PDA

View Full Version : Not so sweet: Say NO to Liquorice

Brind
21-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Men who eat too much liquorice could risk damaging their sex lives, according to new research.

A research team from Iran have found that liquorice - used in sweets, chewing gum, toothpastes and herbal remedies - can lower testosterone.

Low levels of testosterone affect libido and mood and may increase the risk of sexual problems.

Speaking at the British Pharmaceutical conference in Harrogate, researchers warned men to be aware of the risks posed.

Dr Mahmoud Mosaddegh and colleagues at the Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences based their findings on a study of 20 healthy men.

Each was given 1.3g of dried liquorice root extract daily for a period of 10 days.

The extract contained about 400mg of glycyrrhizic acid, which gives liquorice its distinctive taste. The extract is widely used in herbal remedies to relieve cold, flu and allergy symptoms. It is also alleged to help people with chronic fatigue or ulcers.

It is also found in smaller quantities in confectionery, toothpaste and some herbal teas. Cigarette and drugs manufacturers have used it to improve the taste of their products.

Some chewing gums can contain 24mg of glycyrrhizic acid while some herbal teas can contain up to 450mg per litre.

A report by the European Commission this year suggested that people should not consume any more than 100mg of glycyrrhizic acid a day.

After the 10 days, the researchers took blood samples from the men.

All the men had significantly lower levels of testosterone than would normally be expected.

The findings backs up a previous study published in 1999 that also reported lower testosterone levels in men with a higher intake of liquorice.

However, other studies undertaken have not found any concrete evidence to back up this theory.

Nevertheless, Dr Mosaddegh said men should avoid consuming large amounts of liquorice, in particular liquorice herbal remedies.

"Liquorice root extract is a popular treatment, traditionally used for treatment of gastrointestinal disorders but until further data are available we would advise caution in use of the extract."

But he added: "More research is needed to assess the hormonal effects of liquorice."

:Eek1: :nervous: :nervous: I live on those fizzy laces... :Eek1:

SGHOM
21-09-2003, 06:48 PM
& I've been married for over 20 years, so it dont matter to me !!:Cry1: :Cry1:

Nick VR4
21-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Sounds like a load of O'l toffee to me :D :p