PDA

View Full Version : change the wheels to 5 stud

strapping young lad
17-01-2006, 11:01 PM
currently my car has 4 stud wheels on it, 15" too

all the wheels i see on t'internet have 5 stud patterns on them :(

how much would it cost me to change mine to 5 stud and what implications i should be aware of?

or

is it worth doing at all?

seems the 15" looks a tad small in the arches.

richy rich
17-01-2006, 11:05 PM
i would say it will cost a lot for not much benefit

to do it you would need to change all 4 hubs and i don't know if that will be possible at all

unless you have the old one modded to take the 5 studs.

zedy1
17-01-2006, 11:30 PM
THIS HAS BEEN DONE

YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE FOLLOWING

ALL FOUR HUBS WITH CARRIERS
REAR DRIVE SHAFT OUTER JOINTS TO BE FITTED TO WORK THE ABS
AND THATS IT

COST FOR PARTS AROUND £300 :embarasse

WILL NEED TO CONFIRM FROM NEXT MAN HOWS HE GETTING ON WITH THE CONVERSION

zedy1
17-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Also All Four Discs

strapping young lad
18-01-2006, 12:50 AM
jesus

and this is before getting alloys and tyres!

my god!

so whats the biggest alloy 4 stud i can get then?

Ollpen
18-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Way bigger than you pathetically big wheel houses can handle :P

Its all about finding it. Buying new should open up many options.

strapping young lad
18-01-2006, 01:02 AM
hmm, any suggestions then?

arent earlier evo wheels 4 stud?

colVR4
18-01-2006, 01:04 AM
There are buckets of 4 stud wheels out there. A good website for research purposes (and fairly cheap as well) is www.rochfordtyres.co.uk

bradc
18-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Lots of places around here sell 4 stud mags. Just call up a place and tell them what you have, i'm sure they will be able to help.

pezza
18-01-2006, 03:02 AM
hmm, any suggestions then?

arent earlier evo wheels 4 stud?

Yup as ppl have said there are a good few 7 x 18s on a 4 studded pattern. If you even stayed at 17 and lowered the car a tad the wheels would fill the arches makin the wheels look like 18s.

When I bought my original V6 wagon it had 19inch 4 studded alloys (rare but they are out there!)

Good luck!

The Vee
18-01-2006, 03:37 AM
There are buckets of 4 stud wheels out there. A good website for research purposes (and fairly cheap as well) is www.rochfordtyres.co.uk

Yep, got mine from here. Wolfrace 17" 4 stud. Nice people too :thumbsup:

bradc
18-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Pezza, out of interest, what size tyres were on those 19's, and do you have any pics of the car?

If you go to my vbgarage you will see both of my cars with 17" mags on them, everyone thinks they are 18" when they first see them.

ritch_w
18-01-2006, 08:58 AM
search ebay for 4 stud wheels with 114.3pcd - there is tons of them - its a very common stud pattern :thumbsup:

Bal
18-01-2006, 09:17 AM
17s lowered looks awesome ... i must get some pics but dont have easy access to a digi camera ...

pezza
18-01-2006, 10:37 AM
17s lowered looks awesome ... i must get some pics but dont have easy access to a digi camera ...

Yes Bal. Looked better than I had imagined it... But I had to go to oxford to see it! When you go to the US get yerself a camera :thumbsup:

Brad the tyres were 235/35s Sat perfectly no rubbing...245 were just about ok with no load and easy driving...255 caught too much but looked pretty nutz tho. :thumbsup:

The arches were cut (by previous owner) on my V6, to enable 8.5 inch wide wheels all round on lowered 40mm springs. Maybe a bit too wide for the front/steering :inquisiti . It did have a nice sturdy feel when driving except at low speeds, where it was a bit too heavy. 8s are about as wide as I would go..

I will have to dig out a pic to show you.. They were 19inch Azev type Ms as seen on saab 9000s I believe.. (K9NG would know :D) Too soft for hard london roads tho :rolleyes4

bradc
18-01-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm running 17x8" EVO7 mags at the moment and with 235/45's they rub quite a bit, I had guessed you were running 215/30/19 or something :) I think I need to get my guards quite seriously rolled.

strapping young lad
18-01-2006, 11:09 AM
if i get bigger alloys the profile of the tyre gets smaller and thus a harder ride?

Ollpen
18-01-2006, 12:16 PM
if i get bigger alloys the profile of the tyre gets smaller and thus a harder ride?

Indeed, the lower the profile the harder the ride. Low profile tyres will require ~3bar pressure.

pezza
18-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Yes, tyres pressures were critical, I had to check them every few days!

but even at the recommended pressure and some, you would still get agonising crashes where it still felt like the rim would hit potholes/concrete. The car was just seemed too heavy for that pressure and tyre profile... 235 40s well, were too big diameter wise and rare as rare things..

The car was lowered on PI springs but I think the shocks needed to be higher spec than the KYBs on it. There were spring inserts to ensure that full spring compression wasnt possible.... all in all. it looked good but it was so much hassle to go through to protect the rims etc... I bought the car like this but within a couple of months the rims were off and sold.. Not only that, I could see hairline cracks on the inside of the rim when the tyres were off = tyres not maintaining pressure etc...

There have been a couple of pix of cars in NZ with 19s or was it even 20? I am guessing they had no shocks, just bricks instead as it looked like there was NO clearance?? :D

SYL.. I found the pre 2000 standard V6 24 suspension extremely soft (maybe it was my car) but it bottomed out a lot... The max I would go for is 17s with 45 profile.. as is standard on most of the post 2001 cars (that all adopted the sport/VR4 bodykit) It is a way bit firmer but still very comfortable .. it doesnt crash and bang when driving...

Once you change that tyre / alloy ratio I find it sometimes looks odd until you lower the car tho. Check out PSBs and Bals (once he takes pix :D) cars they both look superb with 17s and at the height they are..

WildCards
18-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Mine are 4 stud. They are 17x7 or 17x7.5. Got them from www.wheelmania.co.uk - they were only £700 with tyres. See my vbgarage for pics - they have quite a few options for 4 stud.

strapping young lad
18-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Mine are 4 stud. They are 17x7 or 17x7.5. Got them from www.wheelmania.co.uk (http://www.wheelmania.co.uk) - they were only £700 with tyres. See my vbgarage for pics - they have quite a few options for 4 stud.

erm

all i see is a renault scenic?

WildCards
18-01-2006, 03:09 PM
erm

all i see is a renault scenic?

I meant look at the wheels on it, probably wouldn't suit a Galant, but Wheel Mania have others which would.

mitzylongboy
18-01-2006, 05:14 PM
search ebay for 4 stud wheels with 114.3pcd - there is tons of them - its a very common stud pattern :thumbsup:

i have to disagree. they are quite rare. the actual stud pattern for our car is PCD 114.3. offset 35-45. bore 67.1

you will find the only other cars it definately fit are the EVO 1,2 and 3..the carisma, space wagon and thats it!!

the next nearest and only other one is the nissan 200sx BUT the bore is 66.1 not 67.1 so this would have to be drilled and i don't know of anyone that will do that.

i got mine of eBay for £101 + £40 p&p. they are mille millia HT3's and they came with tyres ( pirelli P7000's ).
the reason i got them so cheap is because they don't fit bugger all else!

look for evo 1,2,3 alloys on ebay and they will fit, they will be the most common on there.
i did see a lovely set of "group n" rallying compomtives new, no tyres. they went for just £250. they were superb.

it's definatly worth waiting for a good set rather than mess about with your hubs etc.

Gly
18-01-2006, 07:44 PM
i cant beleive that 4 x 114 wheels are hard to come by!!

here in nz we have quite a bit of choice

mitzylongboy
19-01-2006, 09:14 PM
they're not..exactly... but most are the wrong offset or bore. their are shed loads of 114.3 x 5 but few 114.3 x 4. if you visit www.rochfordtyres.co.uk you will see this. i did lots of research before i tried to bid on them to see what sort of competition i was up against. ford, rovers and vauxhall have similar fitments to say saab, audi or volkswagen etc so the conpetition was greater and the price was going up. the only reason i bought mine and didn't bid much higher was because i needed a pair of tyres for the original alloys and these were nearly cheaper than replacing them!!!
oh i didn't mention i found out the VOLVO V70 or S70 are identical aswell!! giving you much more choice!.... NOT.

strapping young lad
19-01-2006, 11:09 PM
them alloys do look good though mitzilongboy

but i dunno if bright shiny ones will suit the maroon jobby i own

i was told by my boss that darker allous would suit the car better

but he drives a civic sport (99 plate) with 15's too and they look small as well

WildCards
20-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Buy them have have them re coated/painted a darker colour.

ritch_w
22-01-2006, 06:36 PM
got these after a bit of looking

might sell them if anyone is interested??

checking out the fitment guide here http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/fitmentguide.asp throws up a few other cars with the same pcd / bore / fitments as our galants :thumbsup:

pezza
22-01-2006, 08:47 PM

but he drives a civic sport (99 plate) with 15's too and they look small as well

Yep red body with darker wheels does look good with a chrome or polished lip, like ghandas car or like what I had on my prev car HERE (http://www.aquavibe.demon.co.uk/mitz/imagepages/image8.html)

and graphite 17s..

pezza
22-01-2006, 09:31 PM
As Brad asked, these were the 4 studded 19 x 8.5 that I had on my previous car :thumbsup:

mitzylongboy
25-01-2006, 06:32 PM

i do agree. i want to get mine done in anthracite or gun metal grey. a local garage can get all the scuffs out and a dent plus re-spray all of them in any colour for £230 all in.

ritch_w
25-01-2006, 06:37 PM
i do agree. i want to get mine done in anthracite or gun metal grey. a local garage can get all the scuffs out and a dent plus re-spray all of them in any colour for £230 all in.

just to clarify - is that your current standard alloys - or whatever 17" alloys you buy?

Smokinmasta2
09-02-2006, 01:04 PM
You could try this guy
Sells PCD change adapters, wheel spaces ETC

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4601882194&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1