PDA

View Full Version : handbrake warning light...wtf??

jakester
28-01-2006, 08:54 PM
I was just accellerating off a roundabout today...not too hard, but, would have expected a kickdown, instead, the handbrake light came on for 5 seconds or so, then decided to go off again...any ideas???

Ta :)

psbarham
28-01-2006, 08:58 PM
check your brake fluid level :thumbsup:

Kieran
28-01-2006, 10:09 PM
check your brake fluid level :thumbsup:

Yep, exact same thing happened to me the other week. /yes

Wodjno
28-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Yep, exact same thing happened to me the other week. /yes

My Handbrake light has been on for at least 6 months. /yes It started flickering under hard acceleration. Then gradually started coming on more regualar but was always linked to acceleration. /yes Anyway it has now been on constantly for 6 months or more. I am sure it is a faulty connection, summat worked loose that is making the connection constantly, but haven't got round to taking a look yet :embarasse It's definitely not related to brake fluid levels.. /Hmmm I'll get "A Round Tuit" one day. /help

psbarham
28-01-2006, 11:08 PM
My Handbrake light has been on for at least 6 months. /yes It started flickering under hard acceleration. Then gradually started coming on more regualar but was always linked to acceleration. /yes Anyway it has now been on constantly for 6 months or more. I am sure it is a faulty connection, summat worked loose that is making the connection constantly, but haven't got round to taking a look yet :embarasse It's definitely not related to brake fluid levels.. /Hmmm I'll get "A Round Tuit" one day. /help
check the float in the master cyl hasn't got stuck and is giving a funny reading :thumbsup:

Wodjno
28-01-2006, 11:14 PM
check the float in the master cyl hasn't got stuck and is giving a funny reading :thumbsup:

The handbrake light has been on well before i dismantled and rebuilt the master cylinder when i had my brake failure. /yes But i will have a looksee :thumbsup:

psbarham
28-01-2006, 11:22 PM
The handbrake light has been on well before i dismantled and rebuilt the master cylinder when i had my brake failure. /yes But i will have a looksee :thumbsup:
i forgot that you did the M/C , try removing the mummified twix from under the handbrake warning switch :thumbsup:

Kieran
28-01-2006, 11:41 PM
.... try removing the mummified twix from under the handbrake warning switch....

Please tell me that's not true...... :inquisiti :inquisiti

Wodjno
28-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Please tell me that's not true...... :inquisiti :inquisiti
" It's Not True" :inquisiti

IT's a Drifter. :embarasse

SGHOM
29-01-2006, 12:21 AM
my warning light has been on since I fitted the blembo's ? /Hmmm /Hmmm

ghanda
29-01-2006, 12:55 AM
I got that when I went metal on metal at Bedford :D

(The brakes caught fire soon afterwards)

pezza
29-01-2006, 01:16 AM
All of you a nutters LOL /help

Jake I think you have a few things to check by the sounds of things then :inquisiti /Hmmm

jakester
11-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks to all that replied, just so you know, I finally got round to checking/topping up the brake fluid today....hey presto, no more warning light :)

WildCards
27-04-2006, 03:05 PM
hmm, think I need to do this, as my light has started coming on under acceleration. Good 'ole search button :thumbsup:

BraindG
27-04-2006, 03:18 PM
While my front brakes were deadificated I was using my handbrake alot.. for about 40 or so miles.. this cured my handbrake light staying on issue.

Wodjno
27-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Still not been bothered to sort mine out.. /pan Just not enough time in the day /help

No excuse, i know.. :speechles I shall sort mine out this tonight.. :inquisiti Honest

BraindG
27-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Still not been bothered to sort mine out.. /pan Just not enough time in the day /help

No excuse, i know.. :speechles I shall sort mine out this tonight.. :inquisiti Honest
Drive around for a bit, and use it to brake.. will sort it out..

pezza
27-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Drive around for a bit, and use it to brake.. will sort it out..

I refer to the 1st line in my previous post - and I still stick to it!

BraindG
27-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I refer to the 1st line in my previous post - and I still stick to it!
Wah!? it worked for me! :d

Nick Mann
27-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Steve, check the pad thickness before you top up the fluid. Often the reservoir is designed to go from max to min as the pads wear, so a flickering warning light could mean that your pads are getting low. Also remember that if you fill the reservoir and then need to put thicker pads in, you will probably overflow the reservoir when opening the calipers!

WildCards
27-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Nice one Nick, yes my pads are in need of replacing, I have DS2500's ready to go on - I'll do this first. :thumbsup: