PDA

View Full Version : Forgive my ignorance ??

vambo
26-09-2003, 12:23 AM
I am considering buying a Galant Estate VR-4, I know next to nothing about them but one does seem to fulfil my needs which are :-

Reliable
Stylish and 'different'
Good turn of speed
Comfortable
Good load carrier
All the bells and whistles - Climate, Cruise , etc etc

I am looking at a 1998 with 83k on the clock. What should I look out for, known faults ?. I've also got to go thro a dealer as I want to painlessly chop my 406 oil burner.

Also whats the difference betewwn Galant & Legnum , or is there none ?

PUDD
26-09-2003, 12:32 AM
:Dhiya Vambo ,
a Legnum is an import galant estate/station wagon.
An as far as im concerned ,a legnum will offer u everything your looking for m8.
But be warned,if important to u,galant/legnums dont have a brilliant turning circle lol ;)
so good luck with the hunt Vambo:D

vambo
26-09-2003, 12:38 AM
I realise 83k a bit high but everything I've read says if FSH should go round the clock and some.

Know of any faults I should look for, specific to VR-4 ?

PUDD
26-09-2003, 12:48 AM
:D nahhh m8,not from wot ive read up.But if u get to look through the forums,youll get to see wot some of the Vr4 owners have been up to.But nothing too critical dont think :D

jtfleming
26-09-2003, 05:16 AM
Vambo, get a FULL pre-purchase, save a lot of grief later. Mechanical insurance can be good also as parts can be quite pricey. Remember these are a high performance car and a lot tend to be driven hard so look for signs of stress. Apart from that just tow around a petrol tanker and you'll be right!!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

pjjohnson
26-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Leaking gearbox seals, AYC problems, and steering rack.

Brind
26-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by pjjohnson
Leaking gearbox seals, AYC problems, and steering rack.
Actually that does pretty much cover all the problems we have had.
Mitsubishi parts are one of the most expensive parts out there and to give you an idea most parts on a Mitsubishi are FAR more expensive than those for a BMW.

The car is heavy and performance is high so higher stress on components lead to more potential problems but Mitsubishis are extremely reliable so don't expect it to break to easy.

Have a good swat up on all the info that has been posted and you'll find everything you need to know.

They are all Galants.
Legnum is Mitsubishis way of saying Estate.

Warranty can be advisable if you're faced with needing an AYC pump replacement like myself a while ago, £2,000 all covered by warranty.:eek:
Quite a rare problem but has been known to happen.

Spirit
26-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Yeah got to agree with these guys - gearbox leaks are an issue so check it out thoroughly ! And make sure you get a decent warranty as Mark said

lisa
26-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Check that gear box fluid......

Pull out the nice little handy dipstick and check those levels.

In the year we have had our VR-4 we have not had any problems until recently. We are losing transmission fluid like the clappers.
We now have a parking space that looks like something that should be hung up in the Tate modern !

But on the up side thanks to Petrol Head and his handy tips and photo guide on split pipes hopefully our car should be up and running soon.

As was mentioned earlier, check out various threads of problems people have had.
But really dont be put off, the VR-4 is by far the best car I have ever driven and it is everything you could possibly want from a car.
But when they ask you about optional extra's ask for shares in Shell oil, as my god its a thirsty beast !