PDA

View Full Version : AWD Viento Legnums - how do they handle?

Robotnik123
18-01-2006, 08:19 AM
I am curious about the handling of Viento spec legnums. Some come equipped with a full VR-4 body kit, all wheel drive, 16 inch 5 stud wheels and all the trappings of a VR-4. How do these cars handle compared to the VR-4 Legnum? My guess is almost the same, or maybe better because of the lighter motor - they have the same suspension as the VR-4 don't they?

Robotnik123
18-01-2006, 08:21 AM
Of course any legnum is pretty much a boat, so handling isn't *that* marvellous compared to some sports cars.

bernmc
18-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Don't know personally, but a lot of the 'wow' factor in VR4 handling comes from the AYC which I don't think the Vientos have. When I was in between ABS sensors and without AYC, the car still handled well, but it was a revelation the first time I went through the fast & twisties when the AYC was working again.

Robotnik123
18-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Don't know personally, but a lot of the 'wow' factor in VR4 handling comes from the AYC which I don't think the Vientos have. When I was in between ABS sensors and without AYC, the car still handled well, but it was a revelation the first time I went through the fast & twisties when the AYC was working again.

Yes AYC is cool. Lighting up all three bars as I often do, gives me a big smile!

Don't think the vientos have AYC, but not all VR-4s have AYC either. I think a non-AYC VR-4 vs AWD Viento on a twisty downhill stretch of road where horsepower doesn't matter so much would be quite interesting...

bradc
18-01-2006, 11:03 AM
My GDI was only 2wd, but it had all the body kit of a facelift VR-4, including the rear wing which didn't come on some facelift type-v vr-4's.

They handle quite differantly, the gdi would simply slow down too fast to be of any use in corners, whereas the VR-4 feels like it is pushing you quite hard from behind, like a rwd car, but it doesn't oversteer easily.

EdmundVR4
18-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I doubt very much the Viento could even come close to handling as well as a VR4. Spring & damper rates & suspension tuning make all the difference & of course there is AYC.

Kenneth
18-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Sorry to be the fly in the ointment...

The AYC might be useful, but to be honest I think you are giving it dues it does not earn.

The 2 biggest differences are:
a) Power
b) Suspension

Other than that they are essentially the same. Sure, there is AYC but it doesn't make as big a difference as you might expect.

I had a 4WD Galant GDI 1800. It was pretty crap, the ride was comfortable but it didnt really corner well.
So I got some after-market suspension for it. After that it handled VERY well. Down side was that it didnt have the power to pull out of corners so you had to enter the corners way hotter and wait for the speed to scrub off by itsself.

Anyway, when I got the VR-4 I swapped the suspension over straight away. I noted that the standard suspension is actually reasonable and a bit chunkier than that on the GDI.

so, if you want to handle well go get some suspension. You don't need AYC for good handling. If you take good lines through corners (at a reasonable speed) you shouldn't get more than 1 bar flicking on then off ocasionally

WildCards
18-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Sorry to be the fly in the ointment...

The AYC might be useful, but to be honest I think you are giving it dues it does not earn.

The 2 biggest differences are:
a) Power
b) Suspension

Other than that they are essentially the same. Sure, there is AYC but it doesn't make as big a difference as you might expect.

I had a 4WD Galant GDI 1800. It was pretty crap, the ride was comfortable but it didnt really corner well.
So I got some after-market suspension for it. After that it handled VERY well. Down side was that it didnt have the power to pull out of corners so you had to enter the corners way hotter and wait for the speed to scrub off by itsself.

Anyway, when I got the VR-4 I swapped the suspension over straight away. I noted that the standard suspension is actially reasonable and a bit chunkier than that on the GDI.

so, if you want to handle well go get some suspension. You don't need AYC for good handling. If you take good lines through corners (at a reasonable speed) you shouldn't get more than 1 bar flicking on then off ocasionally

You don't have a slip diff on the standard cars, so you'll never corner as quickly as in the VR4, and better springs will only firm up the suspension, the whole kaboodle including dampers would be your best bet,

and lose about a tonne in weight /pan

Kenneth
18-01-2006, 09:37 PM
You don't have a slip diff on the standard cars, so you'll never corner as quickly as in the VR4, and better springs will only firm up the suspension, the whole kaboodle including dampers would be your best bet,

and lose about a tonne in weight /pan

my suspension setup is a full coilover system. it doesnt have damper adjustment, but other than that it is complete :thumbsup:

Are you sure the standard cars dont have a LSD? I never found that I could pickup one wheel without the whole lot going.

Sure, you wont corner as fast as a VR-4 but thats not the issue here, the issue is how well they handle full stop. And with decent suspension, they handle VERY well.

IMO everyone is very quick to jump on the AYC band wagon and say how fast and how much grip the VR-4 has. But its 4WD, so of course it has heaps of grip. Not to mention that you have wider and (most likely) better tyres than a standard Galant/Legnum.
For the price difference the VR-4 damn well better handle better!

I think with suspension, strut brace and some decent tyres and brakes you will come close enough to the VR-4 around corners. Sure, you wont pull out of the corners like a VR-4 but if you have your corner speed right you wont need to.

WildCards
18-01-2006, 09:50 PM
For the price difference the VR-4 damn well better handle better!

^^Thats true enough^^

Your right in saying that with the right setup the car will handle well/better, but's that's the case for any car. I don't believe the AYC doesn't add much, as it wouldn't be worth the hassle and weight of having it in the car.
I don't profess to know much about how it works, but surely Mitsu wouldn't use it if it didn't add a fair bit.

Plus you get flashy lights with it, which means it's a must have :thumbsup:

AFAIK the other Galants/Legnums didn't have LSD, but I stand to be corrected. Surprisingly enough not many cars do, in the UK at least.

Kenneth
18-01-2006, 11:20 PM
hehe, cant really say if they have LSD or not... just that I was never able to pick up a wheel... and believe me I did my best with that awesome 1.8L GDI engine :P

As for AYC, I haven't heard it mentioned in racing... and do the rally evos use it? If not, why not?

Sure, it does have its benefits and I wont say it doesn't. however I still don't believe it is any substitute for driving well and taking good lines.

I have seen some diagrams on AYC and SAYC illustrating their use. The diagram is of a corner and it shows you the initial line taken and the AYC and SAYC correction lines (which are better, naturally). This leads me to believe that AYC is a cornering aid which does its best to improve lines by correcting yaw movements. The fact that you can slide the rear end of the car is sufficient proof that the AYC is not magic and you can push it beyond its limits.
Also, if you took perfect lines at the perfect speed for the corner then AYC would have no work to do. Sure that is not often the case but in my mind the better you drive the less useful AYC is.

Of course this may be total bollox as while it is my understanding of AYC I cannot gaurentee my facts are all correct.

I am very cynical about why Mitsi would put them on cars. Money, **** factor in the world of "look at this cool driving aid that makes you drive better!" etc.

If they start using them in racing and show better lap times because of it then I will be converted.
In the mean time, the thought remains that why have no other manufacturers gone this path where other gizmos like active CENTRE differentials are being produced by many now.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

You are totally correct that the right setup will help any car to handle well, and that said my answer to the ACUTAL question asked is this

In standard form the AWD Galant/Legnum handls ok. nothing great but I have deffinatly driven worse. I would give it above average. and as such, simple suspension upgrades will transform the handling and give you something you can have much fun in.

Nick Mann
18-01-2006, 11:38 PM
My guess on AYC not being used on rally cars is simple
1. Added weight.
2. Added complexity
3. High powered Evo's break their AYC so they go LSD.
4. A decent driver doesn't want the car correcting him.

On Tarmac with a competent but not great driver I think AYC is a big aid. You can throw some serious power down going round a corner. Your entry speed is the same as any other Galant, but your exit speed should be higher. AYC does less if you feather the throttle round the corner - so you can't drive the car the same way. On track it is my corner exit speed that gives me a clear advantage over other cars, not my corner entry speed.

Kenneth
18-01-2006, 11:59 PM
My guess on AYC not being used on rally cars is simple
1. Added weight.
2. Added complexity
3. High powered Evo's break their AYC so they go LSD.
4. A decent driver doesn't want the car correcting him.

On Tarmac with a competent but not great driver I think AYC is a big aid. You can throw some serious power down going round a corner. Your entry speed is the same as any other Galant, but your exit speed should be higher. AYC does less if you feather the throttle round the corner - so you can't drive the car the same way. On track it is my corner exit speed that gives me a clear advantage over other cars, not my corner entry speed.

After thought on this, I will concede that for the "competent but not great" driver the AYC is most probably a big aid. In fact I would think that for this class of driver AYC would probably be at its most effective. Eithier side of that and I think the benefit starts to deminish though.