PDA

View Full Version : F**N Dammit.... GET A VIR

mpau009
01-02-2006, 06:23 AM
A Word of warning, if you are a NZer, you must get a VIR report before buying your VR4.

I am selling my STR Legnum at the moment, i had/have a buyer, and an agreed price, but today i took it in for a full check at VTNZ, and woo hoo, turns out somewhere between getting off the boat, and me paying 12grand+ for it, the odometer was wound 50,000k - hence explaining the problems iv had with brakes, and the gearbox, exhaust.....

$25 and i would have known, and not spent so damm much.

for the record i bought it from Onehunga Motors and Services Ltd, LMVD.

But they are no longer LMVD registered, and the phone doesn't work.

What can i say, iv already bought my new car (frantically checked that this afternoon), and the idea of that * conning me so much, as well as the heartache and bills that followed.... it is simply disgusting, iv never done anything to anyone, makes me want to puke.

So please get the F*N VIR, cause i see hundreds of Legnums rolling off the boat every week, all with reasonable k's, and these people just have no respect for anyone.

That should be top of the list for the Buyers Guide section as well

:embarasse /Fever

Gly
01-02-2006, 07:04 AM
VIR wont show if its been wound back if its a jap import, if it was done prior to being registered in NZ

bradc
01-02-2006, 07:14 AM
That really does suck. Out of curiosity, how did they know it was wound back by 50k? Hope you get it sorted.

If you find out the guys home address, let us all know ;)

mpau009
01-02-2006, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=bradc]That really does suck. Out of curiosity, how did they know it was wound back by 50k? Hope you get it sorted. [QUOTE]

The customs people take a reading, which showed 130k, yet at its first WOF, it was 82000.

There is a chance it was a typo at the border, but 130491 vs 82230 seems a bit odd.

Also the car was registered to some guy not associated with the company.

I'm still goin to report the guy, just in case its happened before.

Gly- i know you can't ever be sure, but the hassles it creates for reselling, as well as the price i paid, it makes a big difference if its on paper in NZ...

Rossco Type-S
01-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Have you searched the companies office website to get details of the company?

The closest to that name I found was:
ONEHUNGA MOTOR SERVICE CENTRE LIMITED which was struck off September last year.

The shareholder/director was Tareq Zaiton, 23 Westney Road, Mangere, Auckland

mpau009
01-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Have you searched the companies office website to get details of the company?

The closest to that name I found was:
ONEHUNGA MOTOR SERVICE CENTRE LIMITED which was struck off September last year.

The shareholder/director was Tareq Ziton, 23 Westney Road, Mangere, Auckland

Thats the one, but the registration doesn't list them as the original owner, just some guy called Mark in mangere?? Even tho my sale and purchase says Onehunga motors...

Also turns out the warrant was 2 months old at the time of purchase, which apparently they can't do.

And yeah i think the company went bust cause the number won't ring, and thats about the time their LMVD status was stopped.

Basically i'll just have to wear it, but i'll make sure theres some questions if he wants to register again. End of the day, the car is still good, and the check says it is all in excellent condition, just a pain after iv spent time and money trying to sell it, only to have to knock back the price.

Still it was my first car, and hopefully iv learnt something. :rolleyes4

bradc
01-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Spontaneous clubvr4 meet at 23 westney drive tomorrow night!

I knew about the warrant thing though, as far as I knew you have to sell a car with a warrant that is less than a month old.

mpau009
01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=bradc]Spontaneous clubvr4 meet at 23 westney drive tomorrow night!QUOTE]

Hmmm... no, i don't want to get blamed for that, and there is always the chance that the dealer got ripped as well, not many people did a VIR check in 2003, and he may well have bought it off the guy whose name is on the reg (told i was the first owner tho). Plus his company has gone bust.

Now that the angry has worn off a bit, i still think i should be able to get enough to make up the difference on my VR4, and while some mags would have been cool, it'll have to wait, not the end of the world tho. (just don't think about the 6+grand in reciepts i have for repairs /help )

Just be warned, for the sake of $25 bucks, i have a car that went from being worth around 9k to barely 7... whether or not half the imports have been wound, these people were stupid enough to leave a trail, which wound up at me :thumbsup:

(not to mention the fact that i thought the cambelt was changed at 95k when it was more like 145..."

bradc
01-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I was just kidding, but something needs to be done about it. You could contact the police.

Your cambelt might have been changed at 100k originally, then when you thought it was at 95k again.

Are you still able to sell the car to the original guy who was going to buy it?

ShadyNZer
01-02-2006, 07:53 PM
where do u get to get a VIR check..i ptolly got ripped off too lol ratsh!t

KiwiTT
01-02-2006, 07:57 PM
A Nasty experience Mpau009. Thanks for posting your experience. Maybe others can learn from it before getting burnt themselves.

Robotnik123
01-02-2006, 08:14 PM
where do u get to get a VIR check..i ptolly got ripped off too lol ratsh!t

From here, either online or phone. Costs $25.
VIR Link (http://www.motorweb.co.nz/public/ )

konman
01-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Have you tried LMVD to see if there are any avenues for recourse, or what about.. what do they call it.. the consumer's advice department.. you know the one. you never know you might be able to get something. Also if you bought the car less than 12 months ago youre covered under the consumer guarantees act, you could claim misleading advertising or whatever its called. if i was you id get on to someone about this. anyway hope it all works out, is a bl@@dy cr@p @rse situation.

mpau009
02-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Have you tried LMVD to see if there are any avenues for recourse, or what about.. what do they call it.. the consumer's advice department.. you know the one. you never know you might be able to get something. Also if you bought the car less than 12 months ago youre covered under the consumer guarantees act, you could claim misleading advertising or whatever its called. if i was you id get on to someone about this. anyway hope it all works out, is a bl@@dy cr@p @rse situation.

Yeah, normally you could go after them, but they used a third party to register the car, so it looks like i bought it privately, also since they are out of business, theres not much point in pursuing it through LMVD, although i plan to warn them, in case he tries to start a new company.

The main thing that frustrates me, is that based soley on 50000 less k's, i paid more, insured it for more, and got stuck with replacing the gearbox and transfer, as well as needing new brakes etc.. which seemed odd on a car under 100k.

I certainly never would have bought a 130k legnum off the boat...

Rossco Type-S
02-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Yeah, normally you could go after them, but they used a third party to register the car, so it looks like i bought it privately, also since they are out of business, theres not much point in pursuing it through LMVD, although i plan to warn them, in case he tries to start a new company.

He does have another company: United Trio Group Limited, don't know what they do though.

doesn't matter if it looks like you brought it privately, surely you can prove you nrought it from the dealer.

The real issue is the fact that the company has been struck off, you can go to the companies office and have the company reinstated and sue them, but the reality is that this would be expensive. Although a complaint to the commerce commission under section 9 of the Fair Trading Act may be an option, in that case the Commerce Commission would prosecute, they have unlimited resources.

mpau009
02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
He does have another company: United Trio Group Limited, don't know what they do though.

doesn't matter if it looks like you brought it privately, surely you can prove you nrought it from the dealer.

A complaint to the commerce commission under section 9 of the Fair Trading Act may be an option, in that case the Commerce Commission would prosecute, they have unlimited resources.

Hmmm.. sounds like a lot of work, I'm definately gonna have to do something, you can't do things like that to people. I think i'll have a read up on my options over the long weekend. I'm not too fussed over the cash, i doubt id ever see it anyway, and the buyer seems still keen, all be it at a much cheaper price.

Do you think it'll matter that i bought the car almost two and a half years ago?

Anyhoo, thanks for the help and advice, hopefuly iv dealt with all my car troubles in one foul swoop, and at least my VR4 seems to be a good one, even tho iv had to get used to driving a manual again :rolleyes4

jaimz
02-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey dudes,
I bought mine from Drivetown in Panmure, and it had been 'certified' as having genuine mileage by a third party.
I'm not sure exactly how much one can trust that sort of thing, but at least an independant company has put their name on the line to certify it, which may mean something at least.
If anyone's interested I can find out the name of the company. Maybe they can offer an independant service so people can check their mileage if they're concerned...

'course if you find out it HAS been wound, there's basically /Handbag all you can do about it - but it might confirm our deny any suspicions

Rossco Type-S
03-02-2006, 05:39 AM
Do you think it'll matter that i bought the car almost two and a half years ago?

For most legal remedies you have 6yrs to enforce - usually that time runs from once the defect is discovered, or ought to have been discovered. Criminal matters generally have no time bar.