PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuilds

zedy1
24-09-2003, 10:34 PM
just wondering if the 3.0 gto engine block would fit on our heads INSERT INTO post VALUES (on the car) so we could have them as 3.0tt . and also i assume it would be easier to get hold of forged pistons ect. would this conversion help to increase power

zentac
27-09-2003, 11:33 AM
hmmm interesting Idea, I will ask a friend of mine next time I see him and see what he thinks, hes worked on loads of performance mitsi`s.

zedy1
29-09-2003, 02:59 PM
keep us posted m8

zedy1
18-11-2003, 08:11 PM
done a little research on this

if my head gasket and the bell housing dust cover i have a good chance it will work, i dont know the power gains though. ive also found out that if the ft mivec heads fit on my 6a13 block then that should work too :D

Mante
20-11-2003, 01:56 AM
Not sure on what the cost's of the process is but I have recieved a few recommendations on how to get to 3.0L. Its been said to bore the block from 2.5L up to 2.9 hopefully to 3.0L while retaining a reliable motor. Once that is done the forged internals from 3000gt would be usable.

Does anyone know if the 3.0L block is identical to the 2.5L as far as bolting to the trans?

zedy1
20-11-2003, 09:45 AM
i think if my dust cover fits then i have a good chance, how about the td04 turbos would they fit on the 2.5l block

Mante
20-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by zedy1
how about the td04 turbos would they fit on the 2.5l block

Which td04, doesnt the vr4 come stock with td04 9b??

Mante
06-12-2003, 03:51 AM
Ok, I've made a few calls and can get the 3.0L Mivec motor reasonably quick. Has anyone recieved anymore information regarding this conversion? I would really prefer to have the total package meaning vr4 3.0L Mivec tt. Yes it would mean tapping oil lines to the mivec but it seems worth it.

The main question I have is: Is it true that FTO owners have used our 6a13 with there own tranny? If this rumor is true then making the mivec/6a13tt hybrid can be done.

edit

after readingthe FTO site (http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/300bhp/index.htm) the research done by him really safed time...many thanks! The page states the trans are direct swaps with no problem. This does not give the green light as far as ecu usuage, speaking from personal experience replacing wiring harness isnt fun. With that said Im going to stick to seeing if there are a set of mivec heads that will fit the 6a13 block.

zentac
06-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Yep, the FTO Gearbox does fit the 6A13, glad you liked my research, the engine is in, weve just got to get some pipes made up, and finish the wiring then the car should be on the road soon.

As for the wiring. Ive not actually updated my site yet, however the GPX wiring loom is almost identical the the vr4. Ive used the GPX, wiring loom and vr4 ECU, removed the MIVEC controls and wiring in the turbo bits. There were only a couple of other wires that needed modifying.

Having said that wouldnt it be easier to use the standard vr4 wiring loom and ecu and wire in a mivec controller?

The 6A12 and 6A13 blocks are identical in dimension, as Ive used the engine mounts from a 6A12 to make the 6A13 fit the FTO. So a GPX head should drop straight on.

If you need any more info let me know.

Mante
06-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Yea, that idea hit me when I remembered a prelude owner using a vtec controller on his H22 swap. the 6a12 is the 2L mivec correct? Im curious as to know how the 6a13 got stepped up to 2.5L if the blocks are identical. Or when you ment identical you just ment the layout and not the actual internals. I think I just confused myself heh. anyplace selling a 6a12? or do you still have yours :)

Lastly the 3.0L mivec I assume came out of the GTO?

zedy1
07-12-2003, 12:56 AM
the fto heads do fit onto the 6a13tt block, the only problems is that the head are about 3/4-1 inch taller than the orignals, the 6a13 engine block is 1/2 an inch taller than the the 6a12, with that being the case there are two majr problems firstly the timing belt is smaller and secondly would there be enough clearence under the bonnet. regarding the wiring almost everything looked identical sofar apart from 1 plug from each head of the fto engine. could that be the mivec system

triniVr4
16-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Not sure on what the cost's of the process is but I have recieved a few recommendations on how to get to 3.0L. Its been said to bore the block from 2.5L up to 2.9 hopefully to 3.0L while retaining a reliable motor. Once that is done the forged internals from 3000gt would be usable.

Does anyone know if the 3.0L block is identical to the 2.5L as far as bolting to the trans?

any more inf oas to if the borign of th 2.5 block is a safe option?

Eurospec
18-09-2006, 10:14 AM
The 6G72 block from the GTO is 180 degrees opposed to the one in the Galant and FTO, so even if you could get the 6a12 or 6a13 heads on it, (the block deck and heads are different sizes) the bottom pulley is on the wrong end.
The FTO trans cant match up to the gto block either, but the fto and galant trans will mate to each others block.

I'm not saying its impossible, its just a bucket load of work! It would be easier to put a gto motor and trans straight in, but again that is a lot of work.

If it was me i would go with the option you seem to be talking about, ie an increase of capacity to the 6a13 block. You may be able to get a stroker kit, or make a billet crank to achieve one if funds allow. The 6a12 heads would go on i think, if you could solve the timing belt/deck height issue.

The TD04 turbos etc will go on to the 6a13 if you need them, and that gives you a large range of turbos you can put on. You can get up to a 15g or 13t in the 9b housing, and if space permits you can get up to 19ts on the td04 base.

Cheers,

Ben.

scientist
31-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Reviving the dead..what about the reverse 6G72s from the later model galants?

bradc
31-08-2010, 10:47 PM
From a usdm ea8a it should be possible