PDA

View Full Version : Petrol increase announced :(

Nick VR4
25-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Fuel duty will rise by 1.28p a litre from 1 October, the Treasury has confirmed.

The increase, which will add five pence a gallon to petrol and diesel prices, is in line with inflation, it said.

But motoring organisation the AA called it an "appalling state of affairs" for drivers.

The increase in duty was announced in the Budget in April but its implementation was postponed for six months because of uncertainty in the world oil market.

Unf&*king believable :Cry1: :mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3138242.stm

Kieran
25-09-2003, 06:44 PM
:grr: :Scream1: :gun2: :mad2: :soapbox:

I was going to kick off a thread on exactly the same subject Nick.

Tony "Dick Turpin" blair and his fellow government band of highway robbers have bloody short memories!!:mad:

Brind
25-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Tossers! :mad:

High fuel prices is one of the main reasons why there is so much inflation! if you have to pay more for fuel you need to charge more for your services.. not the other bloody way around.

Roadrunner
25-09-2003, 08:44 PM
I'm as peed off as the next man at the price of fuel in this country, but keep a sense of perspective, eh? 1.28p a litre is about a 1½% rise. I just filled up today with Optimax at 80.9p a litre INSERT INTO post VALUES (£3.68 a gallon) so, fom next week, it'll be £3.73 a gallon. Wow. At about 3 tankfuls a week, that's an extra £1.50 a week. Not worth getting upset about, IMHO. If the price of petrol bothered any of us, we wouldn't be driving VR-4s! :p :cool: :D

PUDD
25-09-2003, 10:25 PM
:)arrrrrrr its only a few extra pence out of my beer money for santa pod lol................. :Cry1:

Kieran
25-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Point taken, BUT...

Think for a moment of other fuel users, such as haulage companies. That's where even a small price hike will hurt. Imagine trying to run a fleet of, say 10 heavy trucks, each packing a 7.2 litre diesel six! With the amount of fuel they gobble, a few pence rise at the pumps means many pounds more expense!

Another point... £1.50 a week, ok, it doesn't sound much. But that's nearly an extra £10 a month to run your car. Think about it - an extra £120ish a year - for just a penny and a half's raise... How many few extra pennies here and there do you want to pay?....

I do feel that we get a bum deal on fuel here. Car engines are very clean these days, especially when compared to rail and air transport... I think these are in more need of taxesINSERT INTO post VALUES (if one must) because they pollute.... Witness the bloody great freight locos that belch out clouds of grot, and aeroplanes?! I know you can't 'cat' them, but they're very inefficient! Surely the taxation should be levied there these days?

We do need to find a solution to mounting traffic and the depletion of the Earth's natural resources, and I think people do need to be weaned off of the petrol engined car INSERT INTO post VALUES (to some degree) and onto alternatives, but we're not in a situation where there are any practicable, accessible, efficient and realistic alternatives that are suitable for the masses at the moment. By all means, let's work some out, but in the meantime, taxing people via petrol duty, congestion charging, etc, etc until they kick off with strikes doesn't help!

SGHOM
25-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by PUDD
:)arrrrrrr its only a few extra pence out of my beer money for santa pod lol................. :Cry1: quite right pudd ! people are always ready to "jump on the band wagon " over fuel prices, but I ai'nt seen anyone boycotting pubs over £18 a gallon beer !! :D :D

Brind
25-09-2003, 10:51 PM
It was only time before Kieran would crack. :)

PUDD
25-09-2003, 10:51 PM
:eek: kieran!......plz dont go all eco on me m8 lol.
I have the same sentiments,but all governments do this sort of thing lol:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

SGHOM
25-09-2003, 10:59 PM
perhaps we should follow Singapores idea !!! no pollution, no congestion !! but.......... £30K for a driving licence !!!:D :D

Kieran
25-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Brind
It was only time before Kieran would crack. :)

Somewhere in deepest, darkest Nottinghamshire....

"Quick! He's still gibbering! Give him another shot of Valium!!!"

:D:D:D

Hmm... A comment like H7's was sure to set me off!
:mad:Hang on...........

Beer is HOW MUCH a gallon??!?!!?!?!
:D:D

Spirit
26-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Good points made all round - to sum up we live in rip off Britain - guess we can't complain too much when you look at places like Iraq, Africa etc with wars, disease and starvation a darn site more important than petrol.

jtfleming
26-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Kieran

Another point... £1.50 a week, ok, it doesn't sound much. But that's nearly an extra £10 a month to run your car. Think about it - an extra £120ish a year - for just a penny and a half's raise... How many few extra pennies here and there do you want to pay?....

Good points, not many people realise how much it adds up over a year. Imagine if your employer gave you everybody a pay cut, then I'm sure you would all complain!!!:flamer1: :ninja: :ninja: :scelp: :yakyak: :soapbox: :soapbox:

Roadrunner
26-09-2003, 08:06 AM
Sorry, Kieran, didn't mean to raise your blood pressure ;) My problem is I'm too long in the tooth to care these days. If I cared enough, I'd be a politician and try to do something about it. But I don't, so I'm not. If you want to try to make a difference, the Association of British Drivers would be delighted to hear from you - contact them here (http://www.abd.org.uk).

Count to ten ... then hit me! :D

Cheers,
Brian