PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Me

ako
17-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I've noticed a bit of a trend with this forum of late - the same questions being asked over, and over, and over... and over.....

Figured maybe we should put up some more, better FAQ / Sticky topics in the tech bit.

For example - Blow off valves.... Yes, you can put a VTA one on your car, yes you can adjust it, no it wont blow up the engine.

Air induction - Colder is better, very simple. Bigger intercooler will NOT harm the car, but it won't be much of an improvement over the stock one (its actually very good) so don't expect huge gains.

Stock ECU - Crap, bin it, holds the car back something fierce. Plenty of options here, just depends on your budget.

Exhausts - Go for a 3" exhaust, none of this "cat back" crap, if possible try and make new downpipes while you're at it. Restriction of any form is your enemy in a turbo car.

Turbo upgrades - There is nothing "off the shelf" or "bolt on" for this car, period. You're going to have to do at the least a bit of fabrication - just deal with that fact. The stock turbos seem to be TD-03's, and capable of flowing up to around 400hp approx.

Fuelling - The stock injectors have enough flow for in theory upwards of 400hp - however your fuel pump doesn't. Upgrade it to a walbro in-tank or similar as soon as possible. And to run those bigger injectors you may want, remember you need a new ECU.

Single vs Twin turbos - So far as I can tell there isn't really anything firmly for or against either. Everyone has their preferences and ideas on what driveability they want, just do us a favour and stop bringing up the topic once every two weeks if your not going to do anything about it :rolleyes4

Clutches - Why people think you need an evo 8 clutch is beyond me. A clutch from a lancer evo 4 onwards will work in your car. How savage a clutch you get will depend on how you drive it, NOT primarily what power you're aiming for. I can guarantee I can kill off a very angry clutch on an otherwise stock car if I drive it like an idiot long enough. Same goes for the reverse - you can make a streetable clutch last in a big power application if you can drive it nicely.

External Wastegates - All they are is a boost control device. They don't GIVE you extra power, and they won't be able to make up for the fact the turbos are undersized from factory.

Nitrous - Brilliant stuff. Don't need to say any more here - despite the fact I get smart about it being "cheating" - it makes the power, so who cares :thumbsup:

Boost control - Ideally use something electronic. The GReddy Profec range, or the apexi AVC-R, or the turbosmart Eboost2 would be my pick of the bunch. Anything cheaper and you may as well just get a manual bleed valve. On a stock car, keep it below 12-13psi.

This is just for starters - I think it'd be very beneficial in terms of getting new members interested, and saving other members a lot of time reading through essentially the same posts every time they come on the site! I'll be getting another TT VR4 once the MR2 sells, I have unfinished business with this model car - especially since now there is TWO people ahead of me on the 1/4 mile leaderboard!

Nick Mann
17-01-2006, 10:01 PM
At the recent committee meeting the subject of FAQ's was discussed and several people have made a good start on writing definitive answers to commonly asked questions.

The info you have put there is good, concise and as far as I can tell accurate. I'm sure it will be useful. Thanks!

KiwiTT
17-01-2006, 10:01 PM
The Committee has agreed that an FAQ is required. Watch this space.

bradc
17-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the post Mark. Will you be buying an 8G VR-4 this time around?

WildCards
17-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Looks good, very informative for a lazy reader like me. I look forward to the FAQ's committee peeps.

ako
18-01-2006, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the post Mark. Will you be buying an 8G VR-4 this time around?

I was just writing that up as a suggestion - I think we need links to pages like www.howstuffworks.com more than anything :inquisiti

Next time round - nope, staying with a 7G VR4 - easier to make much faster.

BraindG
18-01-2006, 03:25 AM
yup, i agree.. as nick, and co already stated, this is something that has been set up.. (faq) but never completed... we have discussed this and will be persued and compelted within a short time frame..

thanks for your input.. it is welcomed. :thumbsup:

AllBeItMine
18-01-2006, 04:53 AM
heres a pet hates of mine.

Tyres
ITS A 4WD - they need to be the same size front and back. you wouldn't put different sizes left to right, so dont put differnet sizes front to back. its got a dif in the centre as well.

OSiRiS
18-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Very good and straight to the point. I liked the part where you pointed out the fact that a blow off valve won't blow up the engine.

:D

ghanda
18-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Some good stuff there!