PDA

View Full Version : power steering fluid leak found ... (how do i fix)

Bal
03-02-2006, 04:26 PM
i found the leak. basically the tube that feeds teh pump is leaking at the first connector down by the radiotor (sp). i have pics to upload but need to find some webspace, also have pics of the galant lowered to upload now.

basically its the two rubber tubes (one has split by the looks of it), but there is metal crimp/connector/o ring thingy on it. how do i get this off or replace it??

im guessing noones gonna understand what im explaining here until i get a picture up.

B

WildCards
03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Just attach the pics to your post. And the car images can go in your garage. Then we can all have a butchers :thumbsup:

I guess finding the leak is the hardest part. You've just got to fix it now.

Can you not get a new metal crimp from a garage or parts place? Then it's just a case of replacing the spilt pipe.

Sorry I can't be of any real help :embarasse

Bal
03-02-2006, 05:27 PM
its ok i think im being a retard really. im all fluey so didnt spend to much time outside.

how do you attach images to a post, whenever i try and do it it wants alink to a webpage.

WildCards
03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Go Advanced> Scroll down to the 'Manage Attachments' button> browse your puter until you've git the right image> Upload> Submit the post/thread/reply.

jobsagoodun :thumbsup:

Bal
03-02-2006, 05:34 PM
see attachment. this is on the return pipe (can you see the red fluid on the bottom pipe) i think. that metal crimpy thing, need to figure out how to remove that.

Bal
03-02-2006, 05:37 PM
WCards. cheers for the tips

WildCards
03-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Aren't they the ones you squeeze to release?

Someone will shed some light on this Bal, but whatever you do make sure your not going to pi$$ PAS fluid everywhere first.

Kieran
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the tube will be the same as the ATF lines, Bal. Does it look something like the 1st picture here?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95725&postcount=8

If so, You need some 8mm (I think halfords sell it as 7.6mm) reinforced Fuel injection hose. Cut to size and bob's your uncle. As for the clips, you squeeze the three tabs together with a set of pliers. If they're all mangled and horrible, you can destroy them to remove them and then get some good quality jubilee clips to re-secure the pipe. :thumbsup:

SGHOM
03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
squeeze the 2 'prongs' together with a pair of pliers, & slide it off. /yes

If the pipe is long enough, slice the damaged end off with a sharp knife, & re-fit the pipe. [ again using pliers to open up the clip. ] sorted. :thumbsup:

SGHOM
03-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Or wot he said above ! :embarasse :embarasse

Bal
03-02-2006, 05:44 PM
see this is why i paid my subscription. cheers guys.

K yes it is one of those connectors. thanks dude.

the car is p1ss1ng fluid everywhere, there's a turkey tray under the car catching it all at the moment as i could find the keys to the garage.

Big Ian
04-02-2006, 10:13 AM
looky here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8096&highlight=power+steering+leak)

/Hmmm the very same part my mate had to replace on his 2ltr sport, he had to replace the cooler pipe as it had went "porous" his mechanic say's it was to do with a sweating like reaction between the rubber hose, metal pipe and the hose clip??
think the pipe was about £70 new ( :inquisiti i can find out for you on monday?)

Bal
04-02-2006, 11:47 PM
sounds about right.

i just spend all day on the car trying to figure this out and here is what we found.

1. the leak isnt from where i though, this is a solid pipe
2. there is no fluid come from the pipes down to this point i.e. from the pump or the fluid container
3. when you turn the wheel you can here a squirting noise from the radiator area, i think.

how easy is it to get the bumper of the car?

ian please find out for me.

Bal
04-02-2006, 11:52 PM
another thing, flipping ABS light has come on. abs light isnt linked to the power steering, i know that on octavias if the MAF a traction light comes on (somthing like that).

man i cant believe how much this car has suffered solely becuase it's been sat in the cold for a couple of weeks, i feel for her.

finally got all the audio stuff out, spent all day just doing this.

Bal
10-02-2006, 05:10 PM
ian you were right.

n13l pm
11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
looky here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8096&highlight=power+steering+leak)

/Hmmm the very same part my mate had to replace on his 2ltr sport, he had to replace the cooler pipe as it had went "porous" his mechanic say's it was to do with a sweating like reaction between the rubber hose, metal pipe and the hose clip??
think the pipe was about £70 new ( :inquisiti i can find out for you on monday?)

I seem to have a power steering fluid leak on the same pipe connection area :( im going to try have a look today after work to see if it is my metal pipe with a crack or just the rubber hose.

Did you ever find out the cost of the pipe?

hadrian30
15-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I seem to have a power steering fluid leak on the same pipe connection area :( im going to try have a look today after work to see if it is my metal pipe with a crack or just the rubber hose.

Did you ever find out the cost of the pipe?

Hi another newbie on here (great place, informative ;o)) I too suffered from leaking PAS cooler pipies MMC quoted £120 for part then labour/vat on top so took out pipe cutter cut through alloy tubing added a 3" lenght of reinforced hose and jubilee clips and not lost a drop of fluid since :D

Great cars BUT I thought I had a lemon until finding this place as I also suffer from interior clock problems,window fault, noisy lash adjusters etc...:veryangry

Nice car but not impressed with MMC stance on warranty repairs (backlash adjusters? oh it needs an oil change!!!!!! what every 1500 miles GFYs :angry: :shout: Hence after 4 years of full warranty(FSH etc.. from new etc..) booted them into touch:smug:

Funkstar
16-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi another newbie on here (great place, informative ;o)) I too suffered from leaking PAS cooler pipies MMC quoted £120 for part then labour/vat on top so took out pipe cutter cut through alloy tubing added a 3" lenght of reinforced hose and jubilee clips and not lost a drop of fluid since :D

Great cars BUT I thought I had a lemon until finding this place as I also suffer from interior clock problems,window fault, noisy lash adjusters etc...:veryangry

Nice car but not impressed with MMC stance on warranty repairs (backlash adjusters? oh it needs an oil change!!!!!! what every 1500 miles GFYs :angry: :shout: Hence after 4 years of full warranty(FSH etc.. from new etc..) booted them into touch:smug:

I was the same as you mate.Thought I had bought a lemon too, but I did have one major problem that I paid a fair bit to get sorted. Ever since then I have done all other jobs with my own hands, following the top notch info and help from the other members here.

One thing I suggest is upgrading to full member status. The info in the members sections is second to none.

hadrian30
16-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the reply Funkstar, I am considering full membership believe me :)
I have to admit to being totally PI**ED off at MMC, they obviously know the score with regards to all the inherent faults but just wont budge, I have always had a love of all things fast but the Galant HAD turned me off, with all the problems, just another car but now thanks to CVR4 I have seen the light......... :idea2:

Kieran
17-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the reply Funkstar, I am considering full membership believe me :)
I have to admit to being totally PI**ED off at MMC, they obviously know the score with regards to all the inherent faults but just wont budge, I have always had a love of all things fast but the Galant HAD turned me off, with all the problems, just another car but now thanks to CVR4 I have seen the light......... :idea2:

Glad you found us in time! /Welcome

There's a lot of info on here, search around and ask if you get stuck - Soon your Galant will be the apple of your eye again!