PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading brakes

martypalin
12-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Which brakes are suitable for an upgrade for my GLS? I have gone through the choices and its now between Black Diamond or RED DOT, has anyone else got either of these or any good/bad points? Also where can I buy new calippers from?

ghanda
12-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Black Diamond discs, EBC Red Ceramic pads, Motul DOT4 fluid and braided hoses should see you right.
What's wrong with your current calipers?

martypalin
12-02-2006, 09:24 PM
nothing, but like everything they wear out/age, i just thought of ugrading the whole brake area at the same time. Or is that a bit of overkill?

WildCards
12-02-2006, 11:55 PM
If you're doing the whole kaboodle, you can get some AP/KAD 6 pots for a little over a grand i'm told. Pricey, but would be the nuts :thumbsup

Kieran
13-02-2006, 12:46 AM
If you're doing the whole kaboodle, you can get some AP/KAD 6 pots for a little over a grand i'm told. Pricey, but would be the nuts :thumbsup

And way OTT for the GLS. It doesn't need that degree of stopping power. /yes

I-S
13-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Try here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8764). That's what it's for...

From that list I'd be inclined to go with Brembo drilled discs and Black diamond pads.

WildCards
13-02-2006, 12:45 PM
And way OTT for the GLS. It doesn't need that degree of stopping power. /yes

didn't see that /pan oops

martypalin
13-02-2006, 07:15 PM
cheers Isaac, couldnt find an approprite post when i searched! Hey I cant afford a vr4 yet!

Big Ian
13-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Black Diamond are good value for the cash, but i thought they needed warming up quite a bit before they felt better than standard, but in saying that it may have been the Predetar pad's that didn't do their job? :thinking: think Green Stuff pad's might be a better brake pad?

Kieran
13-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Black Diamond are good value for the cash, but i thought they needed warming up quite a bit before they felt better than standard, but in saying that it may have been the Predetar pad's that didn't do their job? :thinking: think Green Stuff pad's might be a better brake pad?

I'm inclined to agree with this Ian - got black diamonds on Ariadne at the moment. When they're hot, they bite well, but they're not a good road pad.

I-S
13-02-2006, 11:43 PM
I find mine bite fine after the first two stops... It's the discs which I have a bit of a problem with (they rattle on the odd bump). The greenstuff pads are more than twice the price of the Predator also. I'd rather have the brembo discs.

I've actually got a set of greenstuff sat here (I won an EBC competition), so once the predators wear out I will do a like-for-like comparison and let you know. However, this could take another 15000 miles....

bradc
14-02-2006, 07:05 AM
keep us updated! :)

caishanvr4
14-02-2006, 10:25 PM
originally posted by martypalin

Which brakes are suitable for an upgrade for my GLS? I have gone through the choices and its now between Black Diamond or RED DOT, has anyone else got either of these or any good/bad points? Also where can I buy new calippers from?
HI marty, if my brakes disc/pads fit you can make me an offer, im in the market for brembos :happy:

KiwiTT
14-02-2006, 10:53 PM
I was originally looking at upgrading my calipers and rotors, but now am fully convinced that I should do what is recommended in here (http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/pdf/brake_upgrade.pdf).

For NZ$500 you can have really impressive stopping power. When my pads are worn, I will do what it says upgrade the pads and upgrade to fluids.