PDA

View Full Version : Manual boost controller.

Funkstar
05-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Sorry guys, I know this has been covered before but cant find anything that gives me the clear instructions how to fit one.

Have any of you a picture of where exactly one of these fits. Have just fitted my boost gauge that I bought yesterday and wanting to fit the manual boost controller that I have had for a while. Spirit's guide on this in the members section is superb and so well explained that even I managed it with no real drama /pan

The problem is that without a detailed explanation I may, and probably will, end up fitting it wrong and messing up the whole thing.

Thanks in advance,

Deion. :thumbsup:

mpau009
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
These are the threads i used for my electronic boost controller install, there is a good hosing diagram in one of them, which should give you an idea of what needs to go where, just match it up to the engine bay, and you should know the right bits to pull off, and you have to remove a few hoses and things to see the factory wastegate control solenoid, once you find that, it will all make sense.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13053&highlight=boost+controller
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13143&highlight=boost+controller

Funkstar
05-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated. Thing is, I'm still not 100%confident of what I should do. Do I snip and fit the MBC on the pipe shown in pic No.2? Should I remove the solenoid?

Sorry if it sounds daft but I'm not the best when it comes to fiddling with cars and dont want to get it wrong.

mpau009
05-02-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure to be honest, i know wih my electronic controller, it has a replacement solenoid, so i just unplugged that one, and substituted my new one, but i think the manual controllers might just bypass it altogether. My controller came with a wiring diagram, which i just matched to the hose diagram, did it come with anything? The basic idea is that the solenoid controls the amount of pressure that is directed back to hold the wastegates closed, a solenoid does that by moving in and out very quickly, and can be adjusted by a electronic unit, where as the tap directs a set amount of pressure, and bleeds off the rest, i would imagine that if the stock controller was still attached, it would try to limit any increased boost, but as i say, i'm not too sure, hope that helps,

Otherwise, i'm sure someone will be able to put you right. Maybe worth googling it as well.

Funkstar
05-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Mine didn't really come with anything of any use to me. Definately no replacement solanoid. Your picture helps a lot, so thanks again. Will defo google it to see if there is any info there to help. Otherwise will wait for one of the other manual boost controller owners to shed some light on it.

Thanks again.

Funkstar
07-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Bit of a 'bump'.

Anybody out there with one of these manual boost controllers that can help a confused welshman. :dizzy2: /help

Funkstar
08-02-2006, 04:31 PM
I've done it/Banana /Poms :bananadan

After much searching and fiddling, I have managed to fit the mbc. Boost gauge is now showing .8 bar steadily, instead of the .5ish that was showing previously.

What can I say but /JawDroppi and :shocked: .

Throttle response is much sharper, pick up so much smoother and gruntier. And the whistle from the turbos can be heard so much more. Love it.

Cheers mpau009, your help was much appreciated.

Now what next /Hmmm

pezza
08-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I've done it....

What can I say but /JawDroppi and :shocked: .

Throttle response is much sharper, pick up so much smoother and gruntier. And the whistle from the turbos can be heard so much more. Love it.

Yeh its really a huge difference.. If you have a VTA BOV you will also note how much noisier it is too!

Everytime I revert to standard boost my car feels very sluggish in pickup etc..
0.9 / 0.95 and a bit more :D resembles warp factor 9!

NOT THAT I AM ADVISING YOU TO TRY IT I MUST ADD! :2thumbsup

mpau009
08-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Out of interest, did you have to fit the controller in front of the old unit, or did you unplug it? My money was on unplugging the hoses, and moving them onto the tap, but its been bugging me for while... I'm sure it'll come up again at some stage. Maybe you'd feel like writing up a tutorial for the articles section...:book:

Funkstar
08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
After looking at the links you passed onto me, I just read what AllBeItMine posted in the second link and did exactly that.

I snipped the hose with the red end that leads from the black plastic elbow, the one that T's onto both actuators and plumbed it in there. No need to remove anything, just snip and fit. Much easier that I thought it was gonna be. Maybe if I had read it better beforehand..........

Will take a pic tomorrow and post it here for future reference.

OSiRiS
08-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Not a very good pic, but you get the idea :)

Funkstar
08-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Thats the one. Works a treat and fairly easy to get to, not even a 5 minute job once I had got my head around it and built up the confidence to make the snip.

Also followed your instructions Osiris, by fitting the Boost gauge to the plenum.

I believe all in all this is a quick, easy and cheap mod (cost me £45 for both the gauge and boost valve), and the results are amazing. The only time consuming part was running the piping through from the dash to the engine bay for plumbing in the gauge.

OSiRiS
08-02-2006, 11:21 PM
:)

Say thanks to Andy aka ABIM ;)

Funkstar
09-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Installation guide now added to the Members section. Cheers guys. :thumbsup: