PDA

View Full Version : whistling/squaling noise.

coltmotors
04-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi,

i have just aquired a 98/s galant v6 24 auto. While it is a fantastic car and all, there is a very quiet whistling/ticking sound on tickover.
It sounds like its coming from the belts as if they are ever so slightly slipping. this only ever happens on tickover and when the revs rise above 1000 rpm it go's away completely???.
Im taking it in for a timing belt change and full service next week but thought i would ask if anyone had experienced this symptom theirselves??.

One more thing though, i wish i had bought one of these years ago!!! great cars :happy:

Nick Mann
04-02-2006, 03:24 PM
/Wyhy

Can't say as I recognise the noise. At least the belts service will narrow the search, if it doesn't solve the problem.

Enjoy your car and your stay!

coltmotors
04-02-2006, 03:57 PM
/Wyhy

Can't say as I recognise the noise. At least the belts service will narrow the search, if it doesn't solve the problem.

Enjoy your car and your stay!

Yeah, ive actually edited the first post slightly, i went outside and listened with the bonnet up and its defo coming from the belt side but it is more of a ticking/whistling noise rather than high pitched squealing.

As you say though after a cam belt swap it may become more clear.

Kieran
04-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, ive actually edited the first post slightly, i went outside and listened with the bonnet up and its defo coming from the belt side but it is more of a ticking/whistling noise rather than high pitched squealing.

As you say though after a cam belt swap it may become more clear.

I think I know the noise you're on about..... Does it almost sound like a bird chirruping or the sound crickets make in the evening, but quieter? My V6 would occasionally do this, and it was the belts. My VR-4 does it to - readjusting the tension of the power steering belt helped greatly and a quick spray with some silicone belt dressing spray helps too.

coltmotors
04-02-2006, 04:35 PM
I think I know the noise you're on about..... Does it almost sound like a bird chirruping or the sound crickets make in the evening, but quieter? My V6 would occasionally do this, and it was the belts. My VR-4 does it to - readjusting the tension of the power steering belt helped greatly and a quick spray with some silicone belt dressing spray helps too.

Yes!! well done! thats exactly what it sounds like :happy: , ill mention it to the garage when i take it in.

Paul Beazer
04-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Deffo sounds like you have worn alternator / P S belts. Mine was quite loud when i started it up damp first thing. Replacing the drive belts sorted it out.

coltmotors
08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
well,

Picked car up from mmc dealer in dumfries from belts change and service today. Inc vat all in came to £426, which for a main dealer i thought was good.
However, the last owner had "lost" the h-7 headlight bulb holder which the headlight multi plug goes into on the passenger side headlight. A mighty £16 for a new one!! :speechles, a tiny tiny bit of plastic costing this ammount is quite frankly stupid and even the guy on the parts counter was a bit embarrased and apologetic.
Anyway, belt squeal gone now and pulling like a train (does a v6 pull any other way!).

I need a new o/s headlight washer next, and i think ill visit the scrappy for one before the mmc parts counter!! :speechles

Nick Mann
08-02-2006, 10:48 PM
For parts, send a PM to Mo - username on here zedy1.