PDA

View Full Version : Plastic or fibreglass?

martypalin
16-02-2006, 09:37 PM
In the process of buying a bodykit but I am told by the guy who is going to be fitting it that a plastic one is MUCH easier and flexible to work with. BUT a good 99% of kits I have seen are fibreglass. I'm guessing this is because they are easier for the companies to make in bulk and the question I'm really asking is - is the difference in price between the kits worth it? In terms of fitting, looks and how long they last/wear

:zzz:

speech over! :2thumbsup

Kenneth
16-02-2006, 09:58 PM
In the process of buying a bodykit but I am told by the guy who is going to be fitting it that a plastic one is MUCH easier and flexible to work with. BUT a good 99% of kits I have seen are fibreglass. I'm guessing this is because they are easier for the companies to make in bulk and the question I'm really asking is - is the difference in price between the kits worth it? In terms of fitting, looks and how long they last/wear

:zzz:

speech over! :2thumbsup

I suspect that fiberglass is cheaper and eaiser to produce.

It is deffinatly easier and cheaper to repair, which for a kit that is going to be close to the ground is deffinatly a benefit!
Not sure on the weight side of things...

Springie
17-02-2006, 02:33 AM
For a front kit plastic is WAY better. Fibreglass cracks easier as it is more rigid, plastic has more flex. I've found plastic doesn't stone chip as much either. Weight wise plastic is a little bit heavier.

If you can get a plastic kit for not to much more than a fibreglass one i'd definatley get plastic. Plastic will also last and look better for longer.

OSiRiS
17-02-2006, 03:10 AM
And you can fix them by plastic welding! :)

AllBeItMine
17-02-2006, 11:32 AM
fiberglass is easier for a panel beater to modify or repair as you can sand it, bog it, etc.