PDA

View Full Version : Air Intake / Battery Relocation Q

mpau009
31-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Hi all, iv decided that the only way to get a reliable cold air intake (before the car is moving) is to move the battery and box in the section it occupies. I know a few have done this already, but i can't find any decent pics of whats been done. I was hoping someone would be able to show me few pics of exactly where and how they put the battery in the boot of their wagon. I want to use a plastic battery box, to keep the warrant people happy, so that has to fit as well.

Iv looked at Gly's battery on the right hand side deal, and thats the best iv seen so far, but ideally i would like to keep the carpets looking the same, as well as not interfere too much with access to the spare.

2ndly, if anyone has built a box for that battery space, id be keen to see it, i was thinking of moving the HKS filter over slightly, and feeding an aluminium box with two tubes, one from the stock intake position (probably with the factory plastic bit), and maybe a second from underneath, similar to You See's setup, but with one filter, and enclosed. Iv also thought about taking a feed out of the hole on that side, and down that guard.

Any discussion or advice would be cool. /yes

Gly
31-01-2006, 06:25 AM
well you could always put the box on top of the carpet??

but by law the box has to be bolted to the floor with a metal plate to make the plastic box legal.

also use nothing less than 4ga power cable... i have double insulated welding cable in mine, lager than 4ga, but smaller than 2ga (so somewhere round 3ga)

my box is now on the left, as its a shorter distance to lay the cable..
my amp is now on the right side on a custom brackte i made. (also bolted thru the floor)

im gonna modify the lid on the box to allow better access to the spare, but at this stage its not a problem to just unstrap the lid on the battery box

mpau009
31-01-2006, 07:00 AM
well you could always put the box on top of the carpet??

but by law the box has to be bolted to the floor with a metal plate to make the plastic box legal.

Yeah, i guess i just kind of don't want to compromise, iv already got a sub in the boot, and i bought the wagon to carry stuff like my drum set, and its starting to defeat the purpose if i fill up the boot, cause i can't just unplug the battery.

I was thinking it might be possible to fit it in the centre of the spare, or down the left hand side behind the carpet.

Basically, i'm just trying to find the path of least resistance, for something that will definately work, plus i know that as soon as i take out the spare, i'll need it /pan

If you feel like posting a pic, id be keen to see your latest configuration, to see how its all come together.

Also... (whats does 4ga mean....) i'm assuming thats means big, but i don't want to look like an ass when i go to get some :rolleyes4

AllBeItMine
31-01-2006, 07:09 AM
check out the last few pics here.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12137

oh and my cold air box setup will be for sale shortly as i will need to replace it with a twin air filter config.

so make me a reasonable offer and its yours :-)

bradc
31-01-2006, 07:09 AM
I'm going to get mine put into the spare wheel well, no point in carrying around a space saver, I would never put it onto my car.

Remember that if you do replace the tubing from the turbos to the air filter you will still need to have the MAF somewhere after the join, as well as extend the MAF wires to the new location.

Gly
31-01-2006, 07:27 AM
ga = Guage, basically just the size of the wire. you should get something fairly thick,
otherwise it wont carry current verywell. and make for hard starting.

if you head over to http://forums.nzicemag.co.nz/ you'll be able to get some fairly cheap.

or try a welding supply shop.

i got no picks of my current setup as my boot has had a small makeover and nothing news been carpeted and looks budget lol.

if you need a hand when you come to doing the wiring and such, i can help out if im free.

mpau009
31-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Wow, what a huge thread, took for ever to load... Thats the type of thing i was going for, but i thought maybe to incorporate the stock air intake bit, especially once i change the grill to my other one. A mate of mine is a tig welder for his job so hopefully i can get exactly what i want (he doesn't know it yet :thumbsup: ). I was also looking at the idea of putting in a second skin, that could hold some heat absorbant material, or maybe ice, which could be achieved if the box comes out a bit more.

Brad, i would probably use a hose like in the pics to leave the AFM in the stock position.

ABIM, why did you decide to use the rubber topped open thing? i see you have a vent there, but what do you think about an enclosed box? I was hoping that i might be able to get a bit of a ram air effect going?

mpau009
31-01-2006, 07:33 AM
ga = Guage, basically just the size of the wire. you should get something fairly thick, otherwise it wont carry current verywell. and make for hard starting.
if you head over to http://forums.nzicemag.co.nz/ you'll be able to get some fairly cheap.

Cool, i think it sounds like i'll need to ditch the spare, but i'll have a bit of a think, and see what the UK boys think / have done.

Hopefully i should be able to handle the wiring, but if/when i screw it all up, i'll give you a call:rolleyes4 . Won't be for a couple of weeks yet tho.

bradc
31-01-2006, 07:48 AM
You don't need to ditch the spare, but honestly will you ever need it? Even if you do have a flat tire, there are heaps of people that do mobile tire installs, you can just get a cheap crap tyre to get you around if need be.

mpau009
31-01-2006, 07:55 AM
You don't need to ditch the spare, but honestly will you ever need it? Even if you do have a flat tire, there are heaps of people that do mobile tire installs, you can just get a cheap crap tyre to get you around if need be.

Too true, but i seem to be one of those people that if i change something, i immediately need it. Or it immediately goes wrong.

Also, iv done a couple of road trips, and getting a flat at Cape Reinga or sumthin would suck bigtime.

I think the thing to do, is to go and buy a plastic box, and actually see how difficult it would be to fit it all in there, cause the battery is pretty chunky. If its not too hard, i'll try and keep the spare, even if it takes an extra 10 minutes to get it out.

bradc
31-01-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm scared of getting a flat a week after I remove the spare as well ;)

i3ooyah
31-01-2006, 11:53 AM
carry some tyre weld around. and join the AA :)

heres a few progress pics from my settup
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/I3ooyah/DSCF0014.jpg

of course the airfilter now sits over the top of that hole with a wall blocking the heat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/I3ooyah/DSCF0022.jpg
havnt got a pic of that though, lost my usb cord to the camera

heres the only pic i can find of the battery in the boot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/I3ooyah/nos2.jpg

these are all really old pics but dont skimp on your ColdAirInduction

your welcome to view it if you like, took a whole day and cost about $200 for everything, batt box, 0awg wire, pipe for the new airfilter, airfilter itself, all the misc bits.

those are progress pics, its a lot more pro now :P:P

mpau009
31-01-2006, 07:19 PM
thanks all, iv had a look, and i think losing the spare is more acceptable for me than losing boot space, so thats the go, i had a look last night, and i think i can just move the factory battery box, and bolt it onto the floor, which i assume the warrant people can't argue about, plus in actually measuring the battery its 240mm tall including the terminals, so the size of box i would need will be impossible with the spare. Iv snapped a few pics, and will try and post an article, cause it seems like a really easy (and cheap :thumbsup: ) way to move the battery.

AllBeItMine
31-01-2006, 07:27 PM
ABIM, why did you decide to use the rubber topped open thing? i see you have a vent there, but what do you think about an enclosed box? I was hoping that i might be able to get a bit of a ram air effect going?

the way it works is the vent on the bonnet has air passing over it which creates a low pressure zone inside the box, this then causes air (which is already being rammed in the front) to be further sucked up the ducting that sits behind the front left spotlight, up and over the filter.

the rubber stuff creates a seal against the bonnet and ensures there is no extra transfer of heat. you cant fully enclose it, even if its getting fully rammed in there - because you need a constant flow of cold air going past the filter. If it were enclosed, only air that the engine used would be going in there, and thats just one more place where a vacum is created at high speed and means a little bit more resistance.

also - when i did my battery relocation, i sourced a smaller battery, then took the metal tray with the battery fixings out of the engine bay, cut it down a little and put it inside the box. then i just got a couple of big ass bolts and bolted the tray, through the box and into the car. that left me with the standard battery retaining stuff to use inside the box.

it wasn't going anywhere after that. and yeah, i think i mounted mine in pretty much the same place that Don did. i just cut out a little of the matt so it would fit around it.

Gly
31-01-2006, 07:30 PM
i3ooyah what do you use to cut that hole for the air intake??
its what i plan to do to mine.

i3ooyah
31-01-2006, 10:21 PM
a 4" drill bit, its a big circle with a normal drill piece in the middle so it doesnt waver around. there about $50 you can use it over a weekend if you want.

but my drill is fffdddd, only took about 5mins of cautious drilling but in the end that part of the engine bay is very thin.

OSiRiS
14-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Just did mine.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=14088

mpau009
15-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Lookin good Osiris:afro: , looks like a decent sound setup when its all polished up, you mustv sunk a few $ into it over the last few months..... I can only wish. Can't wait to see it at the meet. (had a bit of a look when i went to get those wheels, but youv changed most of everything since then..)

A bit of a question tho, have you noticed any real diffence from the air feed in terms of response and power? Especially in traffic, or after a long run? I'm still in the planning stage, and keen to hear how its worked out for you? also any suggestions for improving on that design other than cutting that hole under the battery tray?

OSiRiS
15-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Lookin good Osiris:afro: , looks like a decent sound setup when its all polished up, you mustv sunk a few $ into it over the last few months..... I can only wish. Can't wait to see it at the meet. (had a bit of a look when i went to get those wheels, but youv changed most of everything since then..)

The sound setup owes me in excess of $6,000 and that's not including labour, as I've done pretty much everything myself.

It has won many competitions and trophies though so I'm happy with that ;)

A bit of a question tho, have you noticed any real diffence from the air feed in terms of response and power? Especially in traffic, or after a long run? I'm still in the planning stage, and keen to hear how its worked out for you? also any suggestions for improving on that design other than cutting that hole under the battery tray?

I don't really drive the car, at all. LOL. So I can't say I'm afraid :)

mpau009
15-02-2006, 06:01 AM
The sound setup owes me in excess of $6,000 and that's not including labour, as I've done pretty much everything myself.

Wow... thats some serious gear,:5shots: i'm sure we'll hear it before we see it:evilgrin: Whered you go for the blocks and fuses and stuff that you used for the battery move? Iv already got the bits i needed, but don't know any decent stores, and always need stuff like that.

OSiRiS
15-02-2006, 06:05 AM
I've just had them laying around. Most of the stuff I got from the guy that supplies my gear, Erkel @ Eaudio ;)

Kryton
11-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Has anyone done this recently / got any decent pics / worthwhile mod? Can't seem to find any newer info on here & considering giving it a go. Like the look of your job OSiRiS!

Turbo_Steve
12-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Messing with the air intake on the VR4 isn't a simple proposition, Kryton - it depends what you're trying to achieve, and what it is you want to change.

Brief summary here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48827

Kryton
12-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Basically, I intend on installing a better stereo & a computer / carputer in the boot so I would need to add another battery or move the existing one. As this will have to be done, I figured moving it makes sense so at least I can fit an ali air box (which will look better) & if I get a bit extra performance it will be worth it. I know this moght be a bit of a ball ache but can't really think of a better way of doing it other than leaving it all alone but that will be a bit boring - need a project!

Turbo_Steve
12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, as above - you're going to need Evoscan or similar to make sure your new intake is working properly.

Kryton
12-05-2010, 02:17 PM
I am hoping that my mate will be doing most of the work as he has all the equipment & was a Ralliart MasterTech for 10 years. I would rather he plays with that side of things