PDA

View Full Version : Best suspension

nzvr4sum
19-01-2006, 02:13 AM
As I don't know a lot about suspension I was wondering what brand I should go for. Tein, D2, Koni or Bilstein? Also I hear coilovers are the way to go. What about shocks, dampers and bushes?

Kenneth
19-01-2006, 02:26 AM
What do you want to use your car for? Suspension setups vary considerably and what you want to do with your car will determine what is best for you.

If you want to lower your car for looks and a bit of handling but keep a fair bit of comfort, then progressive rate lowering springs would be ideal.

On the other hand if you wanted to track your car, coilovers with adjustable height, pre-load, compression and rebound dampening would be your thing.

If you want to drive fast on open roads and are not that worried about a reasonably stiff ride, you can get coilovers without dampening or seperate preload/height adjustment. You will need your car slightly higher off the ground for this also. (this is what I have in mine and am very happy)

once you decide what you want out of your suspension, deciding what brand you go with may be largely decided by how well their products meet your needs and the price at which they do so.

BraindG
19-01-2006, 02:32 AM
don't go to low either, ive got tunabe sustecs on mine.. and i have to watch the roads all the time, cos if i don't i ground the car.. allll the time, its very frustrating, the smallest bump and you ground it.. its fine on roads i know, i move the car into a position i can avoid bumps.. to give you an indication of how low it is now, i cant even reverse off my drive in a straight line, cos if i do i might rip the bumper off my car, i need to come off at a 25 degree angle to prevent this...

lower, although good on track, is very inpracticle for day to day use.

Kenneth
19-01-2006, 02:46 AM
don't go to low either, ive got tunabe sustecs on mine.. and i have to watch the roads all the time, cos if i don't i ground the car.. allll the time, its very frustrating, the smallest bump and you ground it.. its fine on roads i know, i move the car into a position i can avoid bumps.. to give you an indication of how low it is now, i cant even reverse off my drive in a straight line, cos if i do i might rip the bumper off my car, i need to come off at a 25 degree angle to prevent this...

lower, although good on track, is very inpracticle for day to day use.

Are your Tanabe sustecs not height adjustable? Mine are, had the same problem as you so I just upped the height which also upped the pre-load. result was brilliant!

Which reminds me of something... Don't forget that with every height adjustment for whatever reason you will need to do a WHEEL ALIGNMENT! (if you plan on keeping that height for any length of time) otherwise you will not realise the full handling changes and you will destroy your tyres not to mention reduce (if thats possible) your fuel efficiency

BraindG
19-01-2006, 02:48 AM
nope, they not adjustable, i got the cheapy versions. :(

HJM
19-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Very pleased with Bilstein shocks/standard springs (and substantially lowered) set up on my Leggie and have had several comments from trackday passengers as to the impressive cornering abilities :thumbsup:

H

ANTHONY
16-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Very pleased with Bilstein shocks/standard springs (and substantially lowered) set up on my Leggie and have had several comments from trackday passengers as to the impressive cornering abilities :thumbsup:

H
yes i would back that up after a few laps around brands with you

Munta
20-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Bilstein shocks adjustables in mine and i am very happy with they way they handle round corners etc... just waiting for a chance to test them out on a track :)