PDA

View Full Version : New Front mount

Munta
24-02-2006, 07:31 PM
hey guys. getting my front mount put on 2day. havent been here much been working hard. ill take progress pics etc before during and after the install.

OSiRiS
25-02-2006, 05:09 AM
Nice. Where, what size and how much?

Munta
27-02-2006, 05:37 AM
600x300x76
not guna say how much coz they cheaper on trade me but yer. went to put it on, on saturday. went to speedfactor here in tauranga to get some of those blue samco silcone hose's and the 1 piece i need the most they didnt have in stock. have to wait till 2moro to get. but its all good. cant wait till its on.
got me a boost tap to install as well. will do that at the same time :P

OSiRiS
27-02-2006, 05:53 AM
You will soon need to do your fuel pump, as I found out.

Munta
28-02-2006, 11:32 AM
How much did that set you back? did you wind the boost up heaps or na??

current pregress pics below

You See
28-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Looking good!:2thumbsup

pezza
28-02-2006, 11:38 AM
:thumbsup:

How much more to go before you are done?

Have you made (or do you plan to) any changes to fuelling?

Is the power steering coolant pipe cooperative with being moved back behind the new intercooler?

Cheers

OSiRiS
28-02-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm running standard boost with the same front mount intercooler and I experience fuel cut.

pezza
28-02-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm running standard boost with the same front mount intercooler and I experience fuel cut.

Have you changed anything to do with your induction?

OSiRiS
28-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Cold air box.

Adding the cold air box only increased the fuel cut, as expected. However I was experiencing fuel cut only when the intercooler was done if the car was pushed hard.

pezza
28-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Cold air box.

Adding the cold air box only increased the fuel cut, as expected. However I was experiencing fuel cut only when the intercooler was done if the car was pushed hard.

Thats surprising especially at standard boost and with standard airbox... I don't think fuel pump upgrade and FPR alone, will help so much here if its the ECU detecting something above it's factory set threshold... (maybe its the air volume/density reading :thinking: ) I guess e-manage/ECU upgrade/FCD will fix that?

Am thinking about intercooler upgrade later in year maybe, without any bumper/bar cutting if possible tho :D

Will be interesting to see how Munta gets on once its all finished .. /yes

Munta
28-02-2006, 08:10 PM
:thumbsup:

How much more to go before you are done?

Have you made (or do you plan to) any changes to fuelling?

Is the power steering coolant pipe cooperative with being moved back behind the new intercooler?

Cheers

should be all done 2nite. just had to wait for the shop to get in the last samco hose fitting still to pipe up to stock I/c piping >_<

i want to up the boost to like 12-14psi but with reading about fueling issues i dont know because i dont have the $ to make fueling changes at present.
i just hope the blitz ecu in it will help out and sort out the fuelling issues if any

haha powersteering coolant pipe... whats that?? na just got rid of that all 2gether and made pipe shorter.
power steering still works mint as you dont really need the coolant pipe that much on nz roads....
unless you insist on doing 30point turns every day :P

Im guessing you are running 98 octane bp's wonderfull gas. if so have you tried to buy a bottle of octane booster and mix that in? mite help out when pushing hard with the increased cold air?
i dont knw if that will work just a thought :S

OSiRiS
28-02-2006, 08:13 PM
That's to prevent detonation by raising the octane level...

Munta
28-02-2006, 08:17 PM
lol like i sed dont knw if it would work was just a thought... this is the 1st turbo car ive owned so not the easyest to learn **** on but im getting there :P

nutrok
01-03-2006, 07:12 AM
gud stuf munta. did you cut that metal bar on tha front?

Munta
02-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Update on front mount.
all fitted nicely and bumper put on. took for a mish, hard driving not speeding but hard driving thru hills and tight corners no fuel issues :)

all work completed myself also

i will take better pic of front mount during day sometime when car is clean hope you all like

ShadyNZer
02-03-2006, 01:08 PM
nice how youve moved the plate down too, havent seen that before...

as for the fuel cut thing...what actually happens?? im boostin bout 10psi at the mo and havent experienced anything funnyish...

Munta
02-03-2006, 01:16 PM
yea i didnt knw where else to put the plate so just chucked it there covers up that ugly piece that falls of most bumpers as well. its currently held there with the good ol trusty cable ties :D

i wouldnt have a clue about the fuel cut thing. i think that mayb OSiRiS has a pung fuel pump or something. i dont knw.
i knw that the person who owned the leggy b4 me put a blitz ecu in it so maybe that helps out with any fuelling issues i dunno. but no dramers as of yet

putting the i/c on freed up boost pressure up a lil bit by about 1.5psi so nothing major to talk about.

just found out i can get a 4 stage electronic boost controller for $450 does that seem cheap?

OSiRiS
02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Nope fuel pump is fine. Something I noticed though is that normal VR4s boost around 7 or 8ish standard.

When I first got my VR4 from the dealer, with 80,000km on it, the first thing I did was a Blitz Dual Fully Automatic Turbo Timer which has an inbuilt electronic boost gauge, and it read at .87 bar with no mods. Wether Super VR4s run high boost standard or if the car was tickled under the hood I don't know.

.87 bar = 12.62 psi

At the moment it still boosts at 12 psi, I have a boost controller but it's fully closed. However I've noticed after doing the intercooler it would fuel cut rarely, after the cold airbox it fuel cuts when it hits 12 psi. Obviously because the air is colder and alot dense. More oxygen molecules at the same amount of pressure.

Munta
02-03-2006, 06:24 PM
hmm ok then. well when i wind my boost up to 12-14psi ill let you knw if i have an fuelling issues. i hope not.

bradc
02-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Osiris that is interesting that you are running at 12.5psi stock, maybe that is something mitsi did change. Maybe we need to get some of the UK guys to measure their boost on their Super VR-4's.

My 600x300x100 intercooler is in my car, it fits fine behind the front bumper, although the crash bar at the front had to be cut away quite drastically.

OSiRiS
02-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Yea that's what I thought. There are no Super VR4s that I can compare to :|

Me and ABIM didn't have to cut away any bars or anything. All we did was cut away abit of the plastic front bumper :)

Kenneth
02-03-2006, 09:21 PM
where are you getting that reading from? the plenum or the boost control solenoid?

I cant boost above 10psi without getting fuel cut every time! (from the plenum)

Thats what i was doing under the bonnet at the Piha meet :P winding the boost down so i didnt get cut

OSiRiS
02-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Yup mine is from the plenum too :)

Kenneth
02-03-2006, 09:54 PM
hmmm... well i guess the dyno should give some indication of whats going on.

I even wound the MAF screw right out, and still got gaurenteed cut at at 12psi

ShadyNZer
02-03-2006, 11:07 PM
so what happens?? does the car just start to slow down or something?
mines funny when i boost hard in 3rd to goes to bout 10psi, in 4th it goes to bout 12psi....nifty

Osiris, u need some petrol man :p

Kenneth
02-03-2006, 11:26 PM
you just loose all power... it really screws up your acceleration :P

ShadyNZer
03-03-2006, 05:01 AM
oh ok, had that done once like just jolted hard, but i think it was the boost limiter cuttin out at 15psi

mpau009
03-03-2006, 05:55 AM
Nice looking install:2thumbsup I'd be keen to see a cost run down if your keen on sharing?

After reading those last few posts, with only a HKS filter and final exhaust section changed, i can boost quite happily on a cold day up to 1.1 / 1.2 bar (15-17 psi) until i hit the Fuel cut (terrifying if you don't know what it is /help ). Thats with the gauge reading from the u-bend out of the back of the plenum. Of course iv only done that once, but 10 - 13 psi is no problem.

Why would that be? Does fitting an intercooler actually increase the amount of air forced into the engine? I would have thought that the turbos would be no more efficient, and that if the air was colder it would take more effort to push?? i was thinking that maybe its more of an issue of the Temp and Airflow sensors reaching their limits, and confusing the ECU, as opposed to a staight boost cut thing???

Only other thing i can think of would be that the electronic boost controllers have a smoother curve than a boost tap? So any spikes are less?

Or maybe its because my car still has only 40K on the clock?

OSiRiS
03-03-2006, 08:28 AM
This has been covered in previous threads that I have started...

Anyways, apparently I know your brother. He is mates with a guy named James who I did the sound install in his Merc for. Have you heard his Merc yet? What are your thoughts ;)

mpau009
03-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Anyways, apparently I know your brother. He is mates with a guy named James who I did the sound install in his Merc for. Have you heard his Merc yet? What are your thoughts ;)

Nah, i don't have much to do with his mates, apparently i embarrass him...:2thumbsup And my Dad scares them away from our place.
But Iv heard good things about your system tho, .."makes my sub sound like wussie crap" (but i still like it:baby: )

Maybe oneday after i rob a bank or two i'll have to talk to you about an upgrade...:5shots:

mpau009
03-03-2006, 08:39 AM
BTW, don't have the link for that thread do you? i'm still trying to get my head around the whole turbo thing/pan

OSiRiS
03-03-2006, 12:03 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13181

Munta
05-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Nice looking install:2thumbsup I'd be keen to see a cost run down if your keen on sharing?

After reading those last few posts, with only a HKS filter and final exhaust section changed, i can boost quite happily on a cold day up to 1.1 / 1.2 bar (15-17 psi) until i hit the Fuel cut (terrifying if you don't know what it is /help ). Thats with the gauge reading from the u-bend out of the back of the plenum. Of course iv only done that once, but 10 - 13 psi is no problem.

Why would that be? Does fitting an intercooler actually increase the amount of air forced into the engine? I would have thought that the turbos would be no more efficient, and that if the air was colder it would take more effort to push?? i was thinking that maybe its more of an issue of the Temp and Airflow sensors reaching their limits, and confusing the ECU, as opposed to a staight boost cut thing???

Only other thing i can think of would be that the electronic boost controllers have a smoother curve than a boost tap? So any spikes are less?

total costs was
$400 i/c (bit high could of got cheaper which i mentiond)
$130 Blue right angle smaco silcone hose 3" down to stock pipe size
$20 straight samco hose
$10 for metal to make brackets to hold i/c

+ lil xtra for tools like hack saw etc

and thats it did all the work myself.
crash bar at front been removed :P
and lil bits cut out of bumper etc

interesting on the boost ur running with no fuel cut :S
i am able to get my hands on a gizzmo 4stage electronic boost controller for $450. is that cheap?
also how do the gizzmo controllers compare to blitz or hks or greddy? as everything that is done to my car is either blitz or hks at the moment was thinking bout keeping with the 2 brands. any thoughts would b great help thanx

mpau009
05-03-2006, 01:33 AM
interesting on the boost ur running with no fuel cut :S
i am able to get my hands on a gizzmo 4stage electronic boost controller for $450. is that cheap?

I got that Gizzmo IBC for $350, in the New Years sale at repco, but thats sounds about right. I don't really understand boost cut, and intercooling yet, i think its because the air i'm running must be significantly warmer, but i'm doing a bit of research. Have you noticed any increased power on long drives?

As for the other controllers, i can't say, but the Gizzmo unit adjusts the boost curve itself, to suit your car, where as the upmarket ones appear to have a manually adjustable settings, ie lower boost at launch , increasing, or whatever suits you, but i'm happy with the one iv got, it certainly seems to learn quickly, and controls boost spikes really well.

Intercoolers certainly seem an affordable enough mod, cheers for sharing the costs, i think i'll add it to my christmas list:2thumbsup

Munta
05-03-2006, 04:16 AM
yea its good on long trips went to aucks and back 2 days after install. saved me plenty on gas to coz of the colder air i guess

OSiRiS
05-03-2006, 06:23 AM
crash bar at front been removed :P

Hmmm I could fit mine with the intercooler on. Didn't yours fit?

Munta
05-03-2006, 07:36 PM
it proly would of... but didnt bother trying haha. mite put it back on 1 day soon

detonate
13-03-2006, 10:32 AM

I'm only guessing, but I think its because once you start messing with your plumbing/air filter/air box etc, using the standard ECU and not 'tweaking' it to match, you probably confused the MAF/ECU into thinking it has more/less air in the system than there actually is, and consequently feed you less/more fuel.

More means it would run richer and probably handle higher boost without detonation, but less means you would probably experience issues I imagine similar to what you're experiencing.

(or vice versa, it's trying to run richer than it needs to and its going '**** off you can't have that much fuel' *bang* and you feel the whole engine lose power and knock itself back on its engine mounts (it's a horrible sound/feeling I know :P ))

but yeah, like I say, thats just a guess, I'm pretty newbie when it comes to this stuff, I just like to play around :P

Someone please correct me/ learn me :)