PDA

View Full Version : Testing the wonder-fluid!

Nick Mann
14-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Another one coming your way, Don! ATF and engine oil for the beast. Hopefully to be put in this weekend! :thumbsup: If it can cure the lash adjuster rattle on my 'black cab' then I'll shout about it from the highest rooftops! /yes

Wodjno
14-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Another one coming your way, Don! ATF and engine oil for the beast. Hopefully to be put in this weekend! :thumbsup: If it can cure the lash adjuster rattle on my 'black cab' then I'll shout about it from the highest rooftops! /yes

And another 1 :2thumbsup

pezza
14-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Eagerly Awaiting your feedback..

altho am very happy with Silkolene Pro race at the mo, I will definitely give amsoil a go next time...

Kieran
14-02-2006, 06:22 PM
All I can say is that you won't regret it. Particularly the ATF - this stuff REALLY benefits the INVECS 'box.

The Series 2000 0w-30 has already made a noticeable difference to my car on cold starts, but it's 'acid test' will be what shape the oil is in after 3,000 miles... Previously, every single 'synthetic' oil I've used has come out nearly black and decidedly horrible.

I was that impressed with the effect on Ariadne that I ordered some Amsoil SAE 30 (Now 0w/30) diesel oil for Skarloey. It's now in and I will shortly be changing the gearbox oil for the Amsoil equivalent too. I will report my findings.

So far, the amsoil Diesel oil has produced similar benefits to the petrol stuff - the engine feels more eager to rev and is smoother, and there's a lot less vapour/fumes escape if you stop the engine and open the oil filler cap after a long run..... It's not burning!

I have always believed in good, quality fluids changed regularly - but Amsoil seems to be in a different league!

At the next oil change interval, I will get a testing/analysis kit from Don to see what state the oil is in - no point changing if it's still within specification!

Kieran
14-02-2006, 06:32 PM
At the next oil change interval, I will get a testing/analysis kit from Don to see what state the oil is in - no point changing if it's still within specification!

Just to clairfy, the filter will get changed if the oil is still within spec! Don't fancy zero oil pressure!:uhoh2:

amsoil
14-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Thank you very much chaps. Getting the sales is as important to me as getting the message over. IMHO Joe motorist has been conned for so long over oil in the interests of huge profits both for the oils companies and for the manufacturers who have little interest in the continuance of their cars beyond 5 years; after all they want to sell you a new car don't they, and the Oil companies just want you to buy more oil. I could go on but...
I don't know if Amsoil will immediately get rid of the noise from lifters as the oil will erode any muck in the engine over time, if its a case of wear it can't put metal back but if its deposits narrowing the oil holes then it will clean these together with any stickiness, but it will take some time. I am really interested to know what happens here.
I would not be surprised if the oil discolours quickly as it will be removing any residual deposits from the engine; with diesels the oil will discolour even more as it holds soot in suspension. None of this will detract from the oils properties as it is heavily loaded with properties to survive this as per independent testing , bla bla bla.
When I have time I'm even going to treat my good old TDI Galaxy to its 4th oil change; after all she has just passed the 120K barrier, its cheaper to use the best!

amsoil
14-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Just to clairfy, the filter will get changed if the oil is still within spec! Don't fancy zero oil pressure!:uhoh2:

Yes do change the filter Kieran, you won't be left with zero pressure but you will be left with zero filteration if the filter clogs.

Rally205
14-02-2006, 08:17 PM
I changed all of my oils to Amsoil at the weekend before the trackday at Donny. I noticed an immediate improvment in my engine. It got rid of my lifter tick in about 30 seconds and the ATF has made a noticeable improvement to the shift quality in the gearbox although that could just be down to me flushing it properly and not leaving it to Mitsubishi.

The car came in for a good thrashing on Sunday and never missed a beat. The shift quality did not degrade and the engine did not become noisier and even though it got revved hard constantly for 20 mins at a time the engine temp never rose above normal. I think that is testament to the friction reducing properties of the oil.

I would be interested in testing the oil now it has been worked hard and the turbos have tried their hardest to boil it. How much is a test kit Don?

:2thumbsup

p.s. I changed the AYC clutch pack fluid aswell and that is now totally silent in operation and believe me it operated alot on sunday!

jakester
14-02-2006, 08:20 PM
OK, I am sold....please tell me where I buy these wonder oils from :)

amsoil
14-02-2006, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Rally205]
I would be interested in testing the oil now it has been worked hard and the turbos have tried their hardest to boil it. How much is a test kit Don?
QUOTE]

Thanks for the vote of confidence; I don't advertise the test kits as lots of people would buy them!!!:speechles
The idea is that I (really) supply them at cost as a service to my customers so that they can get an independant anaysis done on the oil/ engine condition. If you really want one is £15 including post and thats with the test all paid for. However....
I really think you will be wasting your time as one weekends jolly is not going to do anything to this oil,and especially the TSO, really. As a sceptic I have sent over 2 dozen samples away and in the end didn't believe the results. Seeing was finally believing when I opened the engine up to find I really had been wasting my time.
But you are the customer :happy:

WildCards
14-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Don, good to hear all of the above, and I too have just ordered all the fluids necessary from your company. But, are there any results to say I/we don't need to change the oil at the 3K or 4.5K intervals as is currently the case.

Cheers

Steve

amsoil
14-02-2006, 10:26 PM
No there are no results in. When they are in I am sure they will be public knowledge; and quickly. I am also aware that the worst case will in be the series of 1st results as the oil will be 'contaminated' by residuals be that the old oil or the muck left in the engine even with good flushing. Best results are likely to be from an engine that had a full and real synthetic before.
I am trying to keep expectations down a bit really, I believe that the product will fulfill expectations even with a bit of contamination. There are test kits out there now and we will just have to wait and see. It will be fascinating.

WildCards
14-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks Don.

psbarham
14-02-2006, 10:30 PM
just out of curiosity what grade and spec would you recomend for my N/A V6 bearing in mind its now showing just shy of the 140000 mile mark now , its currently running ovoline 10w/40 with no tapity tapity as yet

amsoil
14-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Think I'd go for the same again or the Euro 5w40, Not because of better cold flow but because the spec appears to be 1/2 way between the super TSO and the 'normal' Amsoil. It may be a bit of overkill but then again you only need to find out it wasn't for 1 second. As with all things , you pays your money....

Perhaps I need to mention that these oils are not new. We (well Chas) has had them in Can Am McClarens, Championship winning F/Fords, a couple of F1 cars (not allowed to name names but Eddie no longer owns one of them) F1 power boats works Hondas and all sorts of other stuff. Given time we will have pics up of those we are sponsoring this year which includes Boats, Karts, stock hatch, dirt and circle track. Its all on the Amsoil.com site if you can be bothered to wade through all the Multi level marketing stuff. I just wish we could have a bit of an advertising budget. But hey with a thread like this who needs it!

WildCards
14-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Advertising you say? My company can offer some 'cheap' solutions if you'd like to give us a call.

psbarham
14-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Think I'd go for the same again or the Euro 5w40, Not because of better cold flow but because the spec appears to be 1/2 way between the super TSO and the 'normal' Amsoil. It may be a bit of overkill but then again you only need to find out it wasn't for 1 second. As with all things , you pays your money....

okey dokey , its due for its service in about 3000 miles (2 months) so i'll be giving you a call :2thumbsup

We (well Chas) has had them in Can Am McClarens

any ideas which ones (model/ driver) my dad used to build these and is like a school boy at the mention of any of "his" cars , if you know where any of them are then please let me know as i have been trying to reunite them so to speak :2thumbsup

I-S
14-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Well, after a week and a half, mine still taps on cold-start until the engine warms up a bit, but nothing like as badly as it did before. Once warm it's smooth as silk dipped in teflon wrapped in belgian chocolate... The ATF ROCKS. Not much more I can say about that.

Funkstar
15-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Have to say Don, from looking at this and your other posts, I like your approach. You big up your own product, as you should, but fair play, you never diss any other product that you compete with on the market. Always have a good thing to say about the competition and give good, positive advice on their products too. I really like your approach.

I feel its about time I treated the machine to a bit of loving (with it being valentines and all that). And after all the great feedback from the other guys, I think this is the best way.

Gonna have to wait till payday though, but need some ATF and engine oil.

amsoil
15-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Thank you

Bal
15-02-2006, 12:33 AM
i must admit when it's time for it's oil change i'll be giving youa shout.

Physician
15-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Ummm!

I guess I'd better try this liquid as well.

So, what do I need? For engine? For gearbox? (And quantity?)

I have been using Halfrauds 5/40 synthetic for last two years (engine) and Mitsy put in whatever THEY use for the gearbox (tip).

Thanks

Rich

jayjay99
15-02-2006, 12:26 PM
I'm up for some, don't need to change it yet as it's just had two 45000 mile services but no harm getting some fluids ready. Same questions as Physician, types, quantaty etc? How do we purchase? through the site, give ya a tinkle?

Cheers

WildCards
15-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Heres what i've just ordered, should give you an idea.

1x TSO 0W30 Engine Oil (5ltr)
2x ATF (5ltr)
2x SVG Severe Gear Oil
1x ANF Antifreeze
1x API PI
1x AEF Engine Flush

jayjay99
15-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Just having a look, think I'll have to wait until payday, I'll get 5ltr of the 0W30, might as well get the best and some ATF, how much does it hold / do I need to buy? Might get an engine flush too.

jayjay99
15-02-2006, 05:00 PM
One other thing, amsoil, I saw it can be picked up from Hounslow, I work just around the corner in heston, how would I go about aranging that when it comes to ordering?

Nick Mann
15-02-2006, 05:53 PM
If you do a proper ATF fluid change you will need 10 litres. Look for Kierans thread in the Articles section for a how to.

bernmc
15-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, my car's going to xtreme on friday for yet another bloody service. I have two test kits from Don. Last service we changed from whatever xtreme usually uses to amsoil's turbo 0W-30, so there's bound to be some contamination. I'll get a sample of this when it's drained (I've done 5000miles on it now), and send it off. I'm leaving the ATF this time (just changing the filter), and will be using the 2nd kit to send of a sample of this.

I'm not sure how long the analysis takes, but the lab should have both samples early next week. I'll post as soon as I get the results.

Incidently, this is the 2nd time I've ordered amsoil from don & co, and as before service was excellent, and delivery like greased lightning. I also ordered 12x500ml bottles of Motul RBF600 racing brake fluid from Oilman, who gave similarly excellent service, a good price, and speedy delivery.

amsoil
15-02-2006, 08:51 PM
One other thing, amsoil, I saw it can be picked up from Hounslow, I work just around the corner in heston, how would I go about aranging that when it comes to ordering?

Hi JJ, I say Hounslow but I'm actually in Heston too. I can drop it off for you or you can call around; Just let me know the night before and I will get it brought back from the warehouse the next day; Try not to leave it to Thursday evening or Friday as if we are busy earlier in the week we will take 1/2 or a full day off. Reason for this is that I don't like to get goods sent on the Friday as I know that they will be languishing about in a pile all over the weekend. :happy:

amsoil
15-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Ummm!

So, what do I need? For engine? For gearbox? (And quantity?)

I have been using Halfrauds 5/40 synthetic for last two years (engine) and Mitsy put in whatever THEY use for the gearbox (tip).

Thanks

Rich

Hi Rich,

If you tell me what car you have with details of year and model I can look up the correct oil. The auto box will need 2 x 5 L of ATF. If you don't know what make has been put in your engine before you should really use a flush. Any one will do the job or I can supply. You may wish to check your owners manual for the grade of oil. If the second number is a 30 then the best oil is TSO which covers from 0w-10w and also has the film strength of a 40 grade. Its the hot number but so is the price. If the book says 40 as a second number then its a 40 grade and the best will be the Euro 5w-40. If you are not giving the car a hard time then just as per the manufactures recommendations if fine.

SGHOM
15-02-2006, 09:07 PM
If you are not giving the car a hard time

not giving it a hard time ???? It's never off the track !! :2thumbsup :2thumbsup or the streets of leicester !! :happy:

amsoil
15-02-2006, 09:15 PM
How do we purchase? through the site, give ya a tinkle?

Cheers

Its taken me a little while to get used to finding my way about the forum too. Basicly look up the top where it says 'Forums' in white, click. Scroll nearly all the way down until you come to 'Club VR4 Members Area' and click or look along the line for ' Club Discounts' The first couple of posts there will explain all , give the online link and discount code; If anyone isn't a member then it clearly makes good financial sense to become one, Payment can be by cheque, card, Pay pal, blood, women etc. :thinking:

WildCards
15-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Payment can be by cheque card, Pay pal, blood, women etc. :thinking:

I did Paypal, but if known blood or women were acceptable i'd of asked how much or for how long!

amsoil
15-02-2006, 10:18 PM
I did Paypal, but if known blood or women were acceptable i'd of asked how much or for how long!

Bring them on, I've got some test kits! :2thumbsup

jayjay99
15-02-2006, 10:46 PM
If you do a proper ATF fluid change you will need 10 litres. Look for Kierans thread in the Articles section for a how to.

Cheers Nick, I will check that out.

Cheers amsoil, I'll order around the beginning of next month, I work off cranford lane, if you know it, anyway, we'll arange it at the time if that's ok:2thumbsup . And what are these test kits about?

amsoil
15-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Cheers Nick, I will check that out.

Cheers amsoil, I'll order around the beginning of next month, I work off cranford lane, if you know it, anyway, we'll arange it at the time if that's ok:2thumbsup . And what are these test kits about?

Thats sweet as I go down Cranford Lane to get to and from the M4 and on to the warehouse (well I am waiting to see what effect these poxy bollard things have as I think its going to be murder) Test kits are for testing engine and oil condition. An independant lab in wales does it and the results are back within the week as I recall someone wanted to know. You can always ask them what the results mean and they are very helpful.

jayjay99
16-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Ah cool, I'll probably purchase one of those too. I will be in touch beginning of next month.

Cheers.

amsoil
16-02-2006, 08:03 PM
I don't know if Amsoil will immediately get rid of the noise from lifters as the oil will erode any muck in the engine over time, if its a case of wear it can't put metal back but if its deposits narrowing the oil holes then it will clean these together with any stickiness, but it will take some time. I am really interested to know what happens here.

I had a good chat to Chas our resident oil expert today about the hydraulic lifters tapping (Chas will never blow his own trumpet but he is one of the top oil experts in the country with over 30 years experience). Chas agreed with my reasoning , however; if a engine has been run for a very long time on a poor oil sufficient wear/scoring can occur to the sides of the lifter and the head/head guide to foil any attempt of the lifter to pump up against the pressure of cam and valve springs. Changing the lifter, perhaps with the 3mm hole versions will get rid of half this wear (the lifter sides) which will reduce losses by about 2/3rds from this area. Still cheaper to try and get away with the oil first. The real answer would be to not only have new lifters but to also have new sleeves put in the head! This sounds horribly horribly expensive to me.
Just to keep you updated if interested. :book:

Wodjno
16-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Great info Don. I am starting to think that if your in need of an oil change then change to amsoil products, if it gets rid of the ticking then great. If it doesn't then nothing has been lost as you now have a quality oil in your engine ready to accept your New Hydraulic Lifters and Sleeves if your going to go down that route. :happy:

amsoil
16-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Thats about the bottom line. I dont know if Mitzi heads have lifter sleeves? If they have great if not the cost is going to be .......? high. Personally I would try just new lifters as my maths tells me that removing half the wear will remove 2/3rds of the leak. Plus its quick and a lot , lot cheaper. (I also think it has a very high % chance of doing the trick.

Nick Mann
16-02-2006, 10:48 PM
After taking my lifters out and cleaning them the car went silent for a few weeks. I suspect it is a combination of high mileage and poor oil that is my problem. This weekend I intend to solve half of that!

andy43
18-02-2006, 10:43 AM
With mine it'll only tick for maybe 5 seconds on a freezing cold start-up, but it's had Silkolene Pro-S in it with regular changes - been flushing mine through with cheap oil before the oil'n'filter change to get any lingering cr@p out as well.
Ticking does deffo get worserer the older the oil, even with synthetic, so regular changes are the answer - this amsoil stuff may well go in mine next time :2thumbsup
I've got the amsoil atf in the gearbox(Kieren-stylee-flush-through with dexron III first - BIG change in fluid colour from reddy brown to RED, and a gearbox ecu reboot after), and I really do think it's made a difference to the shift change quality, particularly with how long it'll take to lock onto a gear once the box is warmed up - less slurring and probably more mpg as a result. Cold shifts seem smoother as well. Expensive, but deffo worth it
:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup AMSOIL :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

bernmc
18-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, my oil sample should be in the post to the lab today, if the wife has been obedient! It was pretty black, if that means anything. Haven't done the ATF sample yet, and I'm working late all w/end, so hopefully I'll be able to get some daylight to do it early next week.

bernmc
24-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Results posted in new thread here (Click) (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=130006#post130006)

WildCards
24-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Mine is absolutely fine after changing the oil, no tappety noise at all

Nick Mann
08-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Well I finally have my car back on the road. WHat a nightmare! But that is for another thread.

I have to say, after 100 miles I am very impressed with the Amsoil. I still have ticking, but much better than it was and it seems to be getting better still. The gearbox is the dodgy one we fitted last november and it is settling in far quicker than it did last time.

I will update this thread in the future, but so far I am convinced the extra money spent was worth it.

Brunty
08-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Great news Nick, hope the ticking continues to improve.

Pat on the back for Don and his oils.

amsoil
08-03-2006, 11:14 PM
:2thumbsup Glad your happy Nick, thanks for the update.

Kieran
08-03-2006, 11:15 PM
:2thumbsup Glad your happy Nick, thanks for the update.

Hey Don - can your head still fit through the door?! ;) :2thumbsup

amsoil
08-03-2006, 11:20 PM
You should see the size of my door!

Kieran
08-03-2006, 11:22 PM
You should see the size of my door!
/haz

And I bet the hinges have Amsoil Ultra-Synthetic-maximum-flow-performance-super-severe-heavy-duty 3 in 1 oil on them! /Devil5