PDA

View Full Version : NZ Brake Question

konman
31-01-2006, 02:26 AM
Me again, does anyone have a part number for new pads for the VR4s. not stock pads but something good.. great description that. literally i just wanna walk into repco or wherever and say i would like a set of blah blah blah. wicked cheers.

KiwiTT
31-01-2006, 03:19 AM
Check out these guys

http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/

"For around the five hundred dollar mark, RACEBRAKES 0800BRAKES can set up your existing brake
system to a point where we can guarantee that you will not outdrive your brakes on the road or on the track.
This is what we call a Package 4 upgrade and consists of a front and rear friction and fluid upgrade."

aaron68nz
31-01-2006, 03:59 AM
I got my front pads from here January last year. Under product decription on my bill it says:

34 :Mintex Race
DB 1223 M-1166 Compound

These front pads were $283.50 incl gst. but you are supposed to give them your old pads in exchange. I'm using them on the standard disks. Used the same ones on my old Evo 3.

Kenneth
31-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Me again, does anyone have a part number for new pads for the VR4s. not stock pads but something good.. great description that. literally i just wanna walk into repco or wherever and say i would like a set of blah blah blah. wicked cheers.

Fronts DB1223XL, Rears DB1238XL these are the ferodo excel pads. should be good all round braking. if you are going to track, you probably want the sport version which is a S suffix or some such. (rather that XL)

can get them from super-cheap, though they might have to order them. might be able to get them from repco also.

konman
31-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Great, thanks guys, im off to the shop tomorrow. :evil2:

Kenneth
31-01-2006, 07:19 AM
Great, thanks guys, im off to the shop tomorrow. :evil2:

Oh, and I wet to repco and got some (i was in a hurry to get WOF ok!) silverline plus pads. fronts are DB1223SLP (now hopefully you see a pattern here!) they are $45 for the set. now these cheap and nasty pads give off a lot of brake dust, but I have had em smoking like a chimney after pulling up at over 200km/h. also had them pulling up when GLOWING orange. so, goes to show that it IS the tyres that are more important to stopping eh? anyway, a lot of break dust and probably wont last long if you treat them like i did. never the less, i am impressed with their peformance...

ps REPCO is a acronym... Ripping Every Poor Cu*t Off :rolleyes4

konman
31-01-2006, 08:55 PM
alrighty slightly confused here, so what youre saying is the silverline ones that had heaps of dust were @rse, the XL ones are good (better than the stock ones we have?), and the sport ones are the business but only of you drive hard hard :huh2: ?

Kenneth
31-01-2006, 09:18 PM
alrighty slightly confused here, so what youre saying is the silverline ones that had heaps of dust were @rse, the XL ones are good (better than the stock ones we have?), and the sport ones are the business but only of you drive hard hard :huh2: ?

Sorry for the confusion

the Excel pads are supposed to be good. I drove a car that had them on and thought they held up well. the sport pads are what some of the guys (UK) are using. They track their cars more though, so I am not convinced that most of us would need them.
The difference between the excel pads and the sport pads are that the sport pads dont work quite so well when cold, but most likely they work better when really hot. this is an assumption, not a known fact... so dont take my word for it :P

The silverline plus pads are the ones I have on my car right now. While they produce a lot of brake dust, I find they do actually WORK very well. if you care for your wheels, you would have to clean them fairly regularly with these pads.