PDA

View Full Version : squeeling fan belt?

nodding_dino
25-01-2006, 11:24 PM
my neighbours are going to end up hating me soon...leaving for work at 06:30 and the car sounds like a banshee as I leave the driveway!

I'm guessing it's the fan belt, most noticeable for several minutes from start and seems to occur when I start to accelerate. I presume it needs to be tightened, is this something a numpty with few tools can do on their own? If so, does anyone care to offer me any pointers? I've done a search but come up with little...

All help greatly appreciated!

ND

BraindG
26-01-2006, 12:42 AM
youll need a 14mm socket, and a couple extentions..

look down the side of the engine, where the belt is, and youll see a bolt.. just tighten it up.. easy as that :)

nodding_dino
26-01-2006, 12:44 AM
thanks so much...how will I know how much to tighten? Or is it a case of a little at a time until (hopefully) it goes away?

BraindG
26-01-2006, 01:08 AM
till you cant twist it 45 degrees? that should do it..

you might wanna tighten it a bit.. run it for a bit, and tighten it a bit more.. just inccase.

nodding_dino
26-01-2006, 01:12 AM
much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on!

konman
26-01-2006, 02:09 AM
It's not your alternator belt is it?

nodding_dino
26-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't know how to tell! I'll try the fan belt and see what happens...is there any difference in when you would experience the fan belt compared to the alternator belt squeel?

nodding_dino
26-01-2006, 02:03 PM
I've just been looking on tinternet to see if I can find a set of sockets (and extenders) has anyone come across anything thats worth a look at?

WildCards
26-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Keep an eye out at the garage when you fill up. Several places usually have cheap ones for sale which I tend to have and keep in the car. If you want decent stuff, Halfords seem to be reasonable, get something from their professional or expert (i think) range and you'll have some good tools. Should be able to get a nice set for £40.

this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12974&highlight=tools) had as few good ideas.

WildCards
26-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Halfords (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&categoryId=33931&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=33943&top_category=33943&topCategoryId=33958&crumb=33958-31562-33943) Socket Sets

nodding_dino
26-01-2006, 03:33 PM
thanks wildcards, I had a read through the thread over lunch...I'll pop into Halfords on my way home from work tonight and see what they have!

WildCards
26-01-2006, 03:37 PM
No probs, glad to be of use...for once.

nodding_dino
28-01-2006, 03:22 PM
OK, I now have a nice shiny set of sockets from the Halfords Professional range. I bought an extra extension bar too.

So, I just opened up the bonnet and stared blankly at the engine bay for 10 minutes :inquisiti

I can see two belts on the left hand side...the thinner of which I think is the alternator belt and sits furthest out. The thicker one, I presume is the fan belt. It's not immediately obvious where I need to tighten...can anyone help out with some pointers....a photo with a big red arrow or an 'X' markes the spot would be even better!!!

Thanks so much,

nodding 'numpty' dino :D

BraindG
28-01-2006, 03:30 PM
the altenator tensioner is behind the dip stick..
the other belt has to be tightened from under the car..
if you look between the front wheel, and arch, youll see a wheel, under it, is a 14mm bolt.. thats how the tighten that one..

id post a pic, but i left usb cable at home.

psbarham
28-01-2006, 03:40 PM
if you look in the members section there is a load of pdf files one of them is titled engine , that has all the info on how to adjust both belts :thumbsup:

nodding_dino
06-02-2006, 01:16 AM
finally managed to get around to this today...about 1.5 turns (in increments) seemed to cure it and I went back inside the house all puffy chested to boast about my new found mechanics skills to the missus.

Went out later on to get some take away...and guess whats back!!! :(

I'll give it a little more of a tweak, but am wondering if the belt is just too loose?

Wodjno
06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Just a note : You haven't got a Fan Belt. :uhoh: :happy:

Bal
06-02-2006, 11:20 AM
my GLS has this problem, i need to tighten the belt but apart from that some WD40 every now and then everything is ok.

B

nodding_dino
06-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Just a note : You haven't got a Fan Belt. :uhoh: :happy:

sorry wodjno..old habits die hard ;)

Nick Mann
06-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Which one did you tighten? The alternator belt? As Barry said earlier, only one of the belts can be tightened from the top, the other one needs to be tightened from the bottom. Also, push on the belt to check the deflection to see what the tension is like. Maybe you can tell which belt is looser by how much deflection you get?

Don't go stoopid on tightening them up. Too much tension will kill the bearings and rubber mounts on the moving parts.

Paul Beazer
07-02-2006, 10:51 PM
It could just be a worn belt.

Dont forget to undo the locking nut in the middle of the belt tensor, before you adjust the tensioning bolt. You need quite a slim ratchet for the alternator nut, theres not much room in there!

nodding_dino
08-02-2006, 12:16 AM
I tightened the alternator belt, and left enough slack to ensure i could rotate the belt 45degs. It definitely seems better, but without being able to accurately measure the tension, I am not keen on tightening much more.

I will have a go with the power steering/aircon belt over the weekend to see if that makes any difference. If not, I have put a call in to Mitsi for a quote for the replacement of both belts...I already have the forms ready to apply for a second mortgage ;)

Out of curiosity, are there other belts available that will fit, or are they OEM only?

Thanks for the interest all!

BraindG
08-02-2006, 12:23 AM
actually, thinking about it... 45degres is to much.. just keep going till you cant move it all that much.. say 10 or 15 degrees...

also halfrods do some nice cheap belts, ive got them on mine atm.. seem fine, and same texture as the originals...

nodding_dino
08-02-2006, 12:28 AM
thanks braindg! The last thing I want to do is overtighten, but at least this gives me a little more leeway (sp?).

BraindG
08-02-2006, 12:33 AM
having removed, and put my engine back in last week, i ended up removing the powersteering belt, ive tightened it up so much that i can only move it a wee bit.. tighten, run engine, tighten run engine.. till you canonly move it about 10 or so degrees..

Kenneth
08-02-2006, 12:40 AM
havent read any of the posts in this thread, so might be irrelivant

often a squeeling belt is because it is dirty. can be washed with warm water & detergent. the squeeling should be really really loud then until you rinse with HOT water and let dry.

BraindG
08-02-2006, 12:45 AM
havent read any of the posts in this thread, so might be irrelivant

often a squeeling belt is because it is dirty. can be washed with warm water & detergent. the squeeling should be really really loud then until you rinse with HOT water and let dry.

While removing my engine this weekend, i forgot to put the dip stick back in before tipping engine on its side.. a tone of oil (sorry rich) went all over altenator, and belts.. smells a bit, but no squeeking :D

sorry off topic. (sorta)

nodding_dino
14-02-2006, 04:07 PM
just to finish this one off...it seems that the pulley on the alternator tensioner had somehow(?!?!?!) cracked it's sides and was biting into the belt. A new pulley and a tighten up has cured the squeel...the neighbours are talking to me again!

BraindG
15-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Oh, how odd. glad its sorted, and glad the neighbours are talking to you again :p

nodding_dino
15-02-2006, 02:28 PM
thanks BraindG...just the exhaust to sort now!!!