PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

cheese
05-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi everybody, I am looking to get me a Legnum VR-4, I am looking at it tomorrow, is there anything I should look for, are there any common problems or does anyone have any advice they share.

Also it has MMCS, is it possible to configure to work in English, the current owner said it can also be used to pick up tv if a special FM band exapander is bought.

I would appreciate all advice given, but I have to log off to wash my car before it gets dark. So please excuss any lack of response for the next hour or so.

thanks

john

SGHOM
05-02-2006, 04:21 PM
bit of bad timing John !! :embarasse

the site will be down for the next few hours for upgrades !! /help

welcome though ! :thumbsup:

cheese
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi SGHOM,

Thanks for welcome, I thought I had done something bad and crashed the site /duh

I would still some advice please if anyone can help, I could be the new owner of a VR-4 by this time tomorrow and I just wanna make sure that I get a good one.

Cheers

John

Spirit
05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi John and welcome to CVR4

Take a good look at our Buyers Guide.....located under the "Resources" button at the top of the page.

With regards to MMCS........simply do a search on MMCS and it should reveal a load of info about it.....but basically no you cannot convert it to English

psbarham
05-02-2006, 10:36 PM
welcome to the club mate , do you have any pictures of the car you are going to look at (autotrader etc) as one of us might know the car , just check the obvious things and read the buyers guide , in fact there may be a member near by that might be able to have a look with you :thumbsup:

cheese
05-02-2006, 10:47 PM
I have a done a search and found a link to MMCS central, but for some reason it won't let me registar as a new user. I'll try again tomorrow, it does look like a good website though.

I have some photos of the new one, the current owner is doing a straight swap with my car,
Here is a brief description...
dec1996 trigger mauve 52500 miles , auto tiptronic , 4wd , abs , traction control, active yaw control, a/c , heated front and rear screens, full unmarked beige leather, mmcs(mitsubishi multimedia centre system ) a touch screen which controls cd changer , air con , radio ,16 inch alloys
All of these have been changed
cambelt , tensioner and idler
water pump
iridium plugs
fuel filter
coolant flush and refill (mobil 1 5yr)
brake fluid dot 4 plus
gearbox flush and refill and filter(12litres dexron 3)
oil and filter(motul 10/40
hks panel filter
ayc and rear diff oils (dex 3 and motul gear oil)
2.5 stainless cat back exhaust
debadged
smoked side indicators

The pictures are small, but thats all i have at the moment

Cheers

John

cheese
05-02-2006, 10:48 PM
One more

psbarham
05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
isn't that mr p's car ? if so i think its a pearler , but as with buying any car , if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't , but like i said i think that particular one is pretty damn good :2thumbsup good luck tommorrow

Nick VR4
05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Welcome... nice looking car

bradc
05-02-2006, 10:55 PM
It sounds like the guy has cared for it quite well, and even the engine bay is nice and clean too. I think psb is right, it looks like it is another members car here.

I made a little video recently on using mmcs, if you do a search you should be able to find it, it would be in the last month or so.

Kieran
05-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Welcome to Club VR-4:happy:

As Derek says, we're in the middle of a forum upgrade (or rather Barry is!), so bear with us if the site 'hiccups' at you over the next few hours.

The car you've listed does sound like MR. Ps. It looks to be a nice one.

The MMCS is not able to be UK converted. I have spent more time than most looking into this, and my car doesn't even have one (but there is one in the cellar!).

richy rich
05-02-2006, 10:56 PM
welcome to the club

looks nice mate

look for any gear box leaks as to change a £10 seal cost £600 at mitsi

plus the best £20 you will spend is become a member.

if you can hold of buying the car and do more research

rich

cheese
05-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks Nick, I hope it is in person,

I don't know the guys forum name but his surname does begin with a P, so maybe it is the same guy.

I previously sold my old front bumper to him last year, :happy:

It does look in mint condition, and the interior looks fantastic.

cheese
05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
He said he has done

"a gearbox flush and refill and filter(12litres dexron 3)"

does mean that everything should be in order in terms of the gearbox?

richy rich
05-02-2006, 11:03 PM
sorry but look your self.....................

cheese
05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
I will look, thanks for the pointer,

And if the deal goes ahead one of the first things I will do is fill in the application form and join the club. I have learnt from previous owners clubs that the information that other owners have is worth a hell of a lot more than the membership fees they charge.

I have to go now the Superbowl is starting and I have to admit I am big fan.

But thanks everyone for the kind words and the advice I will look again in the morning for any other posts.

Cheers everyone./Wyhy

Kieran
05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
He said he has done

"a gearbox flush and refill and filter(12litres dexron 3)"

does mean that everything should be in order in terms of the gearbox?

Probably. Dexron III isn't actually the correct specification fluid (and having recently flushed and changed to the right stuff, I can vouch for the difference it makes), but many members use Dex.III without any major issues.

The fact that it's been flushed though is very welcome news - The VR-4's gearbox is demanding of it's fluid and it does get toasted quite quickly.

mr p
06-02-2006, 12:19 AM
hi guys, yes this is my car and i will be very sad to see it go it is lovely and as with my skyline before it has been looked after bordering on the obsessive .it was originally sold to quail but unfortunately he could'nt get insured . i would just like to add for the short time i've been a member i've found everyone extremlely helpful and found it to be one of the better club forums along with the skyline forum .so thanks to everyone who gave their help and nice comments about my car and when i go to the pod or castle coombe i'll pop over to say hi thanks again kev (mr p)

cheese
06-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey Mr P,

I hope you don't think anything bad about me doing some resaerch on the car, the good news is that everyone said it looked amazing.

Even better is that I have sorted the insurance, and some chocs for you, so I'll see you a bit later on.

:happy:

mr p
06-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Hey Mr P,

I hope you don't think anything bad about me doing some resaerch on the car, the good news is that everyone said it looked amazing.

Even better is that I have sorted the insurance, and some chocs for you, so I'll see you a bit later on.

no problem i would do the same with a car i didnt know much about

WildCards
06-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Cheese, you bought chocs for Mr P?

I think we might need to delete this thread incase a worrying trend is started. :joker:

cheese
06-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Cheese, you bought chocs for Mr P?

I think we might need to delete this thread incase a worrying trend is started. :joker:

Well it is nearly valentines day, only joking, I am using it to sweeten the deal :laugh:

I'll stop with the naff jokes now before /pan

cheese
09-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi all, deal fell through with Mr P, no hard feelings Kev and thanks for taking the time out to come all that way to see me.

Anyways I have a definatley fallen for the VR-4 estate and I really really want one. Is there anyone out there that has one they want to swap with my skyline??

psbarham
09-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Hi all, deal fell through with Mr P, no hard feelings Kev and thanks for taking the time out to come all that way to see me.

Anyways I have a definatley fallen for the VR-4 estate and I really really want one. Is there anyone out there that has one they want to swap with my skyline??
who, how, what, when, where, why ?:speechles

cheese
09-02-2006, 07:18 PM
The skyline is not practical enough for me, I like the performance, and 10% of the time I like the attention, its the other 90% that I don't like.
I fear leaving it anywhere, in case I come back and someone has keyed it. Plus it is pretty low at the front so I can't really drive anywhere where the speed humps are too high, which, where I live, is near enough everywhere.
I saw Mr Ps and thought that is the car for me, space, practicality and speed. Plus I can leave it anywhere and people will think, it's just an estate.

cheese
13-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi all, me again.

I now have a VR-4, thanks to MR P we came to an agreement and I have a beautiful estate.

Thanks guys /Banana/Banana/Banana/Banana/Banana

amsoil
13-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Well done and welcome to the club. Now its time to put you hand in your pocket again and become a full member

cheese
13-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Already downloaded the form will post off tomorrow with the cheque :thumbsup:

Kieran
13-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Well done and welcome to the club. Now its time to put you hand in your pocket again and become a full member

'kin 'ell! And Don doesn't even own a VR-4!:inquisiti :2thumbsup

amsoil
13-02-2006, 11:34 PM
I had put stump up , so....... LOL

Kieran
13-02-2006, 11:36 PM
I had put stump up , so....... LOL

Been worth it for all those new Amsoil converts though eh ;) :scholar:

amsoil
13-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Absolutely

Just thinking about it he can't get the code to get the discount unless he's a member ! :2thumbsup

cheese
15-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Put the cheque and the form in the post today, so roll on membership :thumbsup:

amsoil
15-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Good Man!

cheese
15-02-2006, 09:51 PM

So what kinda of goodies can I look forward to recieving???

amsoil
15-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Looks like discount on Ferodo brake pads, perhaps clutches oh and of course Amsoil products

WildCards
15-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Looks like discount on Ferodo brake pads, perhaps clutches oh and of course Amsoil products

Don't forget a key ring!

cheese
15-02-2006, 10:10 PM
I already have a keyring, got one with the car, but I could always use another one.

Do you get a tax disc holder by any chance, as I need one, and it would save buying one.

KiwiTT
15-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the best Car forum in the world, for the best car in the world.

The information you get at the next level of membership will easily save you enough money to buy a tax disc holder.

cheese
16-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I found my my 200plus tax disc holder so I am sorted now...

So far by just :book: posts on this forum, I have learnt how to change the front fog light bulbs, and I have learnt about the strange heated front windscreen button is all about. Next is to change the side lamp bulbs, from what I have read so far this is going to a most enjoyable job.:2thumbsup

Marcelo
17-02-2006, 04:37 AM
Hello my english is not good, So excuse me if a make mistakes writing. Can anyone tell me the code of the TV tuner, that silver box who goes connected into the navigation system. Please i will be appreciate. my navi code is MR252679

v8killa
17-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Also it has MMCS, is it possible to configure to work in English, the current owner said it can also be used to pick up tv if a special FM band exapander is bought.

Mate - if you get a TV picture from your MMCS, the rest of the club wants to know what "special FM band exapander" you have got, where from and how much.

They all need an fm expander, unless you live in japan, but I have never been able to get a tv picture from my mmcs with my fm expander.

p.s. you will love you new car when you get it.

cheese
17-02-2006, 08:51 AM

Mate - if you get a TV picture from your MMCS, the rest of the club wants to know what "special FM band exapander" you have got, where from and how much.

They all need an fm expander, unless you live in japan, but I have never been able to get a tv picture from my mmcs with my fm expander.

p.s. you will love you new car when you get it.

Hi V8killa, first of all, I was only quoting what I was told, I hadn't even heard of MMCS up until that point, so less mockery please.
I have now learnt a little bit about the MMCS, and I'm sure there are video inputs in the back, so a seperate TV tuner or DVD player can be bought and plugged into the unit to make it play. I haven't had a look myself, but the there is VTR option in TV mode, which I sure is for an AUX device.

P.s thank you, and now I have her and yes I do love her bits

BraindG
17-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Must be the longest newbie thread, like eva! :D

bradc
17-02-2006, 09:19 AM
I use my mmcs as a dvd player, I've got a dvd player plugged into the mmcs box with those video and sound inputs, then you just press vtr and it jumps straight to the dvd player

cheese
17-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Must be the longest newbie thread, like eva! :D

:2thumbsup coooll!!!

cheese
17-02-2006, 01:30 PM
I use my mmcs as a dvd player, I've got a dvd player plugged into the mmcs box with those video and sound inputs, then you just press vtr and it jumps straight to the dvd player

Is it easy to get to the back of the MMCS unit, where did you mount the player??

bradc
17-02-2006, 07:29 PM
You don't need to plug it into the dash, just into the tv tuner. I haven't properly mounted it yet, I just have it sitting in the boot ;) not as messy as in these pictures though.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13642&highlight=commentry

cheese
17-02-2006, 07:38 PM
You don't need to plug it into the dash, just into the tv tuner. I haven't properly mounted it yet, I just have it sitting in the boot ;) not as messy as in these pictures though.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13642&highlight=commentry

hi Bradc
where is the TV tuner?? is the silver box on the left hand side of the boot, in the floor area by the CD changer??

bradc
17-02-2006, 07:52 PM
nope, the box on the left is the sat nav, the silver box on the right in those photos is the tv tuner.

cheese
17-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Oh... I will have to have a look for it then. Cheers Bradc

Marcelo
18-02-2006, 12:31 AM
nope, the box on the left is the sat nav, the silver box on the right in those photos is the tv tuner.

friend can you tell the code of the tv tuner beacuse somebody rob me that piece and i need the code to buy a new one. thanks.

cheese
18-02-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi Bradc I have taken out the little plastic tray on the right hand side of the boot but found nothing. I will continue to search for it, but is there a chance that i don't have one, or could it be somewhere else??

Kieran
18-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Bradc I have taken out the little plastic tray on the right hand side of the boot but found nothing. I will continue to search for it, but is there a chance that i don't have one, or could it be somewhere else??

Yes. Quite often the TV box isn't there- it was an optional accessory in Japan, so it's not guaranteed to be there. Also, unless it's a fresh import, chances are a previous owner or the importer has chucked the box anyway.

cheese
19-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Bummer, :sad3:

cheers Kieran. I will look for an alterate method of hooking up an external video device to the MMCS. With a lot of :book: and a lot of :thinking: I sure I will sort something out.