PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues! Voltage drop. HELP...

Marcel
23-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi ,

recently i started to have some problems with my VR4 /help

If i turn on the signal light(no matter if its right or left) or pull in a Reverse gear- voltage drops and my turbo timer starts to count down.
It also happens when i accelerate hard and when i put in Drive (because it goes over the R )

I got a new battery- fitted 3 months ago.

Anyone know this problem or.......??

mods in VB Garage .

Thanks for any help,

Markel

mpau009
23-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Not really something i know too much about, but maybe you could try checking that the alternator belt is tight, that all the connections are good etc. I have a volt gauge, which shows around 14v when running, so if yours is less than that, it might be alternator, otherwise some dodgy or shorting wires? Also, is there a chance that the turbo timer might be damaged, an unprotected spike or something... I don't know, but i'm sure the rest will point you in the right direction

BraindG
23-01-2006, 09:31 AM
i had voltage problems, turns out the eye that bolts onto the altenator was loose, and was jumping around, when i finally got it figured out i found out that it must have been loose for quite sometime, it had melted the bolt, and thread with the sparks....

id stick your hand down the back, and check the power cable on the altenator. see if its loose.

Marcel
24-01-2006, 10:07 AM
the turbo timer is not faulty, b ut i will try to check all the connections around alternator and turbo timer harness this weekend.

if the car is running the turbo timer shows also 13,3-14,1 volts , but when i turn on the turn signal light or R gear it drops below 12V and timer starts.

Interesting..... :inquisiti

Markel

dreamer
24-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Just a hunch... perhaps a weak earth connection?

Nick Mann
24-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Could it be a trapped cable in one of the rear light clusters? Some lights are shorting to earth?

nlo
24-01-2006, 05:39 PM
do you get the same readings at the battery when you do tha same test? /Hmmm

Marcel
25-01-2006, 10:03 AM
i will check it out today and let you know.

Markel

BraindG
25-01-2006, 12:10 PM
heres (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10200&page=1&pp=20) a thread with my issues