PDA

View Full Version : air of smugness

psbarham
09-02-2006, 09:13 PM
today i had yet another skiving day , oops i mean training day at huntingdon , so out of curiosity i filled up last night and headed off home , 30 odd miles cross country down what can only be described as farm tracks with a bit of black here and there , then this morning back down the same roads and then a 15 mile motorway drive had 6 hours sleep or training as anglian water like to call it and then back down the 15 miles of motorway to the same garage as lastnight 96 miles all told , so i filled her back to the brim total petrol used
10.06 litres http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/images/smilies/smug.gifhttp://www.clubvr4.com/forum/images/smilies/smug.gif and before anybody asks no it wasn't towed half way there either http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

I-S
09-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Not buying that.

43 mpg in a V6 auto.... nope.

psbarham
09-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Not buying that.

43 mpg in a V6 auto.... nope.
tough thats what it was the petrol pump must have been lying and gave me 5 litres more (very doubtful ) or the speedo must be reading 15 mph fast , which i find strange as the gps must be wrong as well , all i did was drive sensibly and kept the vacuum gauge reading in the green , pay me the petrol and i will do it again to prove it

psbarham
09-02-2006, 10:50 PM
sorry my mistake it cost 10.08 quid for 11.22 litres / 2.5 gallons ish /39 mpg

richy rich
09-02-2006, 10:53 PM
sorry my mistake it cost 10.08 quid for 11.22 litres / 2.5 gallons ish /39 mpg
/pan /pan /pan /pan /help

I-S
09-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I might buy that.... it really must be VERY flat where you live...

strapping young lad
09-02-2006, 11:37 PM
no climate control on?

that sucks juice too

ghanda
09-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Sorry, what's there to be smug about? :)

Kieran
10-02-2006, 12:11 AM
I might buy that.... it really must be VERY flat where you live...

I can believe 39mpg quite easily. My GLS managed 42 on a journey to Croydon, along the motorway stretch. Set cruise to 60 and didn't budge all the way. Amazing and never repeated!

Given that the V6 has largely comparable consumption figures, I think 39 is a possibility.

/Did I mention at the 1/2 tank calculation, our Golf's managed 47ish mpg?:2thumbsup

bernmc
10-02-2006, 12:18 AM
pfft. Mine does that just standing on the drive.

bradc
10-02-2006, 07:23 AM
I could have done that with about 14-15 litres in the VR-4 :)

HJM
10-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Paul - you're missing the point /pan

Buy a VR4 and be happy :happy:

H

AllBeItMine
10-02-2006, 09:20 AM
why is MPG such a big thing? i know fuel is expensive. but if you were worried about mileage you wouldn't have bought the car.

Bal
10-02-2006, 09:29 AM
why is MPG such a big thing? i know fuel is expensive. but if you were worried about mileage you wouldn't have bought the car.

i bought the car cos i love the looks, its a silent sleeper. unfortunately i do care about fuel consumption but i also love the car to much.

B

ghanda
10-02-2006, 10:17 AM
...Then it's one of the other.
Hey Bal - you could always try an LPG conversion...

Kieran
10-02-2006, 11:16 AM

Err... I think a lot of people do. Fuel is cripplingly expensive over here, so we like to get as much MPG as possible. I think the VR-4's appetite for fuel also catches a lot of people out.

WildCards
10-02-2006, 11:20 AM
It's a case of fuel vs fun. Fun doesn't always win unfortunately.

At nearly £1 per litre for Optimax, that equates to just over $2.5 NZD. What do you guys pay for 98 RON fuel?

psbarham
10-02-2006, 07:37 PM
i'm worried about fuel at the mo because i have been without income for 3 months and am fecking skint , as far as i am concered the money is better spent on feeding my 2 kids than mr shells £100s an minute profit habit , once my finacile situation is back to normal then it'll be back to 25 mpg in no time at all :evilgrin:

Nick VR4
10-02-2006, 08:02 PM
It's a case of fuel vs fun. Fun doesn't always win unfortunately.

At nearly £1 per litre for Optimax, that equates to just over $2.5 NZD. What do you guys pay for 98 RON fuel?

I reckon under $1.50 NZD :thinking:

Kieran
10-02-2006, 08:06 PM
i'm worried about fuel at the mo because i have been without income for 3 months and am fecking skint , as far as i am concered the money is better spent on feeding my 2 kids than mr shells £100s an minute profit habit , once my finacile situation is back to normal then it'll be back to 25 mpg in no time at all :evilgrin:

Exactly.

Yeah okay, you don't buy any Galant for it's great MPG (you buy a diesel Golf;)). But I think it's unfair to keep asking 'what's the point'. I actually find it quite interesting to see the wide, wide variation in fuel consumption. Obviously it's not possible, but I wonder what would happen if a 'bad' and a 'good' galant/legnum were given to the same driver - it would be interesting to see how much of it is the car, and how much is the nut behind the wheel! /Steeringw

bradc
10-02-2006, 08:26 PM
At the moment 91 is about $1.40 and 98 is about $1.55, so it is a lot cheaper over here. I wouldn't be able to afford paying $2.50 for it, my fuel bill would be huge!

AllBeItMine
10-02-2006, 09:41 PM
At the moment 91 is about $1.40 and 98 is about $1.55, so it is a lot cheaper over here. I wouldn't be able to afford paying $2.50 for it, my fuel bill would be huge!

its not cheaper - its the same.

sure the pound is worth more than the NZD - but you have to remember that the average wage/salary in NZD for doing the same job = the same in pounds!

so if i earn 60k a year in NZD, i would earn 60k a year in POUNDS doing essentially the same job.

and it pretty much carries through to all the costs of living etc.

geez people its like buying a pool for your backyard but not wanting to fill it full of water... you KNEW THE POOL WOULD NEED WATER!

psbarham
10-02-2006, 09:46 PM
geez people its like buying a pool for your backyard but not wanting to fill it full of water... you KNEW THE POOL WOULD NEED WATER!
i'm not complaining about the amount of fuel the car can use , its just things are a bit tight at the mo , if you were in the same situation would you drive at 100+ every where and starve your 2 kids so you can get to work 5 minutes quicker? or go a bit slower , feed your kids and leave the house 5 mins sooner ?

AllBeItMine
10-02-2006, 09:56 PM
i'm not complaining about the amount of fuel the car can use , its just things are a bit tight at the mo , if you were in the same situation would you drive at 100+ every where and starve your 2 kids so you can get to work 5 minutes quicker? or go a bit slower , feed your kids and leave the house 5 mins sooner ?

if i were in that situation i would sell the car - buy something cheaper that was more economical to run... oh wait... i DID!

if your not in the position to enjoy luxuries, you should definitely not be putting them above necesities.

Wodjno
10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
if i were in that situation i would sell the car - buy something cheaper that was .

if your not in the position to enjoy luxuries, you should definitely not be putting them above necesities.

I agree with the above, but also with Paul. Pauls prob is short term as he has just started a New career and has to work a month in advance(i Think) and was 3 months between Jobs. So i don't see the point of selling the car. If it was a long term situation then Yes sell the car and think Paul will agree.
But in my situation, i never bothered really Tooting up the ammount of Fuel i was using a Month until around a month ago. I used to just go wherever, whenever as fast as ever. Last Month due to a Thread on here about fuel consumption i added up what i use . And AFAIR i used near on £600 in 7 weeks. :inquisiti It scared the Shoite outta me.. What a lot of wasted money. Theres enjoying yourself and theres being silly. None of this Money was Spent on Really Nescessary journeys. Just Blatting for my own amusement. After reading this post i Added up my last 4 weeks Fuel between the VR4 and the GDi. The Total was :thinking:

£185 :2thumbsup

A Little better i think.

It doesn't mean that i haven't been enjoying myself or that certain journeys have notbeen taken in the car due to trying to save money. It means i have been choosing the right car to to go on certain journeys. Like the 2-3 times a month i have to drive the 102mile round trip to work i take the GDi insted of the VR4.
If you got the money to spend on Blatting then do it. But i think my situation was getting a bit silly. /pan

And of course i am going to be spending a £ OR 7 on fuel soon when i visit the ring. :happy:

psbarham
10-02-2006, 10:37 PM
if i were in that situation i would sell the car - buy something cheaper that was more economical to run... oh wait... i DID!

if your not in the position to enjoy luxuries, you should definitely not be putting them above necessities.
like glen said in the post above , my situation was short term , why sell a very reliable known car that does 30 - 36 mpg average for 2500 quid if the markets right to buy a slightly cheaper crappier car possibly not so reliable car for half that amount and then only does 40 mpg its just not worth it , and at the moment I'm getting paid for mileage so once the wage come in (yes glen its a month in hand /Grrr ) fuel will mean feck all to me , i just have to make the few quid we have left last as long as possible , if you were in the same situation I'm fairly certain you would make the same decision , its no good looking at the small picture you have to look long term and selling the car is not looking long term , at the end of the day this came around because i was trying to be sensible with my money and the outcome was better than expected

Kieran
10-02-2006, 10:37 PM
sure the pound is worth more than the NZD - but you have to remember that the average wage/salary in NZD for doing the same job = the same in pounds!

so if i earn 60k a year in NZD, i would earn 60k a year in POUNDS doing essentially the same job.

You're assuming the exchange rate, average wages and the cost of living in the UK is on a 1:1 ratio with New Zealand. That's very wrong!/pan

Taken from this site here: http://www.emigratenz.org/Work.html

In New Zealand, A computer helpdesk operator can be paid somewhere between NZD$25,000 - NZD$55,000. This equates to 9,724 - 21,394.

This is comparable with the UK. In the company I work for, helpdesk wages start circa £12,000 and climb to circa £18,000. That's NZD$28,278 - NZD$46,000 We are considered a Median wage employer, which is to say that we pay neither top drawer nor peanuts.

Okay, so let's look at the cost of fuel and the impact on your income. Now.

For the UK, I have taken a petrol price of 93.9 pence a litre - this is what the local optimax is going for. Annual mileage of 10,000 (about UK average I believe) and an MPG of 22 - which is about right for a VR4.

So - 10,000 / 22 = Gallons used - 454.

So 454 * 4.540 = 2061 litres used @ £0.93.

This costs £1916 per year. That's NZD$4,926.71

In new Zealand, our 2061 litres of 98RON@$1.55 costs NZD$3194. That's £1242.

So already, there's quite a difference. However, as you say - a bit meaningless without putting into context. So, let's return to our wages. We'll shoot for middle of the road, meaning the UK peep is paid about £14,500 (NZD$37,294). THe NZ peep is paid about NZD$40,000 (assuming those wage figures are correct). That's £15,550.

So -

Our UK peep is paid £14,500 and £1916 of that is fuel. Or £13.2%.
Our NZ peep is paid £15,500 and £1242 of that is fuel. Or 8.01%.

So New zealand Fuel is still cheaper than the UK. And let's assume the jobs are equal pay...

UK - £18,000 = 10.64%
NZ - £18,000 = 6.9%.

AllBeItMine
10-02-2006, 10:46 PM
you should all move to new zealand then :scholar: <--- now that is an air of smugness

psbarham
10-02-2006, 10:52 PM
you should all move to new zealand then :scholar: <--- now that is an air of smugness
nah its ok i don't have a sheep fetish , even my employer pulled out of setting up your water system coz there was to many people pretending to know what they were on about to get the job done

AllBeItMine
10-02-2006, 10:56 PM
haha - i never said we were perfect. but.

if mpg and driving a vr4 are whats most important to you, this seems to be the place to do it (as has been so plainly pointed out to me.)

psbarham
10-02-2006, 11:01 PM
haha - i never said we were perfect. but.

if mpg and driving a vr4 are whats most important to you, this seems to be the place to do it (as has been so plainly pointed out to me.)
A vr4 is not important to me in the slightest , my V6 on the other hand is , and oh yes all those hills would do the fuel consumption the world of good compaired to the nice flat fens round here , and then theres the lower wages and then the cost of moving over there , Mmmmmm so tempting , not!!

WildCards
11-02-2006, 09:46 AM

Good point, lovely country, lovely scenery, some great MTBing terrain I should imagine and batter weathe than the UK. Maybe when the kids have grown up eh!

bradc
11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I drive about 100-120km per day depending on where I go in the mornings, I normally go to some of our suppliers in the morning. I use 10-12 litres of fuel a day, about $15-18. I try and allocate myself $120 a week (I work 6 days a week) for lunch and petrol. The way I see it is that if I drive hard I have to put up with $1.50 pies, if I drive slowly I still have to have $1.50 pies, but once or twice a week I can treat myself to a nice lunch at the cafe next door. Most of the time it just isn't worth trying to save petrol, it is much better just to have fun.

I always end up going to the cafe on Saturdays anyway because that is when all the hot girls are working :D

Gly
11-02-2006, 12:06 PM
bloody perv :D

ive given up on try'n to save gas, my foot just weighs to much.

but then i only have to drive 5km to get to work.

WildCards
11-02-2006, 09:38 PM
My personal petrol budget has increased to &#163;400 per month now i've got a leggie, i'm hoping i don't use that, but it's there if needs be.

I-S
11-02-2006, 09:56 PM
HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!?!

My mortgage is not much more than that...

WildCards
11-02-2006, 10:03 PM
HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!?!

My mortgage is not much more than that...

I'll be doin 16,000 miles a year in it so it all adds up. And unless I can find a banger with superb fuel economy which is uber cheap to buy and insure and keep on the road, it works out cheaper.

My dad gave me his banger which needed £450 to be roadworthy/pass MOT. Insurance was the killer though, because of my age and lack of NCB's cus they're used on the VR4, this banger was going to cost me £400 per annum to insure, plus tax, plus fuel, plus servicing, I think it worked out i'd save £20 per month in the end, for having a this banger and a VR4 over a VR4 only.

Of course, my figures could have all been wrong, I did do it on my fingers /pan

bradc
11-02-2006, 10:49 PM
I was thinking about buying another car too, but once you add up all the insurance, registration and other costs it really isn't worth it at all.

Robotnik123
14-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Also I'll bet in NZ grey import Legnums and Galants are loads cheaper to buy as well. So we pay less for fuel and less to buy the car in the 1st place! :happy:

You're assuming the exchange rate, average wages and the cost of living in the UK is on a 1:1 ratio with New Zealand. That's very wrong!/pan

Taken from this site here: http://www.emigratenz.org/Work.html

In New Zealand, A computer helpdesk operator can be paid somewhere between NZD$25,000 - NZD$55,000. This equates to 9,724 - 21,394.

This is comparable with the UK. In the company I work for, helpdesk wages start circa £12,000 and climb to circa £18,000. That's NZD$28,278 - NZD$46,000 We are considered a Median wage employer, which is to say that we pay neither top drawer nor peanuts.

Okay, so let's look at the cost of fuel and the impact on your income. Now.

For the UK, I have taken a petrol price of 93.9 pence a litre - this is what the local optimax is going for. Annual mileage of 10,000 (about UK average I believe) and an MPG of 22 - which is about right for a VR4.

So - 10,000 / 22 = Gallons used - 454.

So 454 * 4.540 = 2061 litres used @ £0.93.

This costs £1916 per year. That's NZD$4,926.71

In new Zealand, our 2061 litres of 98RON@$1.55 costs NZD$3194. That's £1242.

So already, there's quite a difference. However, as you say - a bit meaningless without putting into context. So, let's return to our wages. We'll shoot for middle of the road, meaning the UK peep is paid about £14,500 (NZD$37,294). THe NZ peep is paid about NZD$40,000 (assuming those wage figures are correct). That's £15,550.

So -

Our UK peep is paid £14,500 and £1916 of that is fuel. Or £13.2%.
Our NZ peep is paid £15,500 and £1242 of that is fuel. Or 8.01%.

So New zealand Fuel is still cheaper than the UK. And let's assume the jobs are equal pay...

UK - £18,000 = 10.64%
NZ - £18,000 = 6.9%.

RugbyPete
15-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I put £30 in my v6
Drove 280 miles back from where I bought it, cruise control at 75-80, a few blasts at 85-95, then next day had enough to get 20 miles to work and half way back where I bottled it and bought some more fuel for the last couple of miles.

Fine mpg by me, and that was in cold snow conditions....

White Lightning
15-02-2007, 11:58 AM
39 mpg is rather impressive ... :happy:

14.5 mpg for me on my last tankful :inquisiti

psbarham
18-10-2009, 08:43 AM
keeping in with the new trend on cvr4 of resurrecting old and forgotten threads from the depths of the forums bowels /lol

My last 2 tank full's worked out as 26mpg for a mixed A road and B road running, and 29.6 something for fast 5 up motorway and A road running, which is actually better than the gdi managed for the same sort of runs. Which shows how **** the gdi engine is and how much of a difference a manual box in a vr4 makes.
I reckon i could have got a bit more if I had tried, and there was no roadworks, and I was fully awake, oh and not out dragging 750 beemers out of the 50 limits on motorways /Devil5

bradc
18-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Well done!