PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing replaced...I am,,,,,annoyed!!

jakester
17-01-2006, 03:43 PM
at a cost of 413 quid to replace the passenger side front hub assembly, which, admittedly was totally bolloxed, I am annoyed at the fact that the car has to go back next Monday to have the drivers side front hub assembly replaced!!!!!, damnit.

Nick Mann
17-01-2006, 08:58 PM
:(

Sounds a bit expensive? Was there a hidden cost?

Paul Beazer
17-01-2006, 10:35 PM
The whole hub assy is only £180 per side. It shouldnt take more than 2 hours per side. Sounds pricy to me!

richy rich
17-01-2006, 10:42 PM
sounds pricy to me as well

get a run down on work done.

jakester
18-01-2006, 12:30 AM
hub was 208 took em 3hrs to swap it over....mitsubishi of Lincoln.

HJM
18-01-2006, 08:09 AM
hub was 208 took em 3hrs to swap it over....mitsubishi of Lincoln.

That's exactly what we paid for the part but we had a local guy fit it and he charged 3 hours labour too - but at £30ph - not Mitsi rates!!

Spirit
18-01-2006, 08:24 AM
I paid less than that for the part but was some time ago on my old VR4 - £150 rings a bell. Fecking expensive mate - they saw you coming, sorry !

In fact here is the thread - cost £142 + vat for the part (Blueprint version) and £30 + vat to fit it ! Total of £203 inc vat

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4647&highlight=wheel+bearing

jakester
18-01-2006, 12:03 PM
they saw you coming, sorry !

:), yeah, no kiddingn, just out of interest, does anybody know what the part number is for the hub assembly that will allow Brembos to be installed on a Pre facelift model, although, it is doubtful that they did me a favour as I still have the standard calipers on it. The part No of the new hub they installed is:

MR455004

Cheers,

Jake

Nick Mann
18-01-2006, 04:33 PM
You need a new hub carrier for the brembos, not a new hub.

Search for hub carrier and yu should get to the bottom of it!

Quad Al
21-01-2006, 08:06 PM
£90 for an after market kit exactly the same koyo bearing. fitted myself.
Jake you've been shafted! :embarasse
Search threads for noisy wheel bearing, it's all there.
Thats whats this forum is all about. /pan .

Wodjno
21-01-2006, 08:50 PM
£90 for an after market kit exactly the same koyo bearing. fitted myself.
Jake you've been shafted! :embarasse
Search threads for noisy wheel bearing, it's all there.
Thats whats this forum is all about. /pan .

Al .. Did you need to get them pressed out
:inquisiti

pezza
22-01-2006, 12:21 AM

Looking at my hubs yup they need to be pressed out... Altho patience and careful use of a mallet plus a couple hours will do the trick as Mo advised me...

I read this thread the other day and it rang warning bells... the strangele enough had some work to do today on the car due to warped discs and rubbing pads ... I needed to get the driveshafts out, but nearside/passenger one had seized and rusted right through. Even abuse from a 20 ton press did not cause it to budge one mm! /grr

Puttin the calipers and disc on, now causes a strange sound, the disc is catching the inside of caliper now :veryangry thing hub maybe damaged.. Also disc guards now rubbing causing loud embarassing noise (even worse than tappet sound)

So it looks like I will be needing driveshaft, bearing/hub ... I may opt for non-mitsu alternative but what about driveshafts for VR4, are there alternatives (will do a quick search again /pan )...

EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED WITH CAR NOW :furious3:

Pezz

psbarham
22-01-2006, 12:32 AM
I read this thread the other day and it rang warning bells... the strangele enough had some work to do today on the car due to warped discs and rubbing pads ... I needed to get the driveshafts out, but nearside/passenger one had seized and rusted right through. Even abuse from a 20 ton press did not cause it to budge one mm! /grr

as daft as it sounds a set of bearing pullers should get the drive shaft out , hook the legs on the drive flange and wind the threaded portion into the centre of the drive shaft , then tighten it up 'til the spanner cuts of the circulation to your fingers and then hit the pullers (where the spanner went) with a big fcuk off hammer then tighten pullers again and repeat until the stubborn bl00dy thing is out :thumbsup:

pezza
22-01-2006, 12:43 AM
as daft as it sounds a set of bearing pullers should get the drive shaft out , hook the legs on the drive flange and wind the threaded portion into the centre of the drive shaft , then tighten it up 'til the spanner cuts of the circulation to your fingers and then hit the pullers (where the spanner went) with a big fcuk off hammer then tighten pullers again and repeat until the stubborn bl00dy thing is out :thumbsup:

Yeh we tried those bearing pullers too with impact gun, (we value the use of our fingers afterwards :D) and it wasnt having it at all!

Hmm 10 y/o car with 140K miles rusted to ******** ... Like someone stated there, had it been manual car shafts would've been removed for clutch change/work.. but being tip not often that driveshaft removed such that it can be copper greased etc....

We all ran away and hid behind a 5.7 supercharged mustang (saleen or sumthing), that happened to be in the workshop, once the press was tightened up but it still did not budge.....

I dont fancy the mitsu mega price tag for the hub assembly :embarasse

BraindG
22-01-2006, 12:44 AM
the way i got mine out, was to leave the bolts half in, stick a socket on em, and smack each one in turn, around and around, squirting wd40 in from time to time.. took ages mind you.. but got there in the end..

pezza
22-01-2006, 12:50 AM
the way i got mine out, was to leave the bolts half in, stick a socket on em, and smack each one in turn, around and around, squirting wd40 in from time to time.. took ages mind you.. but got there in the end..

The hub maybe ok (I hope) but it's getting the s*dding splined driveshaft out..wont budge :bigcry:

BraindG
22-01-2006, 12:53 AM
oh, is this the one from mos? or your one?

pezza
22-01-2006, 12:58 AM
oh, is this the one from mos? or your one?

Its the one on my car... thats prolly never even been removed... :inquisiti

As I cant get it out, will I need to find replacement for hub/bearing/driveshaft?

Bet these are a rare find... :embarasse

Apologies for hijack BTW :lipsrseal

Spirit
22-01-2006, 01:14 AM
AP had exactly the same problem getting mine out when fixing the abs ring - took over an hour and a selection of tools where knackered in the process. They got one off an Evo the next day though to replace it. Was the n/s too and mine has only done 63k !

Wodjno
22-01-2006, 01:26 PM
This don't sound good. /help When my near side bearing was replaced thet had to cut the end of the driveshaft off and then they drilled through the nut and the shaft to replace the split pin on refitting /yes At the time i could not source another outer cv joint and shaft. Mitzy only supply the whole inner and outer together at a price around £700 . Eventually sourced an outer 1 for about Ton from Auto Joint. This could be an option.. cut the end of the shaft off to help get it out and then replace the outer joint /Hmmm

See here for thread on Auto joint http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7524&highlight=auto+joint

pezza
23-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Wodj geeza.. the pic in Petes old thread shows pics HERE (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4647&highlight=wheel+bhe earing)

This shows you how it fits together... So the part you have is just the rear part?

Pete you mentioned AP having problems again with the ABS ring.... Did the part from the EVO include the whole assembly, including bearing and 5 stud hub? What revision of evo was it?

Was looking at THIS (http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b0s597p1119) from camskill....?

If this part fits on VR4 what about the driveshaft???? :inquisiti

pezza
24-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Just another quick question:

Do you think that the hub/bearing between and prefacelift and facelift should be the same (specwise)? Mitsu give them different part numbers but I understand that part numbers could have changed when identical parts were produced by different suppliers..???

The late VR4s shared the same part number for the hub/bearings as the evo's apparently... :inquisiti

Any ideas?

Cheers

Pezz

Quad Al
24-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Wodj , i'm a fully paid up member of the "BIG'OMMER Brigade". Just get mad at it!. The hard bit is the inner races, grind a groove in them and split with good ol' BIG'OMMER and chisel. this'll get it off the centre spindle/hub.

pezza
30-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Righty...

Just received a brand new hub, the mitsu OE genuine part from the facelift VR4 MR334386.

This part also covers the evo 4,5 & 6 and some facelift VR4s MR403970 (154ex VAT from mitsu direct)

as well as the pre facelift VR4 hub MR455004 (214 ex VAT from mitsu direct)

It also covers part numbers MR491037 MR369519 and MB949097. (I think are evo part numbers)

I ordered it from FunkyProducts at 109 GBP item number 3561, which is by far the cheapest I have found the total Hub assembly including the 5 stud plate for the wheels...and its a genuine mistu part :thumbsup:

Thanks to Spirit/PSB/Wodj/Quadal for the info too! :drummer:

Again Jake hope you are not reading this after your recent expenditure :embarasse

psbarham
30-01-2006, 06:08 PM
good find pez , now you just have to get the driveshaft out of the old one without killing it /grr

pezza
30-01-2006, 06:58 PM
good find pez , now you just have to get the driveshaft out of the old one without killing it /grr

I have already given in to the fact I may have to kill it!... if I do chop it in half whats the chances that the end that goes into the CV joint wont budge either? Hopefully the fact its greased and inside a gaitor will help ??? /help

How common is this occurence on these cars? :inquisiti I know Mo has seen this once or twice..

jakester
30-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Again Jake hope you are not reading this after your recent expenditure

I am reading it, and, I am still annoyed :) :)

Still, its good info for others ;)

Wodjno
30-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Cracking find Pez. :thumbsup: As you know my Nearside Shaft was seized on mine when i had the gearbox rebuilt. /yes Seems to be the nearside 1 that is the culprit. /Hmmm Although i will find out soon if my offside one is going to cause any problem. /help

If it comes straight out i will be sending for 1 of those you got and will see if i can get a refund on the bearing i have already to be fitted. /yes Or flog it on Bee Flay :inquisiti

pezza
30-01-2006, 08:18 PM
If it comes straight out i will be sending for 1 of those you got and will see if i can get a refund on the bearing i have already to be fitted. /yes Or flog it on Bee Flay :inquisiti

Good luck in your quest comrade! /yes

Hopefully you wont have any problems... my offside driveshaft posed no problems at all...

Once I get it fitted I will let you know :anxious: