PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on carbon bonnet?

avander_be
08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi all,

I need to replace my original bonnet after a minor accident and was thinking about a carbon bonnet since it would save me the paint job...

Are these bonnets going tru MOT ( or whatever you call this in your country)? I read some stories about carbon bonnets heading drivers/passengers after a serious crash... urban legend or something on?

Finally I spotted these guys (http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8036689275&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1) on ebay, anyone did business with them, thoughts on overall quality?

They have another model for the Galant in their shop that is just like the standard one.

TIA

Nick Mann
08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Spirit has a CF bonnet, I think. Also Red? There are a few lads in NZ who have them too, but I haven't seen them close up!

Not heard anything bad except that the dimensions aren't controlled as well as original metal parts.

I personally don't want my car to stand out any more than it does already, but I can see the attractiveness in a well done bodykit.

WildCards
08-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I like them. But agree with Nick, you either keep your car subtle and stealthy, or go the whole hog and have it load and purposeful.

The Vee
08-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Love 'em. Now if I could get one in that style without the small air scoop at the side...................:thinking:

WildCards
08-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Love 'em. Now if I could get one in that style without the small air scoop at the side...................:thinking:

Yeah, the air scoop looks a bit odd. One on both sides or none at all IMO.

Did SGHOM make his bonnet? I know it's not CF but I like the two intakes at the front.

SGHOM
08-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Did SGHOM make his bonnet?.

no.... It came with the car, I just cut the holes in it !! :happy: :5shots:

WildCards
08-02-2006, 10:50 PM
no.... It came with the car, I just cut the holes in it !! :happy: :5shots:

I spose that answer was to be expected /pan

The Vee
08-02-2006, 11:44 PM
I spose that answer was to be expected /pan

Had to laugh but, yes indeed. Wonder though if there is a way of doing something like SGHOM's but with the evo style vent

WildCards
09-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Not on CF. But you can buy the EVO vent and fit it like BDA did his. Then you just cut it at the front like Sarcastic Grey Haired Old Man has.

The Vee
09-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Not on CF. But you can buy the EVO vent and fit it like BDA did his. Then you just cut it at the front like Sarcastic Grey Haired Old Man has.

Yes Yes, that's what I'm on about, fitting it to mine. Any links to the kit? (evo style vent that is)

WildCards
09-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Yes Yes, that's what I'm on about, fitting it to mine. Any links to the kit? (evo style vent that is)

Try these

STX Styling (http://www.stxstyling.co.uk/StxStyling/Cars/showit.php?pnum=2256)

£45 from Essex Racing (http://www.essexracing.com/index.php?cPath=21_49)

If you get J-Tuner. Have a look in the last half and you'll see a directory. Search through the bodykit suppliers for all the choices.

Hope this helps

Steve

The Vee
09-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Hope this helps

Steve

Yes it does - cheers matey:2thumbsup

WildCards
09-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Yes it does - cheers matey:2thumbsup

Let me know how you get on. Interesting to see the results.

The Vee
09-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah no probs. Just another job on the list!!!!! Watch this space, 2008 is looking good/pan

avander_be
09-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Some Mitsu bonnets here (http://www.jt-autoparts.de/kategorie.aspx?kat=2466)...

I really fancy the GSH-1109CO-A

bradc
09-02-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm going to get two intakes installed into mine, one on each side. If that can't be done evenly then I will get mine filled in.

WildCards
09-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Did anyone find whether these bonnets help keep the engine cooler or not? I've read loads on here about how various vents are useless and just for aesthetics, just wondered what the final say was?

bradc
09-02-2006, 11:01 AM
My one is really good for letting heat come out, the vent is just above the front turbo and you can really see the heat waves coming out when driving, it is really amazing.

WildCards
09-02-2006, 11:18 AM
What about the rear turbo, any decent vents for that? Any sort of vents that will draw air in and then push it out the back as your driving? So the whole engine bay gets a breeze.

bradc
09-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I had thought about getting a wrx style scoop, but to mount it around the other way, so that air is directed out of the bonnet. According to a few people around here though, it will suck air in at high speed, which isn't what I want.