PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pipes and Leaks

bernmc
18-02-2006, 07:54 PM
My car went to Xtreme for service yesterday. Came back with a couple of comments about power steering dribbles. The first is from the front pipe, near the radiator - looks like a similar thing mentioned by a couple of the non turbo owners (here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13796) and here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8096)). Not too difficult to get at I guess, but may mean taking the bloody bumper off, and I don't like the sound of forking out £70 for a flippin pipe. Wonder if there's an alternative...

The 2nd looks like it's coming from the back of the engine somewhere - there's a pipe that seems to run way back down below the exhaust manifold on the rear V. Looks like it may be a real barsteward to get at. Xtreme suggested that they'd need to keep the car for three or four days to sort it...:o

Anyone messed with that rear pipe at all?

Rather than fork out a gazillion to Xtreme, who I don't really trust after this lot of shennanigans (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12259)with my gearbox connector), I might take Rich & Wodjwotsit up on their big garage offer- depending on how much the barstewards try to fleece me, and how many CVR4 memebres I can con into coming along for a play!

I'll try to take some pics when I'm allowed out in the daylight again (it burns! It burns!)

Wodjno
18-02-2006, 07:58 PM
I might take Rich & Wodjwotsit up on their big garage offer-

That'll be WOUTER then :inquisiti /pan :happy:

richy rich
18-02-2006, 08:05 PM
hi bern

you can do one off two things pay £25 for the use of the workshop per day

or we can have a look at it the hourly rate is going to be very low below £20.(for members not decided for non members yet but still good price)

bernmc
18-02-2006, 08:38 PM
That'll be WOUTER then :inquisiti /pan :happy:

Oh feck - it's worse than I thought!

Rich - I'll see what happens. I'm going to try to have a good squizz at the car in the daylight. If I can find the problem and decide what parts I need, it might be a nice excuse to see the local VR4 yokels again, so I'd give you cash for a day, and we could all come and play. Depends on levels of keen-ness amongst members too.

richy rich
18-02-2006, 08:41 PM
no prob bern it would be good to c u again

Kieran
18-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Feb is now full, but if you can wait till march, I could pop down!:happy:

Interestingly, whilst around at Nick Mann's today, his P/S pipes are sweating too - seems a common issue.... 7.6mm Fuel injection hose to the rescue!/yes

Physician
19-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Bern ......... don't know if it will help but have a look in the Library at engine photos reference A and G.

bernmc
19-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Bern ......... don't know if it will help but have a look in the Library at engine photos reference A and G.

yup - think this is the critter - it's just where the thing ends up after it dives down into the rear of the engine that I need to know....

sorry red circle didn't come out too well (at work) - bottom centre of both pics.

Bal
19-02-2006, 03:48 PM
bern had mine fixes, as scottish ian said the front cooling pipe for the power steering (goes infront of the radiator) had become porous as a result of sitting in the freezing cold for a month without beign driven.

to get this out you need to take the front bumper off. the part was £66.50 from Mitsi.

bal

Bazlightyear
19-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Is the leak on the drivers side and does it leak onto the bottom suspension arm, if so, I've got one aswell.

The problem with mine is that it's started to rot the rubber bushes in the bottom arm.

bernmc
20-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Is the leak on the drivers side and does it leak onto the bottom suspension arm, if so, I've got one aswell.

The problem with mine is that it's started to rot the rubber bushes in the bottom arm.

Yeah, it's drivers side. Looking at Nicks pics of his empty engine bay, it looks like that bloody pipe will be a nightmare to get at...