard it and it soon disappeared when driving normaly. its got 53000 on the clock and its up at £4995 (obviously it'll need the cam belt doing so im gonna get then to knock the price down). it sure looks sexy in black and inside its pristine, alloys are kerbed quite a bit.

The Vee
16-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Hard one to call mate. Very difficult to actually recommend either way. We all love Galants on this site, but without seeing/hearing it be a brave man to stick his neck out!! At the end of the day it has to be your decision on value, condition etc to you. Where abouts in the country are you? Maybe a local member could assist? Also, does it have warranty etc. Keep us posted :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

riggidy_bo
16-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. im in grimsby (the hole of lincolnshire) .
it does come with a 6 month warranty which they say they'll gladly extend for another 12 months after the 6. the sales guy tried to fob me off saying it probably needed new oil for the gear box but i doubt that would cause such a noise. according to the service book its had its 50k service so surely this would have been done?

Kieran
16-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. im in grimsby (the hole of lincolnshire) .
it does come with a 6 month warranty which they say they'll gladly extend for another 12 months after the 6. the sales guy tried to fob me off saying it probably needed new oil for the gear box but i doubt that would cause such a noise. according to the service book its had its 50k service so surely this would have been done?

Tread carefully - G/box oil should have been done by now. The Manual V6 seems to have a weak input shaft bearing (they don't break but they do get rowdy as they wear), could be that chattering. As Andy says, hard to say without hearing it - There are a couple of peeps in your neck of the woods, they may be able to help.

The Vee
16-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Hmmmmm why did the guy mention gearbox oil? seems he may know something!! As K says, could be a noisy box bearing which may be hidden as the speed increases. But this is only guesswork. Think I'd quiz the guy a little more and see if he thinks there is an issue, and if so would the warranty cover it. You could always have an independent survey done on the car.

riggidy_bo
16-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Cheers for all your help guys , think its time to get it idependently looked at.
I don't think it was a bearing as the noise level actually decreases upon acceleration? i wish i could explain it better but im struggling.

When accelerating off hard in 1st gear there is a loud deisel engine noise like a rummble but once changed into second the noise level decreases to almost nothing and the rummble is gone, there is nothing then but a smooth silent hum of and engine .

Nick Mann
16-01-2006, 10:03 PM
I would pay for an inspection. Just for ease of mind. Also gives you ammo to negotiate with if it turns anything up.

Paul Beazer
17-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Hmm, i would agree with the others, get an independant inspection.

Doesnt sound like an input / output shaft bearing as mine had this and it didnt really quieten down. I ended gettting a brand new box fitted which costs approx £1500 so be wary.

Is your MX3 a 1.8 V6? A mate's had a couple of them, nippy little buggers!