PDA

View Full Version : Racelogic TCL + NOS

zentac
08-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Ive got the age old dilema of having too much power at low revs and not enough at high.... At the moment I lauch with 0.6bar boost and increase to 1.2bar, then when almost at the top of 2nd gear and traction isn`t too much of an issue I hit the nos and turn TCL off before changing into 3rd.
Ive just about mastered the technique but its so easy to mess up and when your talking 10ths of seconds on the 1/4 mile its a pain. So Ive had a chat with Racelogic and heres what they say...

The system knows which level of slip to apply (wet-dry-10%-15%-20%-OFF) from a voltage output it receives from the controller. The voltage range is 0 to +5V, with 5V being the Wet setting and GND being OFF. If you can hook up a circuit which sends the system to GND, then you'll be able to turn off TC as soon as you inject the NOS. This could be rigged up completely automatically, so that the NOS system turns TC off for you, but reinstates it as soon as it disengages.

This can also be done the other way around. Pin 4 on the diagnostic lead is a Control Line, which as default is at GND. During a traction event this goes to +5V, so could be used to turn off the NOS in the event of TC cutting in.

from that I think the 2nd option is the better, in that if TCL is activated then nos wont engage.... now my only problem is how to achive this. Im currently running a TPS set about 80% throttle, so was wondering if 5v was enough to run the TPS and if it would react quick enough to engage/disengage when TCL activates/de-activates.

Failing that Im open to suggestions.....

(Engines and car wiring I can do, electronics aint my strong point!)

Nick Mann
09-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Could you get a relay to switch at 5v? Then the relay would be able to switch your 12v circuit. Or do you need a varying output rather than a switch?

Louis
09-02-2006, 05:14 PM
How sudden does the nitrous kik back in?, if you are on nitrous and the tcl is activated (and) the nitrous cuts out, does it kik straight back in as soon as the TCL de-activates?, I would be tempted to have a kind of progressive controler so the nitrous isn't just on/off/on/off. as you may find that when the tcl comes on and the nitrous goes off, as soon as the TCL goes off the nitrous comes back on and the TCL comes back on. You may find it very stop / start with the nitrous and the TCL.
Are you using a progressive controller?, ( you can build the nitrous up from 20% (or whatever) to full power over a set time, I used to use one for getting off the line without too much wheel spin (on another car that didn't have TCL), main probs I had with nitrous was the sudden ON, as this caused half shafts to twist, I wouldn't like the idea of foot on the floor accelerating and (basicaly) switching the gas on and off and on and off, might damage something. What about using your suggestion 2 with a progressive controller, to feed the n20 in gradually to combat the tcl. cheers Good luck

zentac
09-02-2006, 10:41 PM
no progressive at the moment, but thats not a bad idea.

Louis
09-02-2006, 11:54 PM
It certainly worked for me, I used to have a microswitch on the throttle and the n20 only came on when I was on full throttle, but it came on very fierce, (twisted 5! drivers side rear half shafts). This was basically after uprating the whole drive train, I was getting lots of wheelspin, I started using slicks, they definitely worked, but the next weakest thing was the half shafts, (always the drivers side), puting in the progressive controller solved the problem, by feeding in the power progressively. The more expensive ones allow you to alter the parameters for each gear.