PDA

View Full Version : All members equal ?

zentac
21-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Will all members be treated equal if they pay their membership. Even if they dont own a VR4 ?

The reason I ask is, as I am one of the guys that run the FTO Owners Club we have a dilema every year....

At Trax we book two exclusive FTO Owners Club track sessions. Where only members are allowed out on the track. What would happen if someone turned up in a shed of a Vauxhall Chevette that was road legal and had booked track time as he was a member of the Owners Club?

Now fortunatly this has never happened to us, weve only had an EVO VI TME and a turbo mx5 turn up and they were committe members anyway.....

So what would you do ?

Bearing in mind that I plan to join as Ive got a VR4 engine in my FTO.....and I might show some of you heavier cars up:)

Spirit
21-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Zentac

These are good points that you have raised. In your case I would welcome seeing you on our stands as you have something still relating to the VR4 in terms of the engine and would be an example to others of what you can do.

I feel the general rule would be for shows/trackdays that first offer of attendance will go to all Club members of course and if someone wanted to bring a non-VR4/Galant/Legnum then it should be brought to the attention of the committee before the member pays for a ticket/track time so a decision can be made on an individual basis. It's the fairest way I feel.

There could be other examples like an occassion where someone has booked track time for his/her VR4 and the day before it breaks down. Rather than waste the track time I would have no issue in them bringing another car - we have to be a little flexible under certain circumstances.

Any more thoughts on this people ?

Kieran
21-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Speaking as a Non VR-4 owner...

As Club VR-4 continues to grow, this problem has the potential to cause real trouble unless nipped in the bud. It's not helped by the fact that there is no UK Galant club other than Club VR-4.

People visit this site for any number of reasons, but those that register probably do so because they either have an interest in the VR-4, or they own one. I think both are important to the club, and both have worthwhile contributions to make.

However, we must remember that Barry and the others set this club up to bring together VR-4 owners and provide a means for them to enjoy theirs and other people's VR-4s. And unless they announce differently, that's where the core of this club will remain, and therefore they rightly have the first refusal.

Then we have Pete's comment of "as you have something still relating to the VR4".... well, I'm sure my GLS bears some relation to the VR-4 in terms of bodywork and interior, etc... I know I'm playing Devil's advocate, but it's something to think about.

All of which makes me think that Pete's idea is probably the fairest way if we're short of space on shows/track days. The reality is that you can't please everyone all of the time. Individuals should be judged on an individual basis, and I feel that the judgement should go beyond what they drive... After all, it is the people who make the club work, not the car. That's just the common denominator between us all.

Kieran

Brind
21-09-2003, 03:08 PM
I think although this site is primarily about the Galant VR-4 and the majority of the people who join this site own a VR-4 or intend to own one or would like one than someone with a Vauxhall Chevette with no intentions of owning a VR-4 isn't very likely to want to tag along with us anyway.
But since we all have the basis of owning a Galant, I reckon if normal Galant owners want to join then they are more than welcome and they can use track time too, after all this club is now open to such cars.
If we have more cars, then book more space.. if non VR-4 owners pay the money they should get to stand next the VR-4's too.
Like Pete says, if a VR-4 has a problem beforehand then a replacement should be allowed on track if that is what they want to do, or pass the opportunity on to someone else.

Those who pay should have a say.

PUDD
22-09-2003, 11:59 AM
:D im also a non-VR4 owner, and i would expect to stand down for a VR-4 as i was willing in the past.but as a person who not is not only interested in the VR-4,i also intend to own one,i would be quiet put out to think i wasnt welcome to join club VR-4.
there is a good bunch here,and with no galant /legnum club available that speaks english,i am very happy to pay a club membership,and still would be happy to stand down for any 8G VR-4.but i would still turn up at any meet/track day,in case of a space,and perhaps get a ride with one of the VR-4s down the track.
i would like to take the opportunity to thank barry and other VR4 managers for welcoming me in to this club:thumb: :bow:
and hope to see u all soon :beerbang:

Spirit
22-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Thats nice comments there Pudd and we all appreciate it mate ! See you at Pod