PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fuel consumption please

kramer
16-02-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm on the verge of buying a '97 5 Speed non-turbo 2.5 litre V6 Legnum (ST-R I think they are), the only thing I'm worried about is fuel consumption as I do about 700kms per week.... have surfed the net for the last few hours searching for fuel consumption info but do you think I can find any anywhere?!! Has anyone got any idea approximately how many km's these things do to a tank for combined city/highway driving and how big the tank is? (55 litres?)
Also what are these vehicles like for reliability? If I don't buy the Legnum I will more than likely be buying a Holden Vectra (2 very different vehicles I know!)Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

marmel31
16-02-2006, 09:52 AM
I think you would be better off deciding what kind of vehicle you need first and then look in that model category for options. For the two vehicles you have mentioned if you need the space of a station wagon then it is a no brainer. I have a 1.8gdi legnum and it is very economical and drives very well on the open road. Having a tiptronic box is great too, especially with a smaller motor, it comes in very handy for overtaking. I think the ST-R would be economical on the highway, not sure about around town though. Is it 4wd? That can make quite a difference.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I don't really know but hopefully I've given you something of use.

Cheers.

bradc
16-02-2006, 10:05 AM
There are quite a few UK members here with V6-24's which have the same engine as an ST-R and they get very good fuel economy, around 550-700km per tank, it all depends on just how you drive it.

My 1.8 GDi was average at best and I could only get 600km out of a tank if I really really pushed it

kramer
16-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks for that info. It's a 2WD so shouldn't be too bad if driven conservatively I guess. Interesting that the GDI economy is so poor. So is the Legnum tank 55 litres or 60 litres?

Nick Mann
16-02-2006, 10:40 AM
2WD tank is 64 litres, 4WD 60. On my 2WD manual V6 estates I used to get 300 miles from 50 litres, but that was more round town driving than long runs.

mpau009
16-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Hello, iv just sold my 97 STR for a Vr4, and was surprised at how minimal the difference was. In the STR for around town and motorway driving, i was getting about 500 to 550k from a near full tank. The VR4 has a bigger tank, and even tho its new and i am still driving it hard, i got 450k out of the slightly larger (10litres i think) tank. For the difference in power i couldn't really believe it.

I think the difference was caused by the fact that the STR had about 150000k on it, and my new on has 35000k, also having a manual in place of the tiptronic i think helps, as i often shift early.

Bottom line, if your looking for a fuel efficient wagon, probably neither car is for you, but the VR4 makes far sight better use of that gas, in terms of performance, so iv always got a big grin that fills the big hole in my wallet:baby: :-ished: /Devil5

bradc
16-02-2006, 07:24 PM
The tank would be the same size, you might just find that the fuel needle is calibrated differantly so that you can use more petrol before you think you need to fill up.

richy rich
16-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for that info. It's a 2WD so shouldn't be too bad if driven conservatively I guess. Interesting that the GDI economy is so poor. So is the Legnum tank 55 litres or 60 litres?
if its 2wd its not the str or not to jap/English standard

i had an str and i got 350 miles(sorry not in ks) along run.

KiwiTT
16-02-2006, 08:13 PM
See here (http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/mitsubishi/legnum/) for Legnums

Kenneth
16-02-2006, 08:13 PM
My advice on fuel consumption is to not worry about it.

How can you enjoy a vehicle if you are always worried about fuel?

If you are more worried about cost of fuel than the car, then get a diesel van and un-hook the speedo so you dont have to pay the road user charges... You dont get much cheaper than that.

richy rich
16-02-2006, 08:15 PM
My advice on fuel consumption is to not worry about it.

How can you enjoy a vehicle if you are always worried about fuel?

If you are more worried about cost of fuel than the car, then get a diesel van and un-hook the speedo so you dont have to pay the road user charges... You dont get much cheaper than that.
a men to that

bradc
16-02-2006, 10:31 PM
I drove a diesel patrol for a while, I noticed the speedo ticked over very slowly whenever it was going from xxxx99km to xxx100km. One day it got to 179999km and never moved again ;)