PDA

View Full Version : help finding a cleaning product?

AllBeItMine
22-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey guys - was wondering if you know of anything that will get the back plastic stuff around the car, like the wing mirror brackets, and the stuff under the window wipers and all the black trim around the windows - to look black again.

i kinda like that black wet look you get from silicone, but dont like the way stuff sticks to it.

you see i cleaned my car the other day, and the black plastic stuff on my car is so faded its making the rest of teh car look like crap.

Nick VR4
22-01-2006, 08:04 PM
I use a product called "Back to Black" its pretty good

Wipe on and then buff it off after a few mins on

Kenneth
22-01-2006, 08:05 PM
could try something like shoe polish... so long as you get a decent surface to buff it should be fine. then wax over it to keep it shiny

Dan_G
22-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I have tried a fair few different products for this.

'Autoglym bumper care'. is what I use now and I can recommend it.

konman
22-01-2006, 08:58 PM
dont know if you can get it but i use armour all, its like a mist spray and briongs black stuff up nicely. but dont put it on anything warm, itll evaporate faster than... something that evaporated really fast :evil2:

psbarham
22-01-2006, 09:09 PM
dont know if you can get it but i use armour all, its like a mist spray and briongs black stuff up nicely. but dont put it on anything warm, itll evaporate faster than... something that evaporated really fast :evil2:
i always used to use it as well until i found that turtle wax do one in their extreme range , its even better and lasts for ages . :thumbsup:
ooh whilst on the subject heres a top tip , use a sponge (the little green ones out of the kitchen will do ) to apply the armour all / turtle wax stuff it really shifts all the deep grime

konman
22-01-2006, 09:13 PM
mean sounds good, ill give that a crack. slightly off subject, have you or anyone else out there ever cut and popished their car? ive got some swirls on the bonnet, almost scratches but not quite. i tried some Kitten step 2 cut and polish but it was too abrasive so will polish clean it up do you think? cause wax sure as ****e doesnt.... (bit frustrated as you can tell) :evil2:

stevec205gti
22-01-2006, 09:48 PM
The autoglym bumper snot is great (all will become clearer when you use it!!!) - it brings the 15 year old bumpers on my 205 back nice and dark

Henkster
22-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi

After using the Bumper stuff use some Autoglym Instant Show Shine works a treat!!!

Henkster

Big Ian
22-01-2006, 10:12 PM
and if all the above fail's...... there's alway's black gloss paint! :rolleyes4

OK!! OK!! ive got me jacket /pan

:smug: i use tyre gel on all my black plastic and it work's well /yes

dreamer
22-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey guys - was wondering if you know of anything that will get the back plastic stuff around the car, like the wing mirror brackets, and the stuff under the window wipers and all the black trim around the windows - to look black again.

you see i cleaned my car the other day, and the black plastic stuff on my car is so faded its making the rest of teh car look like crap.

I have been wondering the same thing. My Roof Rack rails look like arse and need some TLC.
Good Thread.

Thanks.
Jono

Paul Beazer
22-01-2006, 11:59 PM
I used some Autoglym paintwork renovator on my roof rails and that cleaned them up very nicely thank you!

Kieran
23-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Oooh - all these club members talking about cleaning products! :smug: :smug:

The Vee
23-01-2006, 10:29 PM
I used some Autoglym paintwork renovator on my roof rails and that cleaned them up very nicely thank you!

Same on my window frames - then polish. worked a treat :thumbsup:

Wodjno
23-01-2006, 11:27 PM
T Cut does exactly the same.. /yes Followed by polish :happy:

And on the Black plastic stuff, use WD40, /yes and on your interior dash if you like the smell as much as i do..( use only a piece of cloth aroun 3" square at impregnate it with WD40, it just goes on and on and on and it's easy to keep to the small area aswell then without spraying it everywhere it's not needed. ) you'll save a fortune..:smug:

Also use WD40 on the sidewalls of your tyres. /Hmmm Only the side walls mind you /pan

Also good for bring a shine to under bonnet rubber and plastic pipework after it's been degreased /yes

Kieran
24-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Doesn't WD40 attack rubberised compounds?! :inquisiti

Wodjno
24-01-2006, 12:22 AM

I've been using it for 15 years and haven't sucumb to ant problems yet
:inquisiti

Wodjno
24-01-2006, 12:41 AM

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

AllBeItMine
24-01-2006, 01:06 AM
yes - but WD40 doesn't dry. so it collects dust quite quickly...

Wodjno
24-01-2006, 07:32 AM
yes - but WD40 doesn't dry. so it collects dust quite quickly...

Just like most other interior cleaners unless you wipe over them with a cloth after they have been applied. And also means it is protecting aswell as dressing up.
Oh well ..
/Hmmm Each to there own .. :thumbsup:

Pay a fortune for something that is all about packaging, or use something that actually works and that you don't need to justify the price. :inquisiti /Hmmm

Kieran
24-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Pay a fortune for something that is all about packaging, or use something that actually works and that you don't need to justify the price. :inquisiti /Hmmm

Indeed - That's why I use WD40 for loosening bolts and Meguiar's dashboard and trim cleaners to clean my car! :leer:

Wodjno
24-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Indeed - That's why I use WD40 for loosening bolts and Meguiar's dashboard and trim cleaners to clean my car! :leer:

Lik i said
:smug: