PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise

simpsonm
26-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Just bought a VR4 today and when driving over bumps in the road you can here a knocking noise. The garage originally claimed this to be the jack in the boot as the thing had no sponge to stop it from rocking against the metal. However I have suported this and it's still happening. It sounds like it's coming from the engine bay. Do these have probs with exhaust heat shields?

zedy1
26-09-2003, 11:10 PM
get the anti toll bar bushes checked

Spirit
27-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Could be the exhaust ifself knocking the bodywork ? Is it a standard one or aftermarket ?

Nick VR4
27-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Check Battery is not loose
Also check engine mounts arent loose or busted
Check the Cross brace as well

simpsonm
27-09-2003, 12:23 PM
its just been through independant MOT and service before I bought it from trader. They state that they replaced part of the exhaust as part of service. Surley the bushes would be picked up as prt of MOT?

Nick VR4
27-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Another thing is check nothing is moving / banging around in the glove compartmant

Roadrunner
27-09-2003, 12:54 PM
I'd reckon either anti-roll bar bushes, suspension bushes or the dampers themselves. Problem with the bushes is you can not tell by looking at them whether they're shot, you have to dismantle the component and, once you've done that, you need to replace the bushes anyway ;)

simpsonm
27-09-2003, 01:07 PM
just been moving the odd thing around and it looks like the only thing I can see is the plastic engine shield underneath the car may be loose. One side of the car is solid the other has some play in it. Hmm could be that, just need to find something to hold it secure.

Brind
27-09-2003, 06:44 PM
I would have suggested the same as H.7 as knocking when going over bumps could be something to do with a many parts of the suspenision and steering linkages.

Can you hear the sound louder or can you sense if it is coming from any specific corner of the car when going over bumps?
If it's coming from a corner then chances are it is something to do with what H.7 and myself have said.
Just out of curiosity can you grab a wheel and wiggle it to check for any play?

simpsonm
28-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Theres no play in the wheels, I am taking it back to the trader nehows. 3 months warranty with them, its just a 60mile trip there and if it was something simple I could have dealt with it myself. Thanks for all your help, much obliged.

Ultra VR-4
29-09-2003, 12:11 AM
i had a knocking sound everytime i went over a bump when i first bought my vr4 too. took it to my uncle who is a panel beater, he did some checks and found that the chasis was not straight. The mudguard was hitting one of the panels. Since had the chassis straightened and no more sound.

simpsonm
29-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Sounds expensive.

simpsonm
13-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Just had a local mechanic have a look at the car, there seems to be some play in the drivers side front wheel. It may be this, may not. Would av thought this would be picked up via an MOT or service tho. I think I just contradicted myself aswell sorry peeps.

Nick VR4
13-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Sounds like a wheel bearing then
Maybe just needs tightening

simpsonm
15-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Are the wheel bearings expensive, they may or may not be covered under the warranty.

Thanks for your help nehows

4me
22-10-2003, 08:50 PM
My brother had the same problem. Turned out to be a loose brake caliper that was jumping a little. One bolt.

Then a week later he got rear-ended now many things rattle.

Roadrunner
22-10-2003, 11:18 PM
he got rear-ended
Ooo err missus ... :D