PDA

View Full Version : hot! hot! hot!

conjurer
25-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Hi guys, tried to search the folders but cant seem to find info i wanted. if this has been discussed appreciate someone re-directing me to the thread. I would like to find out if you guys have a heat issue for the vr4. In a tropical climate like singapore, heat is my number one enemy. After a bit of heavy right foots, the temperature rises. After I installed the Ralliart Evo 4 termostat INSERT INTO post VALUES (71 deg rating) and 1.1 cap, the engine temp is now running at 82 degrees and when pushed hard it rises to 95 deg. Push harder and for a longer time, it goes to 100 degrees. After every run, radiator water loss is about 0.5 litres. No leaks in my system, its coming out from the expansion tank. B4 the change in termostat, average operating was 92 deg and when pushed hard it rises above 110 deg and beyond, radiator gets all dried up. I am running at about 0.95Bar boost INSERT INTO post VALUES (peak). Anyone has this experience and has managed to solve the problem. I realise when the car is moving, the temp is alright, problem is when I stop after a run, the needle climbs...

Spader
26-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Sounds a little like what was going on with our race car.

some questions
1. How much antifreeze/glycol are you running in the radiator?

2. Have you thought about thermowrapping the exhaust/exhaust housing from the turbo to reduce under bonnet temps?

3. What octane is the fuel you run?

4. when did you last clean the water system in the car?

5. Are the heat rating on the plugs correct?

under bonnet temps and low octane fuel can lead to an increase in the water temp as the latent heat in the engine from the 'hard drive' soaks through the alloy and into the water.
different plugs can make a difference to the temp of the engine, but it may cause a power loss. Glycol/Antifreeze increases the boiling point of water so may help keep water in the system INSERT INTO post VALUES (as well as offering anti rust and water pump lubrication). By thermowrapping INSERT INTO post VALUES (or in NZ HPC coating) the exhaust housing or the exhaust itself INSERT INTO post VALUES (manifold or dump pipe from turbo) this will reduce the underbonnet temperature so the 'heat soak' will be alot less.

another way to reduce temps is to ensure you are running either fully or semi-syntheric oil. in my last Turbo car the oil temp dropped 50 deg C by using semi-syn over mineral. and it got thrashed constantly

Thats my 2 cents worth....